10 inch backing plates

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have several early A bodies projects, I will call them, as none are exactly finished!!! working on a 66 belvedere I drug home. its a slant car but I will eventually change it over to a big block. it has 10 in drums, I want to get it on the road and drive it to work when I go back to my piddly part time old fart job in the spring!!

question is, I will rebuild the 10 in brakes, but I will later change the k frame and add discs to the bel. BUT, can't I use the 10 in drums stuff ( backing plates out) on one of my early A cars that is a slant with 9 in drums???? 10 in brakes for it will be a step up for now.... thanks

The short answer is no, you need a knuckle designed for 10" drum brakes. The
more complicated part is would you be able to use your belvedere knuckles w/the
'73 and up upper arm/large balljoint. NAPA list's the same lower and upper ball-
joints for your B and the '73& up A w/discs, but I'm not sure about the knuckles
heights/angles being OK. The width of the 10" A vs B shoes also will factor in.
Early A's had I believe 10X1.75, not sure about the '66 B width, but later were all
10X2.5 . Later A's '73 and up also went to that size. Unfortunately my old catalog
isn't quite old enuff.

when searching Classic Ind. catalogue, I noticed this: out wheel bearings same early A to B front. the brakes shoes are 2 1/4 in on the A and 2 1/2 on the B, the wheel cyl. are identical.

The same rules apply for using the B body drum brakes as using the '73 and up A body disk brakes. Since the drums offer a minimual brake increase, nobody bothers with this particular change over.

admit I never had any qualms about driving my big block b bodies with drum brakes, but then I also live way out in the country. and yes some an 11 in drums too.

I will eventually do the FMJ swap on the belvedere. I have 10 in drums on my 65 273 cuda, to me stops way better than the other A cars with 9 in drum and slants!????? would be nice to still find 73-6 a body disc setup for swaps but pretty much gone like the 8 3/4.

the aluminum hub swap thing (scarebird) scares me. me lawn mover has aluminjm spindles on it, the first went South with 25 hours! that's a lot MSD!!!!!

maybe there is a reason they call it "scarebird" !!??????????????

While I don't agree the improvement is "minimal", I certainly wouldn't go out
buying parts just to make it happen either. Since you have both setups in your
possession, you might want to go out w/the tape measure and check the knuckles
to see,if they are not compatible then you have nothing.
A member was selling 10" A knuckles awhile back, but as some disc conversions
are using them,that's where I would go if I would bother to buy them. Also,the B-
drums are 4.5"BP so...,were you planning on changing bolt patterns as well?
Again,even if you could use the knuckle-LBJ-drum-brakes, you would have to get
'73 and up upper arms to use them. Which means buying parts to get it done.

anyone have real world driving experience with the "tapered bushing" used to allow the usage of the "big" upper ball joint in the upper A arms of pre 73 A bodies, sold by Dr, Diff and etc?????

-
Back