10 Seconds or/and Bust?

-

Superod

Reaction score
Guys, I am about to order a MRL 360 engine which should be putting out 560-580hp. The engine will be going into a 69 Barracuda. The car will be a street car that sees occasional strip use and will be driven on drag radials. I doubt I will ever put slicks on it. But I do intend to go as quickly as I can on radials and I know some properly setup cars can fly on radials.

Three areas of the drivetrain I'm wondering about:
1. I have a 23 spline A833 to use. My question is, given the power we're talking about here, is the transmission capable of dealing with this power? If not, is there anything that can or should be done to the transmission to hold up to the abuse of this much power being transmitted and powershifted? Also, what clutch would you recommend?
2. I have an 8 3/4 housing for an A body but need to buy the third member. What should I do to make this strong enough to deal with the power?
3. To make it hook up, I'm contemplating use of caltracs. Anyone have thoughts about using these? What other options for suspension would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Talk to Jamie Passon about the trans & clutch set up
Caltracs are the way to go just don't preload them to drive on the street
4.10 gear and talk to DR.Diff about the locker and set up

The 23 spline trans will hold up fine for you. Run a McLeod RXT Twin disc ceramic clutch with a billet flywheel. Make sure you use a Scattershield also for safety. I would think twice about the radials though. Stick cars shock the tires hard and radials can't recover from that shock once they break loose like a bias slick can.

Thanks guys! I did talk to Passon about the transmission and he said he rates the 23 spline at 550 hp. And I will check out the McLeod clutch.

-
Back