1.5L/90ci Blower On A Slant

-
I would say run it.
A quick google search proved thst many 90ci blowers are used on ford 3.9L V6 engines running 11sec 1/4 mile times.

Yeah, the ford and buicks with 3.8L used 62ci and 90 ci blowers.
The slant is almost the same volume at 3.7 L.

I have a spare M-B 300D 3.0L turbo I might someday try on my slant. I doubt being for a diesel matters. They generally limit to 10 psi boost, but some owners crank to 20 psi at the risk of melted pistons. Mine is from an 85 CA model, unique 1-yr only due to the special exhaust manifold w/ catalyst. Many swap to the federal exhaust so there may be many CA turbos available cheap.

Bill, careful on the diesel turbos as the oil control is sometimes different on those as they run without vacuum or something like that. Google it, just an fyi, maybe be old school turbos though.

The biggest limitation on those factory style M-90 superchargers, like the ones in the T-bird Super Coupes was rotor speed, and how they heated the air. The same things occurred with the Gran Prix GTPs...you can buy ported housings and they'll move the same air with less heat, but you're still limited to about 18k rpm rotor speed. Also, those apps used a air/water heat exchanger with it's own cooling loop, so using one of those to their max effort would include you installing a cooling loop for the intercooler, plus a fluid circuit/pump system to move it all. The parts could all be acquired from a wrecked GTP or T-Bird SC, but they'd likely have to be modded to fit your app, and then buying replacement parts isn't exactly cheap.

If you can swing it, maybe try to find a used Lightning blower...M-112 (1.8L) displacement. All the same rules apply, but you don't have to pulley it as much to make the same air movement (notice I didn't say boost) and it won't heat the air as much.

People with the melted pistons were usually from Lightnings and 03-04 Cobras with the back left bank cylinders 7&8 because the air coming out of the blower was overtemped (because the blower is overpullied) and the intercooler loses efficiency on that corner-it's the last part of the intercooler before the coolant exits to have the heat exchanged.

So, you have overheated compressed intake air charge not being cooled by the intercooler and now being compressed further by the engine-makes for exceeded limits. Then it's time to upgrade :)

20psi out of a 1.5L? can it be done?

I'm not saying it can't but, as mentioned above, boost is a function of restriction. If you're pushing an M90 head unit into a stock 225, very likely, but it'll heat up the air quite a bit and you might actually hurt the power capability.

As soon as you up the duration and lift on the cam, or port the heads, uncork the exhaust, or some combo thereof, it alters the efficiency of breathing of the engine, and can actually drop the read boost pressure, despite the fact that its pushing the same amount of air...

Fwiw, good D/A, pullied up M112s can push 18-20 on stock 4.6 Cobras, but it's really pushing the limits on the blower itself, so an M90 or equivalent probably can push that on a 225

I'm not saying it can't but, as mentioned above, boost is a function of restriction. If you're pushing an M90 head unit into a stock 225, very likely, but it'll heat up the air quite a bit and you might actually hurt the power capability.

As soon as you up the duration and lift on the cam, or port the heads, uncork the exhaust, or some combo thereof, it alters the efficiency of breathing of the engine, and can actually drop the read boost pressure, despite the fact that its pushing the same amount of air...

Fwiw, good D/A, pullied up M112s can push 18-20 on stock 4.6 Cobras, but it's really pushing the limits on the blower itself, so an M90 or equivalent probably can push that on a 225

are the 4-71's the same bolt pattern as the M90? i would rather not have the blower on the edge all the time.

also yes i understand what boost is, and as the engine is more mechanically efficient the boost number will drop. so i guess i should have asked im looking for about 300hp and 550tq.

Oh-I forgot about a coworkers GTP...he ported his blower housing and throttle body, pushed 300 hp at the tires...don't recall a boost number, but that Grand Prix would move along pretty damn well

Oh-I forgot about a coworkers GTP...he ported his blower housing and throttle body, pushed 300 hp at the tires...don't recall a boost number, but that Grand Prix would move along pretty damn well

hmm nice! i'll be doing a blower cam , 8-9:1 comp, head work, etc...

as i said i would like to get a 2700lbs car into the 10's... street driven!

are the 4-71's the same bolt pattern as the M90? i would rather not have the blower on the edge all the time.

also yes i understand what boost is, and as the engine is more mechanically efficient the boost number will drop. so i guess i should have asked im looking for about 300hp and 550tq.

I can't really answer that, because the M90s were made for a few different apps. And 4-71s were usually made for V8 intakes...but if you have access to some sheet aluminum and are good with TIG, you could likely fab up whatever you want.

Didn't mean to insinuate you didn't know what boost is; I guess I interpreted the first couple posts incorrectly-anyway, I don't know that you can get that much torque with that hp level based on a 1.5L roots type blower, out of a 225, but hell-give it a shot if you have the chance

hmm nice! i'll be doing a blower cam , 8-9:1 comp, head work, etc...

as i said i would like to get a 2700lbs car into the 10's... street driven!

If you match the 300rwhp with a 2700lb car, it should be close-as long as the suspension is setup right...but I'm not a good estimator when it comes to that :)

Regardless, it should be a load of fun

I can't really answer that, because the M90s were made for a few different apps. And 4-71s were usually made for V8 intakes...but if you have access to some sheet aluminum and are good with TIG, you could likely fab up whatever you want.

Didn't mean to insinuate you didn't know what boost is; I guess I interpreted the first couple posts incorrectly-anyway, I don't know that you can get that much torque with that hp level based on a 1.5L roots type blower, out of a 225, but hell-give it a shot if you have the chance

lol no worries! ive never built a boost motor, but i did alot of math figuring correct island maps and what not, just real rusty! i can buy a blower manifold and make an adapter i guess...

i need to find a shop near me so i can hold some parts as i dont have any idea what scale all these parts are!

If you match the 300rwhp with a 2700lb car, it should be close-as long as the suspension is setup right...but I'm not a good estimator when it comes to that :)

Regardless, it should be a load of fun

very loose math on Wallace said 400hp in a 2700lbs car will go 11.0's @ 121.71 mph

There was a fella from my home town-well, he raced at the track down the road from my hometown-a Duster with a slant...ran mid 11s, N/A IIRC, but we're talkin a gutted Duster and a uber pissed off 6...if you were by the traps at the 1/8 when he passed, your ears rang for a few minutes.

There was a fella from my home town-well, he raced at the track down the road from my hometown-a Duster with a slant...ran mid 11s, N/A IIRC, but we're talkin a gutted Duster and a uber pissed off 6...if you were by the traps at the 1/8 when he passed, your ears rang for a few minutes.

lol yea i love my NA builds for sure, but this is a friends car that im building and he is almost 80 and want an insane street blown slant lol, that goes 10's... he used to own a Funny car on nitro back in the 70's so i guess its to suspected...

The supercharger off the Grand Prix GTP is a funky pattern. Its not really close to the 4-71 pattern. The M90 blower isn't too hard to come by out here. Plenty of fried GTPs with blown headgaskets.

well after some looking and specs i think the M112 will be better for my app. little bigger and even more plentiful with different snout lengths.

the bonus is the blower has a passenger side rear inlet so i can center the carb in the hood. after looking at slantscamps posts i am not going to buy the 800 dollar before shipping, i think im going to modify a clifford manifold, make a plate and brace it.

I like the thought of the 471. I think it would be more conventional and easier to find parts for. JMO

I like the thought of the 471. I think it would be more conventional and easier to find parts for. JMO

i think i would take the 4/71 over the M90 but i think the M112 would be better than the 4/71, will see though... just go for the gusto with a 6/71 lol

-
Back