1600mi Road Trip! Only made it 20mi...

-
Awsome story! I cant help but notice though, that truck is NOT a 71.......

The grille, grille support, and dash have all been backdated. The serial number and title both match and show to be a 71. Who really knows though... It’s possible it could just be a matching cab and title and the rest of the truck be a 65-67... Time will tell...

I'd be concerned about a vin swap situation, like did someone stick a 71 title and numbers on a stolen truck. HOPEFULLY that is not the case, but its something you NEED to confirm before getting to deep! VIN swaps are a federal offense, hate to see something bad happen down the road

@ckjarr happy Thursday
9B2BD6C2-1D02-4F48-8C4E-6F1352DD2265.jpeg

E9430AD4-3CB6-4F02-B748-6101C474429E.jpeg

I'd be concerned about a vin swap situation, like did someone stick a 71 title and numbers on a stolen truck. HOPEFULLY that is not the case, but its something you NEED to confirm before getting to deep! VIN swaps are a federal offense, hate to see something bad happen down the road

I intend to look into it a bit. I’m not familiar with the trucks at all so I will have to research some things out. If it were an A body I would know where to look to see if things half way lined up. Even at that though, panels with vin numbers get swapped often... I’m not sure how I would know if there was foul play. I have a clean and clear title that was in the sellers name and he listed the Vin on the Ad. I really don’t expect to find any surprises in that area. I think someone along the way liked the older grille better and swapped it. I like it too! Now, I can’t wait to get this thing on the lift and start really looking at what’s been done to this poor truck... there is absolutely no telling what kind of surprises I find in that area...:eek:

Let’s just call it motivation.
:lol:

What would really motivate me is if you strap that extra engine/trans down in the bed you have laying in your shop and hook that sweet boat up to the homemade towing package before you put it on the transport!! That would be motivating!!!:thumbsup:

Hmm let me think.......na that’s not going to happen. I do have a twin turbo magnum and 46re I could have in it in about 2 hours.
:rofl:

That would motivate the truck pretty good! Or, @pishta has an awesome engine sitting in his shop that would work really well too! Maybe you could convince him to slip it in the bed...

Awesome truck and awesome guys to come out and help you in need.

I have an idea, how about you just sell me the truck, I'll take care of it :poke::lol:

I most likely am moving to misery... I mean Missouri... in a month or 2 and will be shipping a car as well.. if it still needs transported at the time lmk and maybe we will have room.

I have an idea, how about you just sell me the truck, I'll take care of it :poke::lol:

I most likely am moving to misery... I mean Missouri... in a month or 2 and will be shipping a car as well.. if it still needs transported at the time lmk and maybe we will have room.

Misery...:rofl:

If your moving there form Las Vegas there will certainly be a transitional period but maybe it won’t be miserable!

They are awesome for helping out!! As for selling the truck, no, that’s my overpriced cobbled up mess! No one else gets to have it! :D

What? I'm starting to look seriously at houses in you area! Henderson, maybe..

1388925C-5E7D-421E-9065-A637096BC007.jpeg
Sad to say but the day has come. Ok really not too sad, I’m happy Kyle will take delivery of his new truck soon. Unloaded it off my trailer last night and got to putt it around my yard a little. Had some trash in the carb, but what old engine doesn’t. She’s supposed to be picked up by transport today and headed east.

Tooljunkie,

It feels like we are twins sons from different mothers. Found a 1963 Valiant in the Seattle area. After much negotiating about the details for a transfer of ownership, I was lead to believe that the car ran so good, it would drive anywhere. The plan was buy a one way ticket and drive it back to Texas. Pick the car up about March 21 then got about 500 miles down the road and a rod started knocking.

Frantically looked for options, checked renting a truck, none available. Decided to find a place to park it and work on getting a transport setup. Transport prices were all over the place ranging from $950 to $3600. This is the great part of the story... Met a total stranger the rented covered car parking spots for $75 per month.

This total stranger helped me through four different transportation companies before a driver actually showed up. Would put a charger on the battery, waited around for drivers that did not show up and providing constant feedback about what was going on. The car waited here exactly one month before I found a driver that showed up and delivered the car for $1400.

The car finally arrived 29th of Apr. By May 1st, had the motor pulled. The driver from the machine shop just stopped by the house and taking the motor to Dallas to get rebuilt. Was quoted long block rebuild - $1485 - 3 week turn around time.

What killed the motor? I found a paper towel was sucked up into the oil pickup screen. Had the motor not gone bad, I would have left the motor alone. But with taking the motor out, many little things will get fixed like, leaky rear main seal, transmission seals leaking and replace freeze plugs that a leaking. Not to mention all and the nuts and bolt I found during the engine removal that were little more then finger tight or looser.

Good luck with the D100. Hopefully you will have much fun fixing and driving it!

Check out the high volume oil pump that came on the motor in the last picture.

IMG_20210430_103523957.jpg

IMG_20210502_114947077.jpg

IMG_20210502_114941403.jpg

IMG_20210501_172812229.jpg

Such a great story..I'm always telling all my friends that there's still hope for this world. Lots of nice people out there. Love the truck. That generation with the pie plate headlight bezels look so cool hot rodded out in my opinion :thumbsup:

View attachment 1715733149 Sad to say but the day has come. Ok really not too sad, I’m happy Kyle will take delivery of his new truck soon. Unloaded it off my trailer last night and got to putt it around my yard a little. Had some trash in the carb, but what old engine doesn’t. She’s supposed to be picked up by transport today and headed east.

I sure hope your shop labor rate is cheap... And I hope someone actually comes to get it!! I don’t even have time to mess with it right now but I sure wish it was here. At least I could sit in it and make vroom vroom noises!!

Sounds like an adventure! I just shipped a car from DC to Seattle and it was less than your quote, about $1200 open carrier. It's $200 bucks more if it doesn't drive onto the trailer. Try United Freight of America Corp. They gave me the best prices and car was delivered no problem.

Such a great story..I'm always telling all my friends that there's still hope for this world. Lots of nice people out there. Love the truck. That generation with the pie plate headlight bezels look so cool hot rodded out in my opinion :thumbsup:

The pie pan lights are what pulled me right in... I had already decided if I found a 68-71 that I liked I would go ahead and buy it and backdate the grille and lights for that look. With that already being completed and this truck being solid compared to what I could find on this side of the country, I just couldn’t resist!! As for the nice people in this world, I just can’t say enough about Steve and Mike!! I mentioned before that words feel cheap, and they still do... People are awesome!!:thumbsup:

Sounds like an adventure! I just shipped a car from DC to Seattle and it was less than your quote, about $1200 open carrier. It's $200 bucks more if it doesn't drive onto the trailer. Try United Freight of America Corp. They gave me the best prices and car was delivered no problem.

You could call it that! Just a short lived one... Thanks for the info. If this transporter falls through I will give them a call!

Hey, Doc! If you end up near St. Louis, let me know. I'm 40 miles south off I-55. Have a six car+ garage with a lift. Would be glad to help out.

“Say goodbye to me, go grab that spirited actress and make her your own.” Doc Holiday
CFD8CB91-36E8-49AA-BD4B-3016228DBA8D.jpeg
6CA3FF80-E3D3-47A9-A9B5-6D2D88DEAB4B.jpeg
7F37CEA3-E9CE-42F7-AC7C-05FE7CB01135.jpeg

Transporter came, loaded her up and she’s on her way out to Tennessee.

Hey, Doc! If you end up near St. Louis, let me know. I'm 40 miles south off I-55. Have a six car+ garage with a lift. Would be glad to help out.

We are 80% sure we are going to be moving to Springfield. I have no clue where Springfield is in relation to St Louis, maybe 3.5hrs away?

A 6 car garage sounds nice! That's the plan for me one day. We found this house right outside of Springfield and we love it! It's on 8 acres too!

Screenshot_20210504-110820_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20210504-110850_Samsung Internet.jpg

-
Back