1945 vs bbs

-

74/6

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced a1945 carb with a bbs? Pros and cons? Thank you

i have had both. as far as running both do well. but the bbs does have one thing to watch out for. it has one or two bolts that go from the top casting to the bottom casting do e careful to NOT over tighten them. or the castings will warp.

Thank you for that information. I need to decide which way to go.

Serviced properly either one should serve you well. Published CFM for the BBS 200, the
1945 is 203 @3.0"Hg, so it really is a toss-up airflow wise.Both have 1 11/16" throttle
bores, the early 170's had a smaller BBS w/ a smaller 1 9/16 bore. Tuning however is
another matter, & there, the holley might have an edge. Jets available to tune it, and
with the asinine implementation of the carburetor's poison known as alcohol, most of
our cars are running lean w/ the 10% and up concentrations. I had to jet up a stock
327 2bbl '68 camaro 4spd conv. w/ jets donated from an Olds 350 roachmaster 2bbl.
I haven't rebuilt carbs on a reg. basis for a while now, when it used to be a 2-3/wk
occurence at the shop,so I'm not even sure who is making the best kits these days.
Used to love the Borg/Warner kits, not even sure if they're still making them now,
Whatever you choose, look for premium materials that are designed to resist alcohol,
and good luck& patience to You. I'm faced w/a rebuild of a Holley 2245 I modified yrs.
ago for my /6, and will be doing the same research myself,cheers!:coffee2:

a friend of mine had a 1969 van w / 225. holly carb. the idle circuit was so lean it kept dieing and pump the throttle and start it. the black smoke would roll out the pipe. so i took the carb apart and opened the idle jet up. cant remember how much. but it might have been .003" to .005". the jet is NOT easy to get to. the Carter is much easer to get to the idle jet. after it was together the engine would idle at 250 RPM. very smooth. course you dont leave at that RPM.

Hmmmm. It's unusual to have to open an idle circuit up on a stock eng. in good condition.
Most carbs had plenty of enrichment "in the bag" to allow owners/techs to compensate
for small vacuum leaks,worn intake valve/guide clearance, etc. , since final idle "jetting"
was done w/ the mix screws. However, i suppose a combination of alky'd fuel, worn
engine, and a fine buildup of scale on the idle jet could've combined to create that
condition. Your buddy's engine was a '69?carb would've been a Holly 1920 stock,
totally different carb than the 1945, but you didn't mention if the eng./carb were
the orig's. Good of you to fix him up.
As I see it, there's no reason not to stick w/ the 1945, and rejetting the main
circuit when the eng. is under load & cruising at speed, is more critical to drivability
and longevity.Running lean is not good.
A final note on fuel. The new alky'd fuel is causing problems, even in the cars
designed to run on them! If the owners let the cars sit idle too long, slime starts to
develop in the tank,and actually doesn't go away w/ a fresh tankfull. repeated long
idle periods cause an accumulation of sludge that results in a tow to the shop, esp.
E85 cars. We just had to drain & clear a 2yr. old fuel system& replaced the pump,
NOT under warr. not cheap! Add to that a friend discovered a local station owner
was letting his buddy dump waste from cleaning paint guns etc. into his tanks!:wack: Buying fuel from/near a marina may be an option for some &
worth checking out, hope we have been helpful 74/6 !

-
Back