Harmonic dampener recommendation

-

WCMachine

Reaction score
IMG_6372.JPG
looks like it's time for a new damper. The rubber is deteriorating and coming out. Been looking at the summit bracket racer damper but I really have no idea what I'm looking at. I'd like to get something decent. All suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
If it's just a daily driver stay stock. Yes there are $450 harmonic balancers. Do you really need that? Or do you spin that bad boy up to 8600 Rpm? Probably not. A good $100 or under balancer is fine.

IMG_6261.JPG
IMG_6363.JPG
I'm thinking internal. I know very little about the engines internals. The previous owner was not much help. Sounds to have a pretty large cam. I've been picking away at cleaning it up and getting it to run better. Adjusting the timing with lots of info from FABO, made a huge difference. The car is very nice, the engine not so much.

ok.....what size engine is it....318...340...360.

Just food for thought... those rad hoses are funky.... and may be limiting flow a bit due to the ridges and being smaller than normal. If the they are metallic, I would wonder if they would eventually fail due to metal fatigue from normal vibrations. And they go to opposite sides from normal. It looks like you have a '70 and later water pump with a '69 and earlier rad setup. That results in those long hoses.

BTW, you can also get you original damper rebuilt by the Damper Doctor in CA. Just another way to go, not any particular endorsement.

Yeah, I'm waiting till the winter to put a proper radiator and hoses in it. Oddly enough it runs at 165 begrees most of the time and never goes over 180 in traffic.

It's not marked but it looks like a summit.
I was actually thinking about moving the inlet and outlet to the opposite sides. And welding covers over the old holes.

OK, I can't tell from just that. I was trying to figure if the rad was a vertical flow or cross flow type. In VT, I'd expect very little of sitting around in traffic, plus relatively cool temps. That all has to help keep things cooled.

OK, I can't tell from just that. I was trying to figure if the rad was a vertical flow or cross flow type. In VT, I'd expect very little of sitting around in traffic, plus relatively cool temps. That all has to help keep things cooled.
Looks to be a cross flow.

I would only recommend an SFI approved version of the lower price point choices. The non-sfi ones are a crap shoot. I've lost that twice now. So my advice is buy a good one, or buy a used factory piece in good shape.

I had a Pioneer SFI, it looked nice. I had a SFI 'fluid' C.A.T. and i thought it looked terrific! Big **** though....I think Summit is the same as Pioneer.

Looks to be a cross flow.
OK, I thought it might be from the top edge pix; the tubes would be horizontal. I have to wonder if that has something to do with why it cools well. I have been looking at Griffin crossflows....

OK, I thought it might be from the top edge pix; the tubes would be horizontal. I have to wonder if that has something to do with why it cools well. I have been looking at Griffin crossflows....
Got the flash light out and found that it's northern radiator #9602

Got the flash light out and found that it's northern radiator #9602
Cool... crossflow per online info. Man, that thing is 19 x 28"...! Is the opneing in your radiator support opened up for the added width?

PS: Looks it is two 1" rows and the new PN is 209672....

Last edited:
-
Back