18 degree heads and 15 degree pistons

-

Rocket

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine changed directions and has a set of pistons designed for W8 heads which are a 15 degree valve angle heads. He wants to run the pistons in a 340 with a set of ported X heads. The X heads have the stock 18 degree valve angle. Pistons are dished. Can this be done or will the difference in angles, valve placement, ... be to much of a compromise?

Lay some clay on the piston and install the head and etc....
Rotate the engine and check the clearances. You know what you need.

As long as he has clearance, it'll matter not.

As long as he has clearance, it'll matter not.

I agree if the valves haves room they will never know
they dont the wrong piston for them

take a look at the victor small block they are suppose to be 15*
IF and its a big IF they finnally decide to sale them do you
think every guy that will buy them will buy new custom piston

I aint until the valve are to close of the piston

I contacted the manufacturer about this very issue. My pistons are machined for 18 degree valve angle, and I was looking into purchasing Indy heads. I couldn't find the info on line about the valve angle, so I called the piston manufacturer to clarify and they told me if the valve angle in the head is different from that of the piston, there will be issues.

You can still go ahead and clay it, but I doubt it will work...of course, I don't know everything though...I do know I wouldn't want to try though and have issues.

In regards to the mythical victors, one of the parts they would require is custom pistons from all the reading I am doing because of the valve angle, which is part of why they seem to be a niche piece so to speak

Friend of mine changed directions and has a set of pistons designed for W8 heads which are a 15 degree valve angle heads. He wants to run the pistons in a 340 with a set of ported X heads. The X heads have the stock 18 degree valve angle. Pistons are dished. Can this be done or will the difference in angles, valve placement, ... be to much of a compromise?

The distance between the valves on a W8 head and a stock head is different but I cant remember what it is. but the smaller valve diameter on the stock head should be ok.

They can always be clearanced with a die grinder or mill. I have done it with SBC 23* pistons in a 360.

First pic show where the valve hit

Second pic shows how much to take out

Third is final result

Engine has been running 1/8 and 1/4 mile for 5 years now.

Attachments

• Valve hitting.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 372
  • Valve pocket goto.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 436
  • Valve pocket Mod.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 389
Sure, you can clearance it by grinding/milling/fly cutting or whatnot...but I don't think it will work as is

3* and valve spread might not be an issue, but I did those by hand and it was no big deal. I say mock it up see where your at and make it work. This is the "fun" part of engine building.

3* and valve spread might not be an issue, but I did those by hand and it was no big deal. I say mock it up see where your at and make it work. This is the "fun" part of engine building.

Fr-ack-in A Mike! Tell it like it is! This IS where the fun begins.

Wise words. Thanks all. We will mock it up and see what we get.

-
Back