16" champion electric fan and shroud, any good?

-

thesiren74

Reaction score
I have a 26" champion radiator in the Duster with a 413 doesn't get hot untill i sit trying to enter a car show or really warm day's with the clutch fan setup, I'd really like to know if it's a shallow enough shroud and fan to clear my water pump pulley.

If that is your only issue with mechanical fan, I can ALMOST guarantee you will have big problems when you go with the electric.

Do a search and see how many " my car is overheating" threads then how many if those are using electric fans.

It is ok for an engine to get a few degrees hotter while ideling or on really hot days.

The OEM put a range on the temp guage for a reason

And just how hot is it getting? I didn't see that in your post...

I have a 26" Champion 3-core with dual Ford Contour electric fans in my 451 Dart and it will idle at 182F all day long in the summer. At sustained 65+ mph (3300 rpm) on a 93F day, it slowly (over 15-20 min) crept up to 198. Once off the highway it gradually returned to mid 180's.

If you have a clutch fan, make sure the clutch isn't worn out and loose. Also the fan should only be part way into the shroud. (When the fan is all the way inside, the airflow is actually worse).

And just how hot is it getting? I didn't see that in your post...

I have a 26" Champion 3-core with dual Ford Contour electric fans in my 451 Dart and it will idle at 182F all day long in the summer. At sustained 65+ mph (3300 rpm) on a 93F day, it slowly (over 15-20 min) crept up to 198. Once off the highway it gradually returned to mid 180's.

If you have a clutch fan, make sure the clutch isn't worn out and loose. Also the fan should only be part way into the shroud. (When the fan is all the way inside, the airflow is actually worse).
It runs about 180 driving but in town or pulling in somewhere and waiting to park it starts creeping up to 210

Are you running a shroud now? How old is the fan clutch?
Partial shroud going to add one but really would like to lose the fan entirely makes it dreadful to work around and time it, I've seen the aftermath of one of my buddies get his hand in it not good at all.

In my reasearch of the topic, OEM Contour, MkVII, and HHR fans are the best alternatives for fans as they move the most air. Most aftermarket are just too small CFM wise. Both the OEM and Aftermarket fans are tough to mount due to the added core thickness of aftermarket radiators. I would say the 26" Rad should be able to cool well as a lot of us are getting by with 22". Might look to a high flow pup and Milodon High flow thermostat or the pulley sizes as you might be under driving the pump.

-
Back