02 sensor removal help

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
so im working on my GF's parents nissan mini truck with a 2.4L... and im trying to get the O2 sensor out... well like everything else on the truck they never have replaced ANYTHING... plugs had no strap left on them lol...

any ways i tried the o2 socket but no dice... its a 22mm but it wont grab enough of the last to sides due to the cut out so it just expands and spins...

im been sprayin it with PB all day and tapping it with a hammer to try to loosen it up (not hitting the sensor)...

getting ready to weld something to it and go that route...

bummer is that it has a complete crack thru the manifold between the front and rear banks so i really would rather just get a hole manifold... grrr....

any advice?

Does it run? Sometimes getting the motor warmed up will help. Do you have room for a 12 point boxed in wrench?
~Michael

I would try using a 7/8" Wrench on it 1st. And if that don't work heat it with a torch. Don't heat the sensor heat around the sensor.. I've all ways just used a 7/8 wrench on them.. That socket has never worked for me..

Does it run? Sometimes getting the motor warmed up will help. Do you have room for a 12 point boxed in wrench?
~Michael

yes it runs and drives...

i have a long 22mm, used for my alignment wrenches... and couldn't get it to budge...

I would try using a 7/8" Wrench on it 1st. And if that don't work heat it with a torch. Don't heat the sensor heat around the sensor.. I've all ways just used a 7/8 wrench on them.. That socket has never worked for me..

i'll try heat... thx

MoparKid,
I think my brother in law has a good manifold on his. Truck has been sitting for a couple years due to a cracked head. I can ask him if he wants to sell it if you need 1.
~Michael

Heat it cherry red. Douse it with water, and use a good big vice grip to take it out.

MoparKid,
I think my brother in law has a good manifold on his. Truck has been sitting for a couple years due to a cracked head. I can ask him if he wants to sell it if you need 1.
~Michael

yea see what he wants for it... and if he can get the O2 out first LOL...

and its odd you seem to have everything need lol...

Heat it cherry red. Douse it with water, and use a good big vice grip to take it out.

the 22 open still grabs so im gonna heat and try a cheater bar on it... but what would heating and then quenching it so fast do?

It's rare we see them in the shop that won't budge with a wrench and a lot of grunting, buy when we do, we heat up the bung with a torch and it comes right out.

The heat will loosen up the rust. Then shocking it with cold water will help loosen it up by shrinking it. I work maintenance in a salt plant. We deal with lots of severely rusted up fasteners every day.

hey if has a cracked exhaust manifold new o2 sensor will not work correctly due to exhaust leaking out before sensor can read correct conten of o2

The heat will loosen up the rust. Then shocking it with cold water will help loosen it up by shrinking it. I work maintenance in a salt plant. We deal with lots of severely rusted up fasteners every day.

interesting... heat its self didn't work so i'll try and shock it...

hey if has a cracked exhaust manifold new o2 sensor will not work correctly due to exhaust leaking out before sensor can read correct conten of o2

i know but being its not my truck and neither party has the money to get a manifold yet... smog is due by the end of the month...

ok well i got it out... kinda lol... the o2 sensor on these threads into an insert which threads into the manifold...

so it unthreaded the whole thing with the insert and sensor still locked...

so i proceeded to heat and dunk the thing a couple of times... put the insert in the vise and welded a bar to the o2... and got them apart...

bummer of course is the threads for the o2 are now jacked up in the insert... lol...:eek:ops::banghead::banghead:

so now i need to get a new insert... but they seem to not exist in any parts store...

so any idea's on going from about a 22mm in the manifold to 18 on the sensor??

A spark plug thread chaser is the same size thread, you can get one cheap at autozone. Try running one through it to clean up the threads?

Moparkid,
Not sure how ti fix what you have. Going over to my brother-in-laws now to check on that manifold.
~Michael
still interested on that mani thanks!

A spark plug thread chaser is the same size thread, you can get one cheap at autozone. Try running one through it to clean up the threads?

ok well i got lucky and the dealer had one! so i drive into town... looks right except the inside hole is like 10mm not 18mm !?!? so he hunts around the back with no luck... calls another dealer on the east end of town, they have the right one! long story short i got it back together!

-
Back