1,200 horsepower 727

-

Mopastor

Reaction score
Hi All, I want to keep my 727 if possible, but I love my feet too. Is there anyone who has run a 727 with 1,200 horsepower without fear? I'm thinking lenco and would preffer not to switch to a glide, but I want to be safe too. Any advise or referalls would be helpfulll.

Thanks!

Soon to be running 8.50's!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gonna be one high dollar 727 when a turbo 400 will do it much cheaper.

If you have enough money to go 8.5, you have enough money for a shield. :violent1:

I am using the A&A Ultimate steel drum. They say it is explosion proof. Part number 22555BSBPWR. Currently $775 but is still cheaper than a new leg.

I already have a kevlar sheild for what I'm running now. I just have seen when 727's go its pretty catastrophic shield or no sheild.

You should tos sthe shield. SFI rating or not it won't stop a drum explosion. but - the way to stop it is to use a billet steel high gear clutch drum. Although - if you're under 2500lbs - I'd say run an Ultraglide. You won't ever break it. At 1200hp in a racing environment I'd worry that you'll need to build two for a season.

Gonna be one high dollar 727 when a turbo 400 will do it much cheaper.
This.
I wondered about a C-4 too.......they can be made to handle a ton of power and don't have anywhere near the rotating mass of a T-400.
I am not aware of an adapter / bellhousing for the swap , but it is intriguing.

Thanks for the replies guys, I heard that the griner brakes add band apply so that if the sprag brakes it will be less prone to grenade.

I'm looking into a lenco, does anyone know much about them. Are the older CS1's any good? I may buy used. ATI has decent glides, but my car weighs 3450 with me in it.

ugh... that's too heavy to make the 'glide worth it. I really think you need to think about it tho. Super sprag, all the toys, etc will cost a lot and has to be reliable. That C4 might be something to look into too. You're beyond where I'd normally be playing...lol

What are some of the faster "Hemi SuperStock" cars using? Some of them have got to be pushing near 1000hp.......

Cope, as "fly" said, is surely worth a phone call.

I am a little curious how your getting there? A huge turbo or late stage juice may be a little easier on the combo. If it's a crank driven boost, that can bring in some serious torque down low, and make it much harder on the trans, not to mention your gonna need a pretty serious converter.

Also, if you decide to go to a alternative, even though they do build some Mopar transmissions, you may look here....

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/

I moved from just a few miles from there shop just as they were becoming big, but I know they build a quality product and a bunch of Ford guys love them....

You should tos sthe shield. SFI rating or not it won't stop a drum explosion. but - the way to stop it is to use a billet steel high gear clutch drum. Although - if you're under 2500lbs - I'd say run an Ultraglide. You won't ever break it. At 1200hp in a racing environment I'd worry that you'll need to build two for a season.

and then buy another when they so go home and install a shield lol... and im talking about the full one, not just torque converter cover

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/csi-836/overview/

My point was a blanket IMO is the best way to go. More of PITA, but it will stop the parts exiting should a worst case happen. The CSI shield just breaks. I'm not condoning not running anything...that'd be just silly...lol.

What are some of the faster "Hemi SuperStock" cars using?n

Last time I looked the Hemi SS are running 904 internals in a 727 case and changing them out after 3 to 4 runs! That's been a while back, so they coulda' changed to something else.

Is there anyone who has run a 727 with 1,200 horsepower without fear?

ok, i'll keep you posted on how it goes this season. 1200hp shouldn't be a problem for a 727, that's not a terrible large amount for one to handle. i built my own two years ago, i don't have alot of full pases on it but plenty of out of the gate shots. some of the extra parts in mine are an aluminum drum with 6 disc in it and a hemi band. i did have cope change out the aluminum front planet to a steel body on my straight cut gears because i ripped out the splines. manual vb, deep pan, screen filter and most all the other little tricks are done to it. my two convertors i sent to jw and had the sprags changed to his mechanical diode.

Attachments

• vb brake 033.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 232
You DO realize many F/X cars ran TFs with very little mods to 'em & some were way past 1200hp? I'm not saying not to upgrade stuff, I just think you're under-estimating the TFs and spending mone where you may not need (i.e. Lenco!:confused:)

An eye opening thread. Ridden in 800 h.p. setups(Turbo 400). Makes you appreciate your mortality.

-
Back