1920 not enough fuel

-

jhobbie

Reaction score
So we just cleaned up the carb on my sons 1970 valiant. It has a stock 225 /6 with Holy 1920. We also replaced the fuel pump and inline filter to carb. We can not keep enough gas in the bowl? The car has been sitting for years. Is there anthing else we should check that is easy overlooked before we pull the tank?

Blow out the fuel line with air from the pump back to the gas pick-up after first removing the lines from those items. Does air flow easily? If yes, then try next step. Does a lot of junk get blown out? If so, then you may need to replace the line. If OK, then try blowing air into the tank thru the sender ( take off the gas cap first). Does air flow OK? If so, reconnect all lines and try running the engine again.

the new pump gas has alot of ethanol in it. it breaks down the fuel hose and gums up in the carb/pump/pickups etc. does it have a fuel filter? bet its full of crap.

We replaced the fuel filter. Plus it has never seen ethanol. I siphened some real old gas out of it. We have a gas station near us that sells non ethanol gas. I'm thinking blowin every thing out may fix/find the problem.

How did you determine there isn't enough gas in the fuel bowl? The only way I know is to remove the economizer cover and peer in. If really low, check that the inlet needle moves freely and the inlet hole isn't clogged, and that your fuel pump works well (flow outlet into a bucket while cranking, don't smoke).

Yes that is how we checked it. We removed the econ. valve to set float level and found that the pump could not keep up.

Problem discovered........Fuel pickup tube completely plugged! Kinda glad we had the problem as we pulled the tank to clean it and found some holes in the top of it. As this will be my sons first car I sure dont want that! Anyay we are exited that once we get the new tank and pickup in it should run good and maybe the fuel gauge will even work.:cheers:

Change all the fuel hoses while at it, unless you know they are new. Use the better "fuel injection" hose. Much of the cheap "carburetor hose" gets soft from ethanol. That bit us on a cross-country trip in the 69 Dart in 1989, soon after ethanol came out. Eventually found the hose at the fuel pump suction was soft, collapsing and causing sputtering above 50 mph.

-
Back