‘69 Dodge Dart Bench Removal?

-

Nico O'Hara

Reaction score
Hello! How in the world do I remove the front bench seat in my dart? I got it moved forward and now it won’t move back.. I have no clue what to do.

Have you removed the nuts/ fasterners underneatrh? There are four. What I did was remove the seat backs, which makes it smaller and lighter, then just pull the seat out the pass side. You may need to put some scrap plywood/ blanket down for "padding" rotate it "on edge" to get it out IF IT is a 4 door.

You have a factory service manual? If no, go to MyMopar and download one for free. You may have to settle for Plymouth vs. Dodge

Underneath as in underneath the car? It’s a 4 door. I’m have trouble getting to the bolts in the slide rails since it seems to be stuck forward.

Under the car from the outside.

They might be covered on undercoat.

The studs are welded to the seat track and go through holes in the carpet and floor pan.

As stated before 4 nuts and the seat comes out.

There are latches on each side, controlled by a crossover wire via the driver side lever.

So, if the crossover wire breaks the passenger side will not disengage.

If you have a helper, you could manually move the under seat latch arm on each side to push the seat back.

Be careful though! The tracks are spring loaded so they can bite fingers if something goes wrong.

Here’s a picture

image.jpg

You don't need to remove the dash to get the ignition switch out. It only takes a few minutes to do that.

oh okay! How would one do that?
Disconnect the battery, spray the chrome switch bezel with WD40, reach behind the switch with one hand, and unscrew the bezel with your other hand. Wiggling and slightly rotating the switch body will help the bezel come loose. If you have the special bezel socket that will make things simple, but, usually they're not on all that tight. If it is, and you don't have the special tool, or, the wherewithal to make one, use an old dull screwdriver as a chisel and GENTLY tap a slot in the bezel counterclockwise to loosen it. Just be careful with the surrounding plastic as it's a one year only part (as is the switch and bezel for that matter).

-
Back