Looking at purchasing a "portable garage" (aka, tent) for temp storage. Any recommendations?

-

ProjectBazza

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need to purchase a "portable garage" somewhat like this one soon (random interwebs pic):

44.JPG

I like what I'm seeing on Shelter Logic, but does anyone have experience with this, or any other, brand?

Thanks!

(Edit: I'm looking for something that's at least 24' long so I can fit my extended cab, 8' bed, 3/4 ton truck into, if need be. Why 24'? The garage stalls up at the house are 20' and 24' deep, and the truck fits the 24' stall just fine. The 20' stall? Not so much!)

Last edited:
I need to purchase a "portable garage" somewhat like this one soon (random interwebs pic):

View attachment 1716247705

I like what I'm seeing on Shelter Logic, but does anyone have experience with this, or any other, brand?

Thanks!
I've been thinking about one as well, but the winds around here have shredded every one I've seen so far.

I bought a couple from Costco when they were on sale, but I haven't put them up yet. Trees and bushes in the way, lots of wind, and my garages are behind two greenhouse projects for the gf.

I've been thinking about one as well, but the winds around here have shredded every one I've seen so far.
I'm clearing some trees and brush in the woods behind the shed/shop especially for this (no pics of this yet), and I've been out there when it's "pretty damn windy", and due to the surrounding trees and such, I'm pretty confident the wind won't be an issue.

Now of course if one of those old trees happens to fall on it....

I bought a couple from Costco when they were on sale, but I haven't put them up yet. Trees and bushes in the way, lots of wind, and my garages are behind two greenhouse projects for the gf.
Never thought to look at Costco, thanks!

(LOL!) I was going to ask if the Costco "tents" were capable of dealing with snow ("snow rated"?), but then I looked at your location...

:lol:

Very little snow here at 115° in the summer (I've seen 123° on the back porch, in the shade). Heating the garage is not a problem.
The sun seems to kill them first.
And I've still got a fallen tree here to take care of too (16" trunk). Thankfully it didn't fall on the house, or our boundary fence.

They are shitty. Tons of them around here with the tarps destroyed and the metal frame standing. If they don't cave in, the sun destroys them.

I had the Costco ones. It lasted 2 winters and one summer. It got hella windy where I was and over all was impressed for what it was.

I had one of the HF units, I would not get it again. I'm not a HF basher, but the design was pretty poor. I've used Shelter Logic many times. They have one that's 12x26 or so that's nice and has optional side walls.

No portable shelter will stand up to snow, high wind, or other extreme weather. I've anchored them down and sometimes they still walk away. If you can put it somewhere that's protected from the wind and keep the snow off of it, your chances of survival go up quite a bit.

I’ve used the ones that Costco sells, they work very well for what they are. They’re quite sturdy and come with all the anchors you need to hold them down. I had mine bolted down to a concrete pad, so it wasn’t going anywhere. The roof would last about two seasons before the sun wiped it out, they used to sell just a roof replacement panel for them so you could just buy that a heck of a lot cheaper than buying a whole structure again just to replace the roof panel.

I wasn’t using it where snow was a problem at the time, I think the instructions say they’re not rated for any kind of snow load.

For a few hundred bucks they’re a good option for keeping a car outside and relatively out of the elements for a few years, but that’s about the life span of them

I'm clearing some trees and brush in the woods behind the shed/shop especially for this (no pics of this yet), and I've been out there when it's "pretty damn windy", and due to the surrounding trees and such, I'm pretty confident the wind won't be an issue.

Now of course if one of those old trees happens to fall on it....
Where I live these are about $3300 installed with two sides as shown. This ones 20x25x7. The 7' is where the wall meets the roof edge.
1715292736860.png

I have a 10 x 10 shelter logic shed. Its seen 2 Wisconsin winters and showing some wear. Then again I lag screwed it to a 2 x 6 construction wood floor so its got a sturdy base. I bought this to throw some FAMILY CRAP that has been laying around the shop FOREVER. I could care LESS about this stuff and would toss it all out, but they are all SAVE THIS and I WANT IT OUT. So I got this tent thing dealie at half price, ($75) and I didn’t care how long it lasted as much as I don’t care if the crap in it rots to hell. It’s out of my shop. I’m storing it. If they don’t like it, COME TAKE IT AWAY.

I’m satisfied with how the shed has held up, especially for what I paid for it. But if I had to buy full price, I’d go HF or buy whatever is cheapest.

For a temporary solution, the Costco ones are tough to beat. I had one last 4+ years with all 4 seasons.

.......And that's why we will never win with the environment. A couple of years......Off to the landfill.

This makes me sick when I think that this happens year after year......

1715295729495.jpeg

If you've got ****, pay to have it stored inside, or build something Non-Temporary.

Sorry, my rant for today!

IMG_3741.JPG

.......And that's why we will never win with the environment. A couple of years......Off to the landfill.

This makes me sick when I think that this happens year after year......

View attachment 1716247868

If you've got ****, pay to have it stored inside, or build something Non-Temporary.

Sorry, my rant for today!

View attachment 1716247869

My Duster has lived outside the entire 12 years I’ve owned it. It’s a car, not a sugar cube.

I’d rather see a car parked in someone’s driveway and being driven than shrink wrapped in their garage for a bi-annual trip to the Dairy Queen.

See the bump to the right of my plow truck? Yeah, that’s my Duster. Still works just fine.

IMG_4166.jpeg

Nothing lasts forever, just how it goes

I had one of the HF units, I would not get it again. I'm not a HF basher, but the design was pretty poor. I've used Shelter Logic many times. They have one that's 12x26 or so that's nice and has optional side walls.

No portable shelter will stand up to snow, high wind, or other extreme weather. I've anchored them down and sometimes they still walk away. If you can put it somewhere that's protected from the wind and keep the snow off of it, your chances of survival go up quite a bit.
Thanks!

I think I got most of my space cleared-out this evening, and if I go with a 24' x 12' or 14', that oughtta be about right.

Still no pictures of what I cleared-out (it got too dark on me), but it's in the woods, and pretty well protected by the trees.

My Duster has lived outside the entire 12 years I’ve owned it. It’s a car, not a sugar cube.

I’d rather see a car parked in someone’s driveway and being driven than shrink wrapped in their garage for a bi-annual trip to the Dairy Queen.

See the bump to the right of my plow truck? Yeah, that’s my Duster. Still works just fine.

View attachment 1716247871

Nothing lasts forever, just how it goes
Whoa, baby! Is that a '69 Highboy? (Nice!!!) If so, it would fit right in around here:

IMG_5235.JPG

Regardless, the shed/shop seen above isn't insulated, and I don't have room for one of my boats right now, so I'm thinking of moving the contents of the shed/shop outdoors while I have it insulated...and have some windows installed. Once that's done the "portable garage" will simply be a weather cover for my boats, as I, too, believe in driving my vehicles.

Last edited:
-
Back