18'' Wheels on your A? What size tires are you running? Post Pics!

-
I agree, I am a fan of 17's myself. BUt I would love to see pics of 18's.
Here is 5258's:
pics1-19008.jpg

Just for the record mine are 17's in front and 18's out back. I have lowered it an 1 1/2 in the back since that pic was taken looks a ton better. In my mind car looks 100% better with the 18's than when the 15in torq thrust were on it, but just in case I waiver, the torque thrust are in the garage ready to be put on.

Mike

While I welcome the debate on the subject, my earlier thread on the issue covers everything that's being talked about in here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=74008

I've got 5x115 wheels on my 5x114.3 Intrepid, and if you center the wheels properly on the lugs/hubs, you dont have any problems with them. Two 2000 mile round trips to Pennsylvania and an additional 10000 miles on the car since I put the wheels on it prove that beyond a reasonable doubt to me.
I know you guys are mostly old school, but having done this already and played this game, I've learned a lot about it and I've got plenty of confidence in putting these wheels on my Dart.

Moving on, lets post some damn pictures of these A's with 18s!
Ihave no issues with big wheels on old cars, I plan on big wheels on my abody. What it comes down to to me is it's ether the correct bolt pattern or it isn't end of story in my mind.

4.5" = 114.3mm. Exactly. That is the conversion, no rounding, feel free to try it yourself.

1"=25.4 mm. 4.5 x 25.4 = 114.3

Any wheel advertised as 5x114.3 will fit the bolt pattern for LBP mopars.

5x115mm will not unless you open up the bolt holes, I wouldn't do it myself, but I'm sure its been done.

5x4" is not the same as 5x100mm, which is what neon wheels are.

4" = 101.6mm.

I wouldn't try to hog out the bolt holes on a set of 5x100's to fit on SBP mopar. But again, that's just me, I wouldn't be surprised if its been done.

there is a guy running around here with a hemicuda with widened steel charger wheels on it. it looks pretty good and hes taken it on power tours. he had no issues. it crossed my mind but the mustang rims worked out like they belong. almost.

18s in the sig.

What size tires are you running?
Any suspension/body modifications to make them fit?
Just curious, very nice car!

4.5" = 114.3mm. Exactly. That is the conversion, no rounding, feel free to try it yourself.

1"=25.4 mm. 4.5 x 25.4 = 114.3

Any wheel advertised as 5x114.3 will fit the bolt pattern for LBP mopars.

5x115mm will not unless you open up the bolt holes, I wouldn't do it myself, but I'm sure its been done.

No need to open up the bolt holes on a 5x115 rim. The bolt pattern is .7mm off, they fit perfectly fine, without any issues at all. I've got a set of 5x115 rims on my 2002 Intrepid with no problems. Like I said, I've put over 14k miles on the car since I bought the rims, including several high speed runs, and I've had no issues whatsoever. Here is the car, with its 5x115 rims on its 5x114.3 hubs:
IMG_3708.jpg

First, let me say that I am not willing to run a wheel on my car that does not have the correct bolt pattern. I think it is unsafe and I just can't see risking the work and investment I have put into a car on something like that.

That said, I have been watching this type of topic (LX bolt patterns) for some time as I have been planning to using some 17" OEM wheels of some type, and I have been trying to figure out what the truth of the matter is. I've seen where people have said that the LX cars use a 114.3mm bolt pattern, unless it was an SRT8 which had a different one. I've also heard that the LX cars all have a 115mm bolt pattern, regardless of the trim. I could have sworn that I have seen LX wheels with the bolt pattern size cast into the back of the wheel that said 114.3x5 and that I have seen TireRack.com list wheels with that pattern. Either way, it seems like there is plenty of confusion so I thought I might do some "hands on" research of my own.

So, using car-part.com, I found that a local yard had a 17x7 aluminum wheel from a 2005 Chrysler 300. Of course when I got there they could find any, so I couldn't look for the bolt pattern cast in the back like I wanted. I had to settle for a 17x7 steel wheel off a 2008 Charger and a bolt pattern gauge. When we tried the 115mm gauge, it didn't fit very well, but the 114.3mm or 4.5" gauge did fit. I've included a picture from my phone, should have snapped one of the 115mm attempt. While the 114.3 fit well, the 115 rode up on one side when the other one was centered.

0_IMAGE_059.jpg

Ok, so from that, I am pretty confident that a 2008 Charger has a bolt pattern of 4.5", but I wondered if that was just the milk-toast small v6 variety only. So I hopped onto NapaOnline.com and RockAuto.com to compare some parts. Looks like the Charge hub doesn't change regardless of trim level, even the ground pounder SRT8 uses the same hub, at least up to 2008 anyway. Interestingly, I even found a Centric rotor that shows a 4.5" bolt pattern size in the info. So, from that info, I would guess that all LX cars use a 114.3mm or 4.5" bolt pattern.

Hub.jpg

Rotor.jpg

So, why do most places show a 115mm bolt pattern? My guess is that it is a rounding error. Just like has been talked about here, people are under the impression that 115 is close enough to 114.3 that it doesn't matter, plus 115 is easier to type. The funny thing is that instead of the truth being that the pattern is 115 and people are using it on a 4.5" hub because it is "close enough", it is actually a 4.5" bolt pattern and people are being mislead that it is a 115mm bolt pattern wheel.

I say find some wheels of your own and check the pattern. I'm pretty sure you will find them to be a 4.5" bolt pattern wheel.

there is a guy running around here with a hemicuda with widened steel charger wheels on it. it looks pretty good and hes taken it on power tours. he had no issues. it crossed my mind but the mustang rims worked out like they belong. almost.

Any pictures?

What size tires are you running?
Any suspension/body modifications to make them fit?
Just curious, very nice car!

Thanks!

245 40, 275 40
Lips trimmed, rear springs moved in 3/4".
Front wheels were narrowed and bored to fit without spacers, and the proper backspace.

on the boss wheels which back spacing did u go with i have a 74 duster and those are the ones i wanted to run on mine i was thinking about a 18 20 combo but not sure which ones will fit! Can u please help me out!

what back spacing are u running the car looks great! im trying to put some rims on mt 74 duster and need a little help?

Never Mind the fact that the Charger Wheels are a Front wheel drive positive offset and the Hub centric rings are about a 1/2 inch larger then the a bodies. so you will need hub centric ring adapters and the 5x114.3 lug pattern needs to be redrilled to 5x4.5

Never Mind the fact that the Charger Wheels are a Front wheel drive positive offset and the Hub centric rings are about a 1/2 inch larger then the a bodies. so you will need hub centric ring adapters and the 5x114.3 lug pattern needs to be redrilled to 5x4.5

The 5 x 114.3 is the same as 5 x 4.5
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg

New Picture.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the screen shot. This is a converter program I have and it is pretty handy. Trying to get it saved as a good jpg is not easy. The 114.3 pattern is essentially the same as a 4.5" bolt pattern. it is actually 4.499986" using the converter. That is about as close to 4.5" as you can get :D

Sorry for the quality of the screen shot. This is a converter program I have and it is pretty handy. Trying to get it saved as a good jpg is not easy. The 114.3 pattern is essentially the same as a 4.5" bolt pattern. it is actually 4.499986" using the converter. That is about as close to 4.5" as you can get :D

I use that same converter here at work.

Funny thing is, it must be a little off because 114.3mm is exactly 4.5". Just divide 114.3 by 25.4. My calculator gives me 4.5 with 10 zeros.

LOL hmm I dunno was up with the converter. Its exactly 4.5 when reversing it (inches to mm). :D Everyone needs this converter tho LOL

on the boss wheels which back spacing did u go with i have a 74 duster and those are the ones i wanted to run on mine i was thinking about a 18 20 combo but not sure which ones will fit! Can u please help me out!

I can't speak from experience, but I've been looking at rims for my 74 Duster as well and have done a fair amount of research so I will tell you what I know.

First, I think about 4" is the minimum sidewall for a tire based on my experiences with replacing tires on my wifes PT and what I seen other people be successful with. This is what I consider the foundation for a wheel and tire selection.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd ran an 18/19 combo on his Duster, and the front tires only had about 3.5" of sidewall in the front and a little less than 4" in the rear with 225/40 and 285/35 tires. The max diameter that seems to fit in the front is about 26, so you could run maybe a 225/45 or a 255/40 tire in the front. I've seen some that have run a 28" diameter tire in the rear, so you could go with a 285/35R20 in the rear and probably make it work.

Myself, I think 18 and 20 is too big for the car, but I haven't seen that setup either.

I am thinking 17 and 18, myself. Probably a 245/45R17 and 275/40R18 as there seems to be a wide selection of tires and the rims are easy to get. Might go 275/40 in the front as well, but still 17 as I think the bigger haunches of the Duster look better with a stagger. Time will tell.

For wheels, I have been looking at the ones from AmericanMuscle.com. They are comparatively inexpensive and have a wide selection that fit. Probably something in a 17x8 with a 30mm offset for the front and an 18x9 with a 24mm offset in the rear. If I go with a 275 tire in the front I will use a 17x9 wheel with a 24mm offset.

Either front wheel should fit without a hassle (other than hub interference), but the rear will require a wider axle of some type. Not a big fan of spacers but something like a 1/4" one to clear the springs doesn't bother me as it isn't really any different than a disk rotor. An A-Body 8.75 with BBP axles is wider than a SBP one, and the 18x9 wheel should fit fine if I move the springs in with the relocation kit. Wracks71 on here did it with 17x9 wheels with the same offset and 3/8" spacers and didn't move the springs but it was a little tight. Other options are an early B-Body axle, or maybe a later (like '69) one with a wheel that has a bit more positive offset.

Still working it out, time will tell.

Might look at this thread, there's a wealth of info there on 17" wheels that might help.

The 5 x 114.3 is the same as 5 x 4.5
moz-screenshot-2.jpg

moz-screenshot.jpg
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
well explain to me how a 5x4.5 wont fit on an LX without Hub Centri rings and having the Lug nut sit at the outer edge of the lug hole. (Seen with my own eyes stud ripping off of a charger because his drag slicks were 5x4.5) There is a difference it might be slight but it's there and for me I'd rather have the right lug spacing then risk my life to save a couple bucks.

I can't speak from experience, but I've been looking at rims for my 74 Duster as well and have done a fair amount of research so I will tell you what I know.

First, I think about 4" is the minimum sidewall for a tire based on my experiences with replacing tires on my wifes PT and what I seen other people be successful with. This is what I consider the foundation for a wheel and tire selection.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd ran an 18/19 combo on his Duster, and the front tires only had about 3.5" of sidewall in the front and a little less than 4" in the rear with 225/40 and 285/35 tires. The max diameter that seems to fit in the front is about 26, so you could run maybe a 225/45 or a 255/40 tire in the front. I've seen some that have run a 28" diameter tire in the rear, so you could go with a 285/35R20 in the rear and probably make it work.

Myself, I think 18 and 20 is too big for the car, but I haven't seen that setup either.

I am thinking 17 and 18, myself. Probably a 245/45R17 and 275/40R18 as there seems to be a wide selection of tires and the rims are easy to get. Might go 275/40 in the front as well, but still 17 as I think the bigger haunches of the Duster look better with a stagger. Time will tell.

For wheels, I have been looking at the ones from AmericanMuscle.com. They are comparatively inexpensive and have a wide selection that fit. Probably something in a 17x8 with a 30mm offset for the front and an 18x9 with a 24mm offset in the rear. If I go with a 275 tire in the front I will use a 17x9 wheel with a 24mm offset.

Either front wheel should fit without a hassle (other than hub interference), but the rear will require a wider axle of some type. Not a big fan of spacers but something like a 1/4" one to clear the springs doesn't bother me as it isn't really any different than a disk rotor. An A-Body 8.75 with BBP axles is wider than a SBP one, and the 18x9 wheel should fit fine if I move the springs in with the relocation kit. Wracks71 on here did it with 17x9 wheels with the same offset and 3/8" spacers and didn't move the springs but it was a little tight. Other options are an early B-Body axle, or maybe a later (like '69) one with a wheel that has a bit more positive offset.

Still working it out, time will tell.

Might look at this thread, there's a wealth of info there on 17" wheels that might help.

Front 205-50-17 on 17 x 7" Billet specialties, rear 285-40-18 on 18 x 10" both tires have 4" of sidewall.

Picture 091small.jpg

well explain to me how a 5x4.5 wont fit on an LX without Hub Centri rings and having the Lug nut sit at the outer edge of the lug hole. (Seen with my own eyes stud ripping off of a charger because his drag slicks were 5x4.5) There is a difference it might be slight but it's there and for me I'd rather have the right lug spacing then risk my life to save a couple bucks.

:D never messed with the LX or hub centri rings. But I can tell you from the math side of it they are the same bolt pattern. That is 4.5" is in fact 114.3 mm. Maybe the hub you are thinking about is a different pattern. But wallering out a perfectly good wheel is not going to do anything but create more problems down the road

Can't explain it. Most places list the LX bolt pattern as 115mm, which is not the same as 4.5", and it sounds like yours are 115mm. I came to the conclusion that they were listing the pattern as 115 when it was 114.3 due to rounding and I know the wheel I measured was 4.5", tried both patterns and the 115mm one didn't work well but the 4.5" one did. Parts look up I did indicates that the bolt pattern doesn't change, either, at least in the RWD cars. Didn't compare AWD ones.

What LX? Year? Maybe it changed after 2008 or something? RWD or AWD?

BTW, notice the other day that the Mustang wheels on TireRack.com show a pattern of 114mm, which isn't accurate either as I am certain it is 114.3 or 4.5".

Forgot to mention that the hub size is a completely different issue. Not saying it isn't an issue, only that it is unrelated to the LX bolt pattern question.

there are 2 guys with dusters on this site that say they fit bullet rims with an abody 8 3/4 with the springs in the stock location and no spacers. i do not see how that is possible. as far as i know, the a body 8 1/4 and 8 3/4 are the same width, with bbp axles in the 8 3/4. my duster was factory bbp with a 8 1/4 and i needed 3/4" of spacer to clear my rear springs. i couldnt find any so i went with 1" billet adapters. just something to think about.

-
Back