‘71 Scamp, radio n speaker/s

-

newbie del

Reaction score
Does anyone have a picture and size of the OE. dash mounted speaker? How does it attach in places?

Del S

From my '72 Scamp
CAM00469adjust.jpg

The black speaker mounting plate is attached with 2 of what is called keyhole stud and nuts. You would need to remove the dash vents to install or remove those studs. Somewhere in the aftermarket there is a custom plate for 2 small round speakers. I think that plate is attached with same factory studs.

There was a member here that was selling a plate that allowed two 4" speakers to mount in that position. I had had an old speaker to trace, so I made my own. The screws fit into a pocket. Someone also posted some "elevator" bolts (try McMasterCarr) that fit.

The black speaker mounting plate is attached with 2 of what is called keyhole stud and nuts. You would need to remove the dash vents to install or remove those studs. Somewhere in the aftermarket there is a custom plate for 2 small round speakers. I think that plate is attached with same factory studs.

Thanks fellows. Great pic under dash. I found SS #10 carriage bolts that work perfectly. Put bolts in with nuts and tightened the nuts up tight. Took a piece of cardboard of an approximate size, stuck it up against the 2 bolts to get center distance. That's all I needed to confirm. Now in the process of fabricating the speaker mount plate from a piece of aluminum sheet to fit the two 4" speakers that I purchased. Once I get speakers in, on to new defrost tunes.
Del S

-
Back