´68 BB vs SB K-Member difference?

-

SSing

Reaction score
It seem to me there is a difference in how the steering box mounting bracket is placed on the K-member on the two?
Motor mount brackets we can leve out, just the steering box mount is interesting here.
Looking to alter a SB K-member in to a ´68 BB K-member. Yes ´68, unless you know for sure ´67 -´69 was all alike. We know, not seldom thing varied slightley from year to year, but like I say, you know about that in this case.
And for your attention, just a random pic a foggy day, from a Swedish farm in the late seventies...
Damn... I need to take a deep breath... guess I´m getting sensetive when it comes to old photos.
Take care.
20210327 Farm Dart FORUM.jpg

Last edited:
Never noticed any outward differences in the two. Of course the 67 had a different idler arm bracket. The person who would know the differences outright would be Al Debevic in Wiconsin, he is the one who updates k-frames into A-Body Hemi k-frames...

Swede4speed 2019 HR drag week.....love it !!! You swedes really know how to check out!!#wtfninesecondstreetdart......did you know the car??

SB A body K frames were modded into B/RB k frames "after" the basic K was pulled from the jig with the steering box, LCA, and idler arm locations welded in. From there they were modded into a B/RB K frame. I have seen a few of em, and quite honestly the first time I saw one, it looked to me like somebodies butchered to **** home brewed setup. After seeing 3 of em up for sale in 3 different parts of the country, and all of them looking to be modded exactly the same, this is the conclusion I came to.

Last edited:
This here is what I am talking about.
I can get a better angle of the SB member, but think this is good enough...
Reason I notice somthing wasn´t right, is I´m building a Hemi K-member, and couldnt get it to line up the way I wanted...
20210327 min kb 3.jpg

Nordin BB so good 2.jpg

Well, we have a fact here.
Should be someone on a specialized Forum like this, who knows his Big Block A-body... in and out...

Looking at your two pics those are definitely different. The small block steering box bracket would need to be trimmed to match the big block position. Probably a hole cut in back side of k frame for bolt to go through. Where as the small block has a stamped recess . I measured a factory big block k and a small block k and they were a little different. Was not sure if it was bad tolerances or big versus small. I cut my small block box off and moved it to match the big block. Tiny bit. PIA
My k is a 68 with spool mounts. Was going to modify the 73 k for big block k but is was a wrecked one. So I hacked the 68.

IMG_20210330_203413344_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Looking at your two pics those are definitely different. The small block steering box bracket would need to be trimmed to match the big block position. Probably a hole cut in back side of k frame for bolt to go through. Where as the small block has a stamped recess . I measured a factory big block k and a small block k and they were a little different. Was not sure if it was bad tolerances or big versus small. I cut my small block box off and moved it to match the big block. Tiny bit. PIA
My k is a 68 with spool mounts. Was going to modify the 73 k for big block k but is was a wrecked one. So I hacked the 68.

View attachment 1715716409

Yes, like I said

View attachment 1715716409

Yes thanks, well all BB K-members I have seen, is made this way, so not a tolerance issue. And like you say, there is a cut in the K-member too. Mopar needed clearance somewhere for the BB-engine is the only reason I can think of...
Question is where?

They didn't do the same mod to the DC k-member. So, it must not have been completely necessary...

So I took a look in my DC Racing Manuals, and sure enough. Three different BB K-members for A-body.
´67 K-member PN 2881925, ´68 PN 2883984 and ´68 w/p.s. PN 2883999 ´69 PN 2883999
The DC piece P4007935 has spool mount, so not really an adequat comparation here.

So I took a look in my DC Racing Manuals, and sure enough. Three different BB K-members for A-body.
´67 K-member PN 2881925, ´68 PN 2883984 and ´68 w/p.s. PN 2883999 ´69 PN 2883999
The DC piece P4007935 has spool mount, so not really an adequat comparation here.

I disagree on whether it is important to the discussion. I've run power steering on home built DC k-members without any interference problems. To the question of whether you are building an accurate duplicate of the factory big block A-body big block k-member you probably need to move the bracket. Power steering was not available on the '67 big block cars.

I disagree on whether it is important to the discussion. I've run power steering on home built DC k-members without any interference problems. To the question of whether you are building an accurate duplicate of the factory big block A-body big block k-member you probably need to move the bracket. Power steering was not available on the '67 big block cars.

yes ok, but still, it has to be a good reason why Chrysler deveroped a BB-specific K-Member. Cost was always an issue, so my question is still why didn´t they just weld BB brackets to the same basic K-member all other engines used?
I would be interesting though, if someone had an original 1969 BB K-member, since this is same as for ´68 p.s.
Show us an original 1969 BB A-body K-member please... Thanks....

-
Back