170 Wont Idle

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
So I have been tooling around with my new Dart and I have made a custom bracket for the super six, fixed all the fuel lines and cleaned out the tank. Cleaned the whole car, fixed the wiring issue but for some reason it will not idle. It doesn't have an exhaust on it currently (obviously has manifold just not exhaust pipe) and it won't idle. I have had slants before that I have ran without exhausts on them and they will idle fine just really loud. However for whatever reason this car will not idle. I am at a loss for ideas so if anyone had any please feel free to let me know. If I hit the throttle back and for and shoot fuel in it from the accelerator pump or have it nearly at WOT it will run it just wont idle at all. Never really had this problem come up so I am not sure what the situation is.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Jeff

Assuming all the tuneup stuff has been done and the timing is correct, I'd say you have a bad carb or a big vacuum leak. What happens when you turn the idle screw in? Will it idle on the fast idle cam or with it choked?

I have tried using the fast idle cam to hold the throttle open more to keep it going and it will for a second and then it will studder and die. With the choke closed it doesn't seem to help either. I think you may be right on the bad carb thing.

Thanks
Jeff

I was kinda thinking that. I didn't have time to get to it today but I am going to tomorrow. Thanks for the input however.

Jeff

-
Back