17" Wheels on a 69 Dart with Stock Suspension

-
I've had a set of flat black 18x8" Coy's (small bolt pattern) on my Swinger for 2+ years. Stock peg-leg 7 1/4" rear, 245/50's on the back, 225/45's on the front, 2-3K miles. No problems a little clearancing couldn't solve, but my car's no show queen, either.

Oh, and potholes haven't been a problem, even with 1" torsion bars and 6-leaf springs out back.

The engine is lightly modified. It is a 318 bottom end with forged, flat top pistons. It has a mild Mopar purple cam and 2.02 heads that came off of a later model 360. Aluminum intake and 4-barrel also. The compression is around 10:1. All that being said, I am not exactly a hot rodder. I know that the 7 1/4 rear can be a weak link. But I also know some guys still riding around with big blocks in front of theirs also. I am really looking for something that is going to look good and generally be functional. I know the rear end limits that option quite a bit, but a rear end swap is not in the cards right now. I certainly appreciate all of the thoughts on this topic.

I seriously doubt it. The wheel weights for the 17/18" wheels are less than most 15" set ups, especially for like size combinations.

The 275/35/18's on 18x9's on the front of my car were several pounds lighter than the 15x7" cop car rims with 225/60/15's I had on it. The 295/35/18's I have on the back were pretty much exactly the same weight, slightly less. The moment of inertia change is unlikely to be significant enough to cause any problems at all. And if you run narrower tires than that they might even be an improvement in weight and moment of inertia. It's funny, people seem to bring up the wheel weight issue when 17/18 or larger rims are involved, but no one ever says a thing about it when people switch from 14" pizza-cutter narrow bias ply's to a giant set of BFG T/A 275/60/15's. Those probably weigh twice what the OE wheels and tires weigh, and are taller to boot.

The bigger issue for the 7 1/4 will probably be the improved traction the modern tire compounds will offer compared to the hockey pucks that originally came on the car.

I only brought up weight because it's a 7 1/4. Mine's been fine with a 273, 904, and 14" steelies with 205/75/14 tires on my '68 Dart, but I've heard of instances where even slants break them. I'll be installing 18" wheels and 275/35/18 tires on all 4 corners, hopefully, by the end of summer so I am by no means against big wheels (I support them). I just want to make sure he's able to support the setup he plans on buying and doesn't end up with screaming gears.

Here we go.

attachment.php

Are those C5`s or C56 ? Hard to tell from the picture.

They are actually C 57's

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 194
:eek:ops: As I said: hard to tell from the first picture. Looks really nice anyway though :thumbrig:
I´m thinking of running C5´s on my -69 Dart. C 57´s could be an alternative

lol......

[ame]http://youtu.be/UspxNriT-o4[/ame]

what kinda of wheels are these?

-
Back