10" Converter in a stock 904

-

jimbo

Reaction score
So I will be changing the trans again I want to know if I should run the small converter or get a different one. I am running a .040 360 with a 276/480 cam and 410 suregrip so, stock or high stall? Oh yeah f body.

You definetly need a high stall with that cam or won't want to idle good in gear and will probably be a pig out of the hole. At least 2500 stall. Personally I'd run a 3000 but I like em loose.

The 904 in now leaks out the bellhousing very bad about a quart in 20 min. The converter I have has no drain plugs and I am unsure of its origin I will be installing a used trans from a 74 scamp 318 car. I will be selling the car soon should I keep the converter?

That's up to you. It's nothing special and it's possible the converter that's leaking, although not as likely as a pump seal. You can buy stock replacement converters from www.bulkpart.com for lsss than $100. And to tell you the truth what your doing sounds kinda risky to me, putting a 37 yr. old used trans. in a car with a hot engine, low gears and possibly a high stall converter is generally asking for trouble unless you know for sure it has been properly rebuilt sometime recently.

Also in case you don't know this the 360 takes a weighted converter that's different from a 318 because 360's are externally balanced engines where-as 318's are internally balanced. You need to either get a converter with a balance weight on it for a LA 360 (not the same as a magnum 360) or install a B&M or TCI flexplate that's designed to balance the engine so you can use a non weighted converter.

I believe this may be the problem, sheared off half the pump drive housing. I have a spare, don't know anything about it, here goes nothing.

So I went thru the band adjustments according to the 1972 Plymouth book chan
ged the filter, there was very little clutch material in the pan. That converter is scrap for sure. I'm going to use a converter I had laying around. It had a little water mixed in but it should be ok. I just want it together enough to sell. Thanks.

-
Back