18 spline A body 4 speed

-

67_Slimer

Real Hot Rods don't shift themselves.
Reaction score
So I'm finally getting my 18 spline built for my Dart. I'm going with Passon Performance. Going to purchase tye clutch and PP from him as well. Has anyone ever dealt with him. Sounds really nice and knowledgeable on the phone.

There are a few out there that were disappointed with his 5 speed 833. I can’t imagine there would be any issue with a run of the mill 18 spline 833 . He has been doing them for decades .

The 5 speed is an 855 not an 833. Unfortunately when you bring something new like that into our world there’s gonna be some issues. But for the four-speed Transmissions he’s very well known and does great work.

The 5 speed is an 855 not an 833. Unfortunately when you bring something new like that into our world there’s gonna be some issues. But for the four-speed Transmissions he’s very well known and does great work.
Thank you, yeah I'm having him build an 18 spline for my 340 dart. I want something that's going to last.

Yeah … the 855 was re- engineered trany with new parts sourcing . Expect headaches in an endeavor like that . The Hemi 833 has been around forever and relible parts easily attained from experienced vendors . Many can build those in their sleep . Passon and Brewers are best known shops for them .

Am I missing something?
We'll do this " :popcorn: " if we're interested in a Thread and want to see future posts.
Once you have either commented or left a Smily-Face then you are subscribed to that thread. (and will receive notifications on new posts)
Passon is usually a Hot-Topic and So-Far everyone has been Very Well Behaved, Thanks Boys!

He did ask about the four speed. Maybe we could stay on topic?

The last two seen installed from Jamie at Passion had issues by members on this site . He use to be right up the road in Hazleton now he moved to a familiar suspension builder location above White haven Pa. Still close to me. But I use Brewers for all my 4 speed needs. My choice would be Dan from Brewers.

Do you need a 18 spline?. My choice would be a 247 1st gear 23 spline

The last two seen installed from Jamie at Passion has issues by members on this site . He use to be right up the road in Hazleton now he moved to a familiar suspension builder location above White haven Pa. Still close to me. But I use Brewers for all my 4 speed needs. My choice would be Dan from

The last two seen installed from Jamie at Passion has issues by members on this site . He use to be right up the road in Hazleton now he moved to a familiar suspension builder location above White haven Pa. Still close to me. But I use Brewers for all my 4 speed needs. My choice would be Dan
The last two seen installed from Jamie at Passion has issues by members on this site . He use to be right up the road in Hazleton now he moved to a familiar suspension builder location above White haven Pa. Still close to me. But I use Brewers for all my 4 speed needs. My choice would be Dan from Brewers.

A

The last two seen installed from Jamie at Passion had issues by members on this site . He use to be right up the road in Hazleton now he moved to a familiar suspension builder location above White haven Pa. Still close to me. But I use Brewers for all my 4 speed needs. My choice would be Dan from Brewers.

Do you need a 18 spline?. My choice would be a 247 1st gear 23 spline
Brewer's isn't an option for me and I already exploded3 23 splines. I'm good. I want to be certain it will last.

Brewer's isn't an option for me and I already exploded3 23 splines. I'm good. I want to be certain it will last.
And what makes you think it will be any better with a larger input. Most failures are caused by improper clearances , installation or the one using it can be the culprit also. Center line of bell to crank? We already tried breaking a 23 spline in a 70 Roadrunner. Had someone in the back ripping 2nd without the clutch flat out on throttle with the big long pistol grip and then kicking 3rd. We kept doing it over and over until the 3-4 linkage arm bent.

You broke 3 you have issues I never ran into. The issues I saw with my own eyes was two 855 18 splines from Passion burnt blue inside. Had nothing to do with Power or abuse just not assembled or installed correctly. Maybe Jamie would chime in and let us know what went wrong with them. His friend was here yesterday. His Hemi 855's are out of stock. ?????

And what makes you think it will be any better with a larger input. Most failures are caused by improper clearances , installation or the one using it can be the culprit also. Center line of bell to crank? We already tried breaking a 23 spline in a 70 Roadrunner. Had someone in the back ripping 2nd without the clutch flat out on throttle with the big long pistol grip and then kicking 3rd. We kept doing it over and over until the 3-4 linkage arm bent.

You broke 3 you have issues I never ran into. The issues I saw with my own eyes was two 855 18 splines from Passion burnt blue inside. Had nothing to do with Power or abuse just not assembled or installed correctly. Maybe Jamie would chime in and let us know what went wrong with them. His friend was here yesterday. His Hemi 855's are out of stock. ?????
I definitely think it's my clutch setup but why does Brewer's try and tell me my 23 spline is only good for 450hp? They were more or less pushing the 18 spline.

I definitely think it's my clutch setup but why does Brewer's try and tell me my 23 spline is only good for 450hp? They were more or less pushing the 18 spline.

Not sure why they are saying that but I’ve run more than 700 hp through a 23 spline 833.

If you are killing 23 spline boxes your clutch is garbage.

Before I spent one cent on a gear box I’d buy a clutch that won’t break parts.

If you have that much HP in a heavy car with sticky tires I would get a hemi box. But Make sure your getting the 18 spine bushed gear sets from passion.

I build 4 speeds and Dan from Brewers never steered me wrong any info. I would call him and explain my dilemma and he would always have the correct answer to solve the issues I have. If he was out Cindy would always have him call back, He took time called me and talked to me on the phone.

I have several Hemi box here including A-body. They sit on the shelf. Heads up and Gassers race cars are usually 4 spd users. Big HP bracket cars go automatic.

I have put Hemi engines and 440's in 383 street cars with 23 splines . The weak link was always the 741 pinion shaft on the 8 3/4 rear . A good 742 is what worked. Or a 489 with the early 741-742 clutch style power lock. The 69 and later cone style sure grips are throwaways and usually slip if one tire sticks and the other don't.

106_0616.JPG

106_0617.JPG

106_0625.JPG

If it's for street, and for a cam peaking at or near 5100, then
I highly recommend the 1x23, Commando gearset, in the which, the 3.09 low gear will allow a 16% lower gearset number, like 3.23s. The rest of the gears are the regular ratios.
But if you plan on running up near or into the 4 series rear gears, then I agree with @Oldmanmopar in post 15.The splits are tighter, allowing the engine more time on the pipe., er cam, er the fat part of the powerband.
My engine, by it's trapspeed of 93 in the Eighth, looks to be making 430 hp, with a street tune. I installed my Commando in 2004 with a GVod behind it that I use as a Gear-splitter. I have not been able to break it, with 295/50s on the back, and I hold nothing back. But neither do I run a CFII disc.
Honestly, the 295/50s seem no quicker than the former 275/60s, but they are more predictable when drifting the turns, and recovery is nearly instantaneous by just slipping the clutch as may be required.
If you're concerned about breakage, just buy a spare box.
Prior to Covid, I used to buy A833ods for as low as $50, towards the end of swapmeets. You can't even buy a 4-pac of new brass for that now.

Last edited:
If you have that much HP in a heavy car with sticky tires I would get a hemi box. But Make sure your getting the 18 spine bushed gear sets from passion.

I build 4 speeds and Dan from Brewers never steered me wrong any info. I would call him and explain my dilemma and he would always have the correct answer to solve the issues I have. If he was out Cindy would always have him call back, He took time called me and talked to me on the phone.

I have several Hemi box here including A-body. They sit on the shelf. Heads up and Gassers race cars are usually 4 spd users. Big HP bracket cars go automatic.

I have put Hemi engines and 440's in 383 street cars with 23 splines . The weak link was always the 741 pinion shaft on the 8 3/4 rear . A good 742 is what worked. Or a 489 with the early 741-742 clutch style power lock. The 69 and later cone style sure grips are throwaways and usually slip if one tire sticks and the other don't.

View attachment 1716300180

View attachment 1716300181

View attachment 1716300182
OK , then can you please tell me what gears to purchase to build my 23 spline to be stronger if that's an option. Also what clutch and PP to run in order to not break stuff. I really want to rip gear with the car , no lift shifts and hole shots without having to worry. It's a high 11 second 340 , weighing about 3200 lbs. I appreciate your help. The current clutch is a RAM paddle disc (star) and CF 2 PP.

-
Back