170 vs. 225 Swap

-

The Dart GT

1963 Dodge Dart GT Convertible
Reaction score
In my '63 Dart, I have installed a very tired original 170 with more than 150k. I also have a rebuilt 225 with about 2k on it that came out of a wrecked '71 Valiant. What are the chances the '71 225 is a direct swap for the '61 170 (bolt directly to the '63 transmission and torque converter)? How can I tell without actually pulling the engine? You guys are great. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
You can swap the 71 225 engine into the 63 car easily. You need to get a crankshaft adapter bushing (from @slant six on this site, and inexpensive). Need a 68/later flexplate. Use the engine bracket/mounts, carb/linkage from the 63. Also need to swap the oil pan, and pickup. Ignition depends on what you want. Can use the 63 points distributer/system, or use the 71 distributer.

EDIT: Just a FYI. the reason for using the early carb is because of the linkage hookup. However the early carb for the 170 (if it is original) is smaller than the carb for the 225.

Last edited:
If you need a crank Pocket adapter, send me a message, I have a few let in stock if you choose to proceed with your swap.

Good Luck.

Thanks Charrlie!

If you need a crank Pocket adapter, send me a message, I have a few let in stock if you choose to proceed with your swap.

Good Luck.

Thanks Charrlie!
Thanks I'll send you a message and then.....what the heck do I do with a "crank pocket adapter"? (I have no idea what I'm getting myself into). I assume I use the flex plate and torque converter from the '63 170 correct? This is a picture of the 225.

P.S.: I'm keeping the '63 trani.

IMG_1179.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks I'll send you a message and then.....what the heck do I do with a "crank pocket adapter"? (I have no idea what I'm getting myself into). I assume I use the flex plate and torque converter from the '63 170 correct? This is a picture of the 225.

P.S.: I'm keeping the '63 trani.

View attachment 1716223467
You will be using the flexplate on the 225, the ring You will be receiving will fit inside the larger diameter '68&^ converter hub pocket in the 225 crank, this reduces the size to keep the older '67&down converter hub concentric/on-axis.

-
Back