15x10" 5x4" bolt Steel wheels

-

ProStocker273

MoPar N Jeep
Reaction score
Will 15x10 Steel wheels fit in 65 barracuda? Rims are 5.5 back spaceing. My springs are in stock location for now but just starting mini tubing. My two concerns are tire clearing outer wheel opening, and rim clearing leaf springs. Im running cragars now that are 14x8 in back with i think 4.25 backspaceing. Widest tire i had in stock wheel well was 245 60 14s. Not sure what size to run on 15x10s yet 255 50s. Anyone running 15x10s with 5.5backspaceing?

Will 15x10 Steel wheels fit in 65 barracuda? Rims are 5.5 back spaceing. My springs are in stock location for now but just starting mini tubing. My two concerns are tire clearing outer wheel opening, and rim clearing leaf springs. Im running cragars now that are 14x8 in back with i think 4.25 backspaceing. Widest tire i had in stock wheel well was 245 60 14s. Not sure what size to run on 15x10s yet 255 50s. Anyone running 15x10s with 5.5backspaceing?

I have some SBP 15X8 Ansen slots that have a 5" BS and no problems on a 61 lancer wagon.

I have 15x8s on my wagon, I know pretty much the widest wheel you can put on a sedan or 63-66 barracuda (outer wheel well is different then a wagon) is about 7 inch before they have issues with the inner well and the leaf spring clearance in stock form.

I would have to say, "no".
I tried stock 15 inch cop car wheels with a 9 x30 x 15 slick. The sidewll hit the spring, with just enough spacer to have the tire clear the spring, the tire would hit the fender. 1966 Cuda.

I don't think a 15x8 will fit with enough clearence unless you relocate the leaf springs to the frame rails.. they only fit mine without modifying because mines a wagon (different fender openings).

I wound up running the cop car wheels and a Phoenix 6 x 26 x 15w slick (PH726). that tire has a 7 inch tread. The problem with our cars is not the tread width it is the section (sidewall) width. That is what hits. I also run a M&H 8 x 23 x 13 on 8 inch wide spb steel wheels. This tire is short enough that the section width is below the fender lip. You might be able to run a tire wider then the 7 inch wide width the proper backspace, if you remove the inside fender "lip". I am unwilling to do that. On my 66 Valiant, we radiused the fender wheel opening, and have plenty of room.

I don't mind modifying the fender lip. I think with the 14x8 with 4.25 back spaced cragers I have now clearing the 15x8 with 4.5 bs will clear.

Im running 7 1/4 now. Im still kind of torn on what to throw under there as far as axle goes. 8.8 would be cheap as far as what you get (lsd, 31spl, 5x4.5. Thing is 8 3/4 a bodys are $600-800 with 3.23 and they dont come up for sale too often. I found an 8.8 for $160+ ill need another shortside shaft. Other option is a 70 d100 8 3/4 with an open 3.55 5x4.5 axle for $200. Would prefer 8-3/4 but i would have to keep 7-1/4 under Car for longer while i finish mini tub, inboarding springs, and narrowing axle. I think im gonna throw money At rear axle swap and wait on the Rims.

What do you have for engine? A 8 inch Ford from a early Mustang/ Comet style car is a viable swap. Almost a bolt in, inexpensive, parts/gears available, Drop out center, and I would hazard as strong as a Mopar 8 1/4. Also has 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I have one that I got from a salvage yard drum to drum for $100, and bought a "pig" at a swap meet with a 4.10 mini spool, for $200. It is earmarked for my 65 Valiant with a turbo slant six.

I have my springs moved in on a 65 Cuda and I'm running 17 X 9 , with +24mm offset with a 5.95 back space, they are close but have enough clearance, about 3/8 at the tightest on the inside and about the same on the outside, I'm running 275's 40 r 17's. I have LBP 8 3/4 with Yukon axels, and running rear disc's. Back spacing couldn't be better.

Im running 273 with stock heads gasket matched and cleaned up casting with 1.88 intake stock exh valves. 494 Lift cam, and two holley 450cfm carbs with 4sd. I drive the Car pretty hard but its not a daily driver anymore. I have found a few of the 8" mustang rears, im building a 426ci 360 so trying to set the rest of the Car up to handle my goal of mid to low 10s. I think my best bet is narrow truck 8-3/4 and cut and respline or buy used a body ones untill funds allow for something stronger. I have seen a 64 cuda running 275 60 15 but i dont know width and offset he was running. I like the idea of running 15x10 Steel wheels but if i narrow a Mopar rear i would like to run 15x10 keystone klassics. i was just hopeing the Steel wheels would fit while i do the mini tub and inboarding tje springs. Does anyone have a picture of how/where the front spring hanger goes? Can i use my stock one and just bolt and weld it to frame? The rear is easy, just drill and weld in sleeve.

10'' rim won't work with stock wheel wells, I'm running 15x8's with a255 r 60 tire 41/2'' bs,83/4, offsetspring hangers in my 66 it's at the max i can run without rubbing.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 644
Before you do 8.8 swap figure out what rims and backspacing that you want to run. 2 short side axles might not be enough. On the 66 Barracuda the 2 short size axles put rim width at a normal backspacing, but 15x7 rims. Somewhere I read that the springs moved inboard would bolt to stock explorer spring perches. Is this true? I do not know. But would not matter if centering rear end in space allowed.edited: 8 3/3 pumkin with gears and posi should run about 1300.

Well i ended up with some swap meet 15x7 with 3.25 b/s SBP. I had to modify lip some and keep my stink bug stance. I threw on a 235/75/15 and it filled up wheel wheel pretty good. After i sell my sbp cragars ill order some wide 50 series tires.

I have a line on a 8-1/4 3.23 a-body rear. Are these narrower than the 7-1/4? I have read a lot of conflicting info on a-body axle widths, 7-1/4,8-1/4, and 8-3/4.

I'm strongly considering using my 69 coronet wagon 8-3/4. Not sure of the gear ratio though. Wagons rear axle seems narrower than the 8-1/4 that was in my 69 coronet hardtop?

Okay i think ill go with the 15x8. 4.5"bs or 4" bs?

I have done a lot of tires and wheels on the early Barracudas and Valiants. For a stock suspension and rear end. The 8" wheel is to wide unless your running a tire with nearly no sidewall bulge.

I would run a 15" X 7" with 4.5" Backspacing 255/60/15 Tire if it was me. That is about the best set up and biggest tire in my opinion.

You start mini tubing and moving leaf springs then anything is possible, but you need to measure and figure it all out. I will say if your staying with a stock width "A" body rear end, mini tub and moving the springs under the frame you would be looking for a 15" X 10" wheel with about 7.5" back spacing.

Good luck to you.

-
Back