14 x 8 Cragar SS Size - Will it Fit?

-

shhnappa

Reaction score
I've searched and searched, but can't seem to get a definitive answer, so here we go. I have a '68 Cuda Fastback, SBP, all stock suspension with a 7 1/4 rear, 14x7 all the way around, sitting on 215 70R14. I want the staggered look, so I wanted to know if 14x8 with 4.25 backspacing would fit in the rear. And if so, what size rear tire do I get to make it look right. Do you think this will look stupid? I don't want to go with 15's because I don't want to buy 4 wheels and 4 tires right now, I just want wider tires in the rear, to give it that old school look. Thanks in advance for your help.

I have 14X8 Cragar SS's with 225/60R14 tires on the rear. I'm not sure of the backspacing. I know if they stuck out about 1/2" more, they would probably rub the inner fender, but they have a lot of negative offset to them. They look really good on mine ('64 Barracuda). I can try to get some pics later if you want.

I have 14X8 Cragar SS's with 225/60R14 tires on the rear. I'm not sure of the backspacing. I know if they stuck out about 1/2" more, they would probably rub the inner fender, but they have a lot of negative offset to them. They look really good on mine ('64 Barracuda). I can try to get some pics later if you want.
Pics would be great, how much spacing do you have between the tire and leaf spring?

Here are a few. Sorry I couldn't get a better full rear shot. I was using my phone, and The car battery is dead so I couldn't pull it in to better light.
030909_1529.jpg

030909_1526a.jpg

030909_1527.jpg

030909_1528.jpg

Thanks for the pics, nice ride!!!! Now I just need someone to tell me if the backspacing on the 14x8 at 4.25 will clear everything.

So, does anyone know what is the widest size 14" wheel I can possible get in the back of my '68 Cuda Fastback. What size tire should I put on it and what should the backspacing be (with stock suspension)? Thanks in advance for your help.

well, considering I have over 2" to spare between the spring, it makes sense to me that you could go about 2" wider than what I have (I don't think you could go out any more with the offset I have). I meant to check my offset today for you, but got a little busy. I know it has more negative offset than most.

we widened my steelies to 7.5 inches and I've got 245 /60/14 all around with rolled front lips and stock rear wheel wells and spring placement I'll try to get a picture with my phone tomorrow - I don't know the backspace but it looks real good - so good the guy who did most of my work is converting the 68 he's building now and the 69 he built last year to this look

I measured, and they have 4" of backspacing. so you could run a 9" wide wheel with 5" of back spacing, so about a 255 wide tire

Thanks for the input, what do you think about this thought. I'm now wondering if I will see a noticable differenece if I left the 215-70-14's in the front alone, and replaced the same in the rear with 245-60-14's on my 14x7 Cragars SS's, the spacing looks to be fine, but do you think an inch wider in the back will be noticable enough? The total tire diameter is only .3" diff between the front 70's and the rear 60's (smaller in the rear).

I have 205's in front and 225's in rear and can tell the difference. But, I have 13" wheels in front and 14's in the rear. I have a set of 14's for the front now, just haven't got them on yet.
By my calculations, there will be 3/4" to 1" in height difference between those tires.

-
Back