0'ing my cam

-

DusterBoy15

THE WISE(guy) MEMBER
Reaction score
ok i know how to 0 my my crank by putting the #1 piston to TDC. but how to i put the cam to 0?

do i put it so the both lifter are at max hight? or what thanks

If your installing it straight up = neither advanced or retarded .
You would line up the timing marks on the crank and cam gears .(vertically)
Crank gear mark pointing up cam gear mark pointing down @ the crank gear mark.slip the chain over the crank gear then install the cam gear W/chain(carefully) The keyway will insure the camshaft is zero'ed.Any repair manual should have illustrations of this.:study:

i think what im going to do is

install the stock timing gear set so that it 0's the cam and crank together then remove the stock set then install the GEAR DRIVE SET

jomoper, if you line up the marks like that on an la engine then #6 is at top dead center(crank up and cam down)I believe on most for tdc #1 both marks should be at the 12 o'clock. I may be wrong since it's been awhile since I've done this but, I just remember from all the threads about it.

milodon has a tech line call it buisness hours mon thru fri and get the strait poop

You need a cam degree kit to zero in the cam. You can put the cam in and install the timing components weather they are a timing gear set or gear drive, belt or what ever. But that's no guarantee it'll be zero'd in. Summit and Jegs both sells cam degree kits for about $100-125 I think. It has the instructions with it.

As far as the gear drives go. They install the same as a gear set. They have marks to line up. If when you check the timing and it is off you change it by installing it a advance or retard key of the proper ammount you need i.e. -1,+1,-2,+2,-3,+3, etc...

-
Back