18-spline 833 behind new hemi?

-

Stelldo

Reaction score
Thinking of doing the new hemi swap in my 67 Coronet r/t. Its an original 4-speed car and I want to keep it that way. I have seen some using the 23-spline, but haven't heard of the 18-spline being used. Anyone know? thanks

Thinking of doing the new hemi swap in my 67 Coronet r/t. Its an original 4-speed car and I want to keep it that way. I have seen some using the 23-spline, but haven't heard of the 18-spline being used. Anyone know? thanks

only difference would be the disc

Unless you've turned it into a 600hp monster, and pound on it continuously, I don't think you need to worry. A-833's in general are one of the stronger boxes in production cars. Only one I know of that was considered better was the Ford "top loader."

Unless you've turned it into a 600hp monster, and pound on it continuously, I don't think you need to worry. A-833's in general are one of the stronger boxes in production cars. Only one I know of that was considered better was the Ford "top loader."

only becasue it was more of a speed shifter correct?

What is the max size of the clutch/disc for the small block bellhousing? I am thinking if I could find a 18-spline 10.5" clutch I would probably be good. Right?

Yes a 10.5" clutch will fit, they even make a dedicated flywheel for the swap as seen here:

http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/57hemi.html

(Me thinks prices are a bit high at this seller so shop around.)

Also Quicktime (now owned by Lakewood) makes a dedicated bell housing for the swap. (I THINK that a stock bell housing will work but you might need to shorten/grind the input shaft about .060" to .100" as there is a small difference in the amount the crank sticks out relative to the mating surface.)

http://www.lakewoodindustries.com/P...ood/quicktime/quicktime_application_chart.pdf

Hope this Helps,

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Yep, I put a 23 spline in my 5.7 swap and I ended up having to cut off somewhere between 5/8" and 3/4" on the input shaft for it to fit together. You have to go with a register style pilot bushing/bearing as well. I got the exact same swap flywheel on Ebay for $100 less than Moparts was asking, so it pays to shop around. They had the aluminum version as well for $100 cheaper than Moparts when I was looking, not sure if the place is still around or not though. Just did an Ebay search for 5.7 hemi swap flywheel or something like that I think.

-
Back