1 owner Valiant conv.

-

66 Val

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
On Friday May 12, I rescued this jewel from it's " Sandy " tomb. 1966 Valiant Signet conv. V8 auto. power top, radio delete, silver with black interior one owner and only 30,000 miles. I owe Rich (SSVDP) a great deal of thanks for giving me the owners#. It was advertised on FABO several years ago and hadn't sold. It was last tagged in 04 and had not been moved since it was flooded in Hurricane Sandy where it was only 100 yds. from the shore. I had to clear sand away to get a jack under the car. It was literally sitting on a sand pile. Thank goodness it was dry sand.

On Saturday I spent the day blowing sand out of the frame rails, rockers and every other crevice. Unbelievably there wasn't any sand in the engine, interior or trunk. And even more unbelievable is the floor pans and frame rails are perfect. Miraculously under the hood the water never got above the valve covers. The motor was stuck because the starter and bell housing were full of sand. Once I cleaned it out and replaced the starter, it turned freely. I changed all the fluids and only found water in the rear axle. Before I was done Sat., I was able to get it to run, I was happy!!

On Sunday, I replaced the fuel tank and cleaned the fuel system. I replaced the complete brake and exhaust systems.

Today, I finished bleeding the brakes and installed new shocks. Then.... I DROVE it!!! OMG this car is sweet!!! Solid, quiet, all the lights, gauges and top work. I haven't found a car this nice in a long; long time. Thank you again Rich.

20170512_154916_001.jpg

20170512_154930_001.jpg

20170512_155051.jpg

20170512_195147_001.jpg

20170512_195115_001.jpg

20170512_202317.jpg

20170515_113443.jpg

AWESOME!!!...Exactly what I am looking for and close to home! Can't believe that I missed that ad or I may of jumped on it the first time!... Good luck with it!

Great. If it was far upstream on a river, it might have been flooded only w/ fresh water. I cringe recalling TV ads in the 1960-70's w/ a new car speeding along the beach at water's edge, spraying nasty saltwater up into the body crevices. Bet they sold those "new" at a dealer lot after the filming. At least you knew what you were buying.

Soon as you can, I suggest pulling the door panels and cleaning and painting. Those rust from inside out since the factory just barely painted inside the doors and not at all at the tops. Even w/o Sandy they get wet inside since it runs down past the window felt.

Ive got that same seat bench in my Mazda truck. Now I know what year it came from. What a cool score!~

I bought my 66 valiant convertible form the original owner, he was 98. My car was parked in 1985. Then in 1993 he decided to drive it. The brakes went out and he rear ended some one. The car sat until 2013 when I bought it. i have been able to get most all the parts needed to get it back on the road. I need sone time to get it done.

-
Back