10 camshaft test...

-

Icetech

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So i'm bored at work and messing around on youtube and i ran into a video talking bout Eric Weingartner doing a cam contest.. he's building a 408 (LS) wish his ported heads and having engine "experts" send in their own design cam and will run them back to back without any other changes to see who has the best cam design for this setup and bragging rights. I know it's not Mopar (that's why i put it in general and not mopar engines) but i find it very interesting to see who comes out on top. The tests will be done in october.

And here is Slater talking about it.. I check his channel now and then trying to learn a bit..

P.S. Eric has done some cool tests in the past also..

I haven't watched the videos yet. What is the criteria for best?

Also.... the god of camshafts was the first to enter... this is gonna be good :)

I haven't watched the videos yet. What is the criteria for best?
11.45:1 LS with erics own ported heads, carb on 110 octane, no changes other than a cam swap.. 3 pulls for each cam. If you valve float, you are out (doesn't wanna hurt the motor) He gave every spec you could want including springs/rates and even valve weights.
gonna look for best hp, best tq and best avg from 4k-7k

Also.. dot to dot... design your cam right and get it ground right.. no special timing or spending time degreeing (he's paying for 2 dyno days out of pocket)

sorry, also .660 max lift and he will be spinning the winning cam on a cam doctor to make sure it matches the cam card, but won't be sharing the ramps/lobe design.. just cam card specs

What's going to be interesting is to see who actually sends in a cam... A lot of guys on youtube talk about how good they are but the dyno won't lie :)

Definitely be interesting, mopar or not can be useful information.

Definitely be interesting, mopar or not can be useful information.
yeah... motor is a motor... what will be interesting is if a couple of guys go with insane ramps and designs that will make it through a few pulls but aren't exactly stable

I imagine most are gonna send in very similar cams and we'll have vary similar outputs.

I imagine most are gonna send in very similar cams and we'll have vary similar outputs.
Dunno but if there is a 30+hp difference from top to bottom that's pretty big... the excuses will be amazing.. "needed more timing.... needed to be degree'd" all that

K.. watching a newer video as of a few days ago.. 7 cams have shown up, none of them are vizard.. says he's waiting on his cam grinder.. BUT. eric says the cams are all kinda normal but 1 is so far out of left field he hasn't seen anything like it before

K.. watching a newer video as of a few days ago.. 7 cams have shown up, none of them are vizard.. says he's waiting on his cam grinder.. BUT. eric says the cams are all kinda normal but 1 is so far out of left field he hasn't seen anything like it before

I posted some specs and either he saw them or someone else posted numbers close to mine.

I’m not spending a cent for someone else to test something I can but I posted the numbers and Eric poo pooed them because he thought the numbers were “too big”.

I posted some specs and either he saw them or someone else posted numbers close to mine.

I’m not spending a cent for someone else to test something I can but I posted the numbers and Eric poo pooed them because he thought the numbers were “too big”.

Too big as in over his rule of .660? cause then it would be too big.. i'm guessing every cam will be in the .655 range.. can't wait to see these results

P.S. i think the bragging rights are worth the money for guys that are serious and sell cams/builds if they can be on top

Too big as in over his rule of .660? cause then it would be too big.. i'm guessing every cam will be in the .655 range.. can't wait to see these results

P.S. i think the bragging rights are worth the money for guys that are serious and sell cams/builds if they can be on top

No, he didn’t like the duration. He’s not an engine builder AFAIK.

ah ok... no, he's not.. doesn't claim to be at least.. i like his testing though

So do I like his testing. I get exactly what he’s doing and when he says I’m not degreeing the cams but most guys dot to dot them is spot on. He is exactly correct.

OTOH, I build nothing that doesn’t get degreed so for me, testing without degreeing the cam is about impossible.

Honestly I can’t mentally deal with doing things that way.

That’s why he’s doing this test and not me. His testing protocol is better for what he’s after than how I do it.

So do I like his testing. I get exactly what he’s doing and when he says I’m not degreeing the cams but most guys dot to dot them is spot on. He is exactly correct.

OTOH, I build nothing that doesn’t get degreed so for me, testing without degreeing the cam is about impossible.

Honestly I can’t mentally deal with doing things that way.

That’s why he’s doing this test and not me. His testing protocol is better for what he’s after than how I do it.
I had never degree'd a cam til this motor and the cam was i think 3 degrees off, i was shocked by that, i don't think i will ever not degree again..

BTW.. watching Powell cams.. he put up a vid a few hours ago. he's the guy that sent in 2 cams..

I had never degree'd a cam til this motor and the cam was i think 3 degrees off, i was shocked by that, i don't think i will ever not degree again..

BTW.. watching Powell cams.. he put up a vid a few hours ago. he's the guy that sent in 2 cams..

I’ve talked to him on the phone a couple of times. If he can hook me up with a core I may have him grind my next cam.

He’s a really cool guy. Plus you can’t really rattle him. Must be a southern thing lol.

I’ve talked to him on the phone a couple of times. If he can hook me up with a core I may have him grind my next cam.

He’s a really cool guy. Plus you can’t really rattle him. Must be a southern thing lol.
haha yeah... i was just watching his video and he is what i imagine a bassett hound would sound like if they could talk, just super calm... I really liked his video explaining the cam/lifter issues and actually doing rockwell tests on them.

haha yeah... i was just watching his video and he is what i imagine a bassett hound would sound like if they could talk, just super calm... I really liked his video explaining the cam/lifter issues and actually doing rockwell tests on them.

lol I would suppose if a basset hound could talk he would sound just like Daniel Powell.

When DV mentions his idea of best, it’s the best over the entire curve, not best / most HP.

yup, and i agree with him and best avg curve from 4k-7k is where he should shine
I do think that’s the overall best way to do it for most applications. Of course, the same spec grind can be ground for a huge and different application like a drag car for example

What would also be interesting, if they matched up an typical off the shelf cam at a similar general level as the winning custom cam and compare.

-
Back