‘63 and ‘64 Dart motors

-

panoply

Reaction score
hi. Does anyone know if engine block numbers reliably indicate their year of production? Also, is there any way to reliably determine 225 vs 170 ci motors just from looking at them? Thanks.

Not with block casting numbers. There are numbers stamped on the top of the block (deck surface) that sticks out past the head just below the number one spark plug hole. If the block has been decked the numbers will not be there.
The water pump bypass hose between the water pump and the head is about 3 inches long for the 198/225 engines. The hose on the 170 is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long.

if you wanted to give your slant 6 to the best of the best slant 6 engine builder who could simply restore it to the smooth and reliable friend it had been, who would you use and where are they. Thanks
Anywhere in the US.

There are several I know, including myself. Unfortunately, many/most are aging and not doing work for other people. Also, like in my case the machine shop(s) I used have shut down. I still have not found a replacement shop that I have confidence in.

Anywhere in the US, i would bet John’s Machine Shop in CO ciuld handle a complete rebuild. They have numerous vidéos on YouTube showcasing engines from John Deere tractors to a late 60s Jaguar 4.2 to a stroker Chrysler 413. I’m suitBly impressed with their attention to derail snd work

-
Back