19 to 24 spline input shaft swap

-

rjgideon

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm working on a 1963 pushbutton 727 and swapping the input shaft and reaction shaft support to use a 24-spline torque converter. I have pressed out both input shafts from the rear clutch retainers, but didn't pay attention to the orientation of the oil feed holes. Should these be in line directly when I press them back together? The 727 rebuild book by Carl Munroe doesn't really cover the oil holes on the input shaft (probably because I should have just swapped the input shaft and rear clutch assembly from the 1971 donor directly).

IMG_5349.jpg

:popcorn:
I didnt know the method you are trying is even an option. What was holding it in??? Just press fit?

Update: I received word from Pat Blais, ol' "Tflitepatty" himself, that there is a channel between the steel sealing rings in the rear clutch retainer. You can see the difference in the OD of the input shaft where the hole is above the splines and the ID of the clutch retainer where those holes are (one on each side). Because oil flows through this channel, the holes may be situated in any orientation. I will likely just line them up the best I can when I press the parts back together.

-
Back