New rallye dash replacement gauges/tachs (some insider news from the supplier)

-
Below is a shot of the dash I assembled
Nice looking dash! I don't know what year your tach is from.

So I cancelled my order with Classic and ordered a tach from AMS- they have a 2 week lead time for this item. I had already waited 4 months with Classic. AMS also had an AM radio that was on my "needed" list so that will be coming my way.

Thanks to all for the input,
Steve

Update: The used tachometer mentioned in the OP has been sold. However, if you want a new one, see post #26 ^above^. He was quoted only a two week lead time. You'll want to call them to place an order, because their websites are the worst and often they show out-of-stock on things they actually have or are building, but you can't place an order online. Their phone service is usually excellent. The manufacturer is AMS Obsolete, but they have several different names that they sell various products under. Here is a link to one of them specific to the tachs: Mopar Restoration and Performance A-BODY DASH-RELATED, Tachometers

At a car show (Cars & Coffee type) at Gateway Classics in Denver area, I saw this '67 Barracuda Convertible with a 6.4L Hemi and 8 speed automatic. Beautiful car, but this instrument selection is something that I never saw before. Can anyone identify the source of these gauges. The speedometer is combined with the tachometer in the left gauge and the right cluster looks aftermarket but tastefully done. But I have no idea where these gauges came from and have never seen this setup previously. Be very interested to know more about them. I have my '68 FB FS nearly complete, so I won't go this way, but others may be interested.

20240525_103104.jpg

20240525_103110.jpg

20240525_103148.jpg

20240525_103148.jpg

At a car show (Cars & Coffee type) at Gateway Classics in Denver area, I saw this '67 Barracuda Convertible with a 6.4L Hemi and 8 speed automatic. Beautiful car, but this instrument selection is something that I never saw before. Can anyone identify the source of these gauges. The speedometer is combined with the tachometer in the left gauge and the right cluster looks aftermarket but tastefully done. But I have no idea where these gauges came from and have never seen this setup previously. Be very interested to know more about them. I have my '68 FB FS nearly complete, so I won't go this way, but others may be interested.

View attachment 1716256224

View attachment 1716256225

View attachment 1716256226

View attachment 1716256227

The 4in1 gauge looks like this one, but I didn't find a speedo/tach one to match what is in that car.

37205-01dualfront__75452.1653329145.jpg

WOODWARD 4 3/8" 2 GAUGE KIT BLACK

The 4in1 gauge looks like this one, but I didn't find a speedo/tach one to match what is in that car.
It looks like it is not a tach, but an original rallye "Performance Indicator" (vacuum gauge).

UPDATE: D'oh, I see now I was looking at the wrong hole.
:rofl: Yeah that dual speedo tach dealio sure is unique.

Last edited:
Here is an update on how things ultimately shook out regarding the aftermarket replacement gauges. After working with the supplier to resolve the fitment issues, and receiving my modified gauge set back from them, I ultimately decided after all to stick with a working set of factory gauges I had on the shelf. This was a difficult decision, but ultimately it came down to deciding (for now) to trade the benefit of the improved accuracy and reliability of the replacement gauges for the significantly better (IMO) light pattern of the factory set. I've included a picture of the bench test comparison below.

The intended redesign of the gauges that the tech at AMS Obsolete says they are committed to is not going to be something that will happen overnight. But I am all-in on installing new sets of them in both my cars when it does. Especially given that after everything they did to try to satisfy my concerns - and it is worth noting that all of this occurred almost a year after I originally purchased them - AMS graciously offered to take my set back for a FULL REFUND. These guys are a class act and I cannot recommend them enough for quality products that they will stand behind.

Here are some links to their various websites. One caveat is that you will always want to call them to place an order. Do not rely on what the websites say as to current stock status or availability.
Light Test.png

Last edited:
There is a fitment issue causing light not to shine correctly around gauges? They aren't shaped correctly or don't mount correctly?

It is so nice to know that there is a reputable supplier out there that stands behind their products. Having finished restoring my '68 FS FB 340, I found a number of suppliers that I would not use again and several that I would fully endorse. Cars Rember When did a fabulous job painting and finishing the work started by AMD. AMD did a great job on the fenders, rear valance, and USCT Stage 2 chassis stiffening system. Andrews Racing Transmission was great with the A727. I would really look for a different supplier than PG Classics for a dash bezel, but there are few choices. Just Dashes was way to slow and very costly, but would have done a good job given the chance. Much of the rubber products had fitment issues. Close, but required a lot of rework to make right.
So I am glad I stuck with as many stock components such as instruments as possible.

Here is an update on how things ultimately shook out regarding the aftermarket replacement gauges. After working with the supplier to resolve the fitment issues, and receiving my modified gauge set back from them, I ultimately decided after all to stick with a working set of factory gauges I had on the shelf. This was a difficult decision, but ultimately it came down to deciding (for now) to trade the benefit of the improved accuracy and reliability of the replacement gauges for the significantly better (IMO) light pattern of the factory set. I've included a picture of the bench test comparisons below.

The intended redesign of the gauges that the tech at AMS Obsolete says they are committed to is not going to be something that will happen overnight. But I am all-in on installing new sets of them in both my cars when it does. Especially given that after everything they did to try to satisfy my concerns - and it is worth noting that all of this occurred almost a year after I originally purchased them - AMS graciously offered to take my set back for a FULL REFUND. These guys are a class act and I cannot recommend them enough for quality products that they will stand behind.

Here are some links to their various websites. One caveat is that you will always want to call them to place an order. Do not rely on what the websites say as to current stock status or availability.
View attachment 1716259313
Ma Mopars original dash gauges are hard to top in this application. These look much much better than the convertible gauges posted above.

There is a fitment issue causing light not to shine correctly around gauges? They aren't shaped correctly or don't mount correctly?
TBD. All we know for sure is that there is a definite fitment (design) issue with the ammeter that consistently causes it to contact the center post of the housing when it should not. The fitment issues with the other three appear to be intermittent (these are all individually hand-built, btw).

As for whether these issues are related to the light delivery being off is undetermined. What I can say is that the set that I installed in the Barracuda a few years ago has the same problem. It is not terrible by any means, but also is not right when compared to factory.

-
Back