195/70 or 205/70?

-

KOZ45

Reaction score
I am looking for some 14" tires for the front end of my 70 Duster

The 440 seemed to sag the front end down a tad

I will be using 14 x 6 aluminum slot mags with 3.50" backspacing

195/70R14 or 205/70R14?

Thanks for any and all info............and pictures if you have this size!

Sounds like my avitar had the same rims you are referring to. I went 205's all around and it looked great. I'll bet wider in the rear would have been awesome (same height though).

Check the load rating on the tires before you get too far into it.

I am not sure what size rears yet

195/70 did seem too small......I was only hoping these would work because they are in stock everywhere locally

205/70 no one carries them locally, but its only a one day order

195/70R14: 24-3/4" x 7-3/4"
205/70R14: 25- 1/4" x 8-1/8"

The tires that came with the car were a dry rotted 26-3/4" x 7-1/4"

Discount tires has two left in the 205/70 size

Going tonight to have them mounted

Thanks!

They fit nice and look good
IMG_20201208_184410_070.jpg

Not really wanting that large of a tire up front
For a street car
you gotta think about turning and stopping, and neither/none of those are adequate after ~20 mph.
IMO,as a minimum, you should be thinking about 235s on 7.5" rims; jus saying.
When you slam on the binders, almost all of the weight of the car will transfer to the front, and as you can see in the above chart 235s at 29psi are just barely adequate.
When you come into a corner too hot, those skinny tires will plow right into the curb, and smash your beautiful slotmags into several bent pieces. Or worse, you could plow into the car in the next lane.
And don't say that will never happen,lol; you have a 440, with skinny back tires, of course it will happen. Really, you need 275s, but that is not possible with 14s or even 15s

Last edited:
245 60 14s are the widest easily available 14 inch tires out there. 205 70 14s have about the same sidewall height so when you look at the car from the side it all looks matched front to back. 215s look weird because then the sidewall is taller on front than in the back

245 60 14s are the widest easily available 14 inch tires out there.

I will have to mount the bare rear (Shleby Cal 500) aluminum slot mags and do some measuring today, to see how much room I have between the inner / outer fender wells (and the leaf springs)

I believe the rear wheels are 14 x 7 but I am not 100%

245/60R14 is roughly 25-5/8" x 9-5/8"

The dry rotted rear tires were G50-14s, so roughly 25" x 10"?

Last edited:
Gs were 8.25 treadwidth
To get a similar section width of a G, in a P-metric the sidewall bulge depends on the rim width, but a close guess might be 245 on a 7" rim; but the tread will not be 8.25, because radial tires are not made the same way anymore.
To get an actual 8.25 treadwidth on the road, you might need a 275 and your choices are 275/60-15 and 275/50-15. Both of these need a 9" rim width to run flat to the road. The 50 series is more critical. I have run them both on an 8.5rim, but the tire pressure was quite low to flatten them out.
IDK why you are so concerned by the height of the tires but here they are;
275/60-15 is about 28inches with a sidewall height of 6.5 and the 275/50-15 is about 25.8 with a sidewall height of ~5.4 These are the minimum rear tire sizes I would consider for a BB Duster. The 275s will easily fit in a Duster tub, but not on any off-the-shelf wheel, I don't think.
There is probably more going on here than you might know. I don't know how much driving experience you have, or how much of it is behind a short wheel-base 440 equipped car, but;
With the skinny tires you are considering, even a 318 will get into trouble when you push it in a turn....more so if you have a limited slip. With both tires hanging on the edge of spinning, in a turn, as soon as they do spin or slide, you only have microseconds to stop the spinning before the back end comes around. I kid you not.
But with a 440, you have probably twice the torque the lil teener makes,and a huge more amount of inertia in all the spinning engine parts,plus the pig-heavy 727 convertor, plus all the spinning parts in the 727, plus the rear wheels if they are spinning; so you have as good as NO chance on skinny tires, to recover. When the back end lets go, you are instantly out of control. And you are on a circular path to doing a 180* unless you hit something first.
And you cannot even brake your way out of it, because
#1, that is 100% the wrong thing for the back tires to be doing, and
#2 with skinny front tires too, you haven't got any stopping power anyways, and #3, if you hit the brakes too hard during a wipe-out, so what? your front end is not going in the direction the wheels are pointing, and if you lock them up, now you are like a curling rock on ice, and whatever direction you are sliding, your car will continue to slide until those 4 tiny rubber patches finally bring you to a halt ... or you hit something.
#4 the first time it happens, I don't care how fast you think your reflexes are, yur going around. Your mind will be going a million miles per hour, but you'll be making all the wrong decisions.So you better put some practice in on an empty WET parking lot.
I'm not making thischit up, I have 50 years of experience of wiping out, lol, beginning in 1970, grade 10, with a 1970 Swinger 340/4speed/3.55s, on those pathetic, factory-installed, E70-14 Polyglass roller skates. At 30 mph,I used to change lanes by whipping the steering wheel over a lil and then whipping it back; the car just slid right into place, exactly one lane over; man those tires were junk!
I beg you not to install these skinny tires on your 440 Duster.

One time ,in traffic, I switched lanes a lil too fast, wiped out, and ended up on a driveway at about 90* to traffic. Man I couldn't get outta there fast enough, cuz what I thought was a driveway was actually the gateway to the municipal cop shop, and those guys all knew me pretty well, and they all didn't much like this punk-azz schoolboy. BTW; my Swinger was PantherPink, so there was no hiding it,lol.

Last edited:
My 195/70R14 sidewalls say their max load is 1366 lb @ 51 psi. So far they're working well for my low-deck Dart with 1.03" t-bars and 295/50R15's out back. Those big back tires can also help stop the car. I don't drive it in the rain :p
When it's time to replace the fronts (either for age or wear) I'll probably go to 205's.

Gs were 8.25 tread width

The Duster came with G50-14 on the rear..........I measured the tread and they were 10" on a 14x8 wheel

Anyways, I appreciate the info and the concern

The 205/70s were purchased and fit very well on my car

Those big back tires can also help stop the car
You are right about that;
I gutted my proportioning valve and run full pressure to the 10 x2 rear drums, also swapped out the rear wheel cylinders. The back end now does most of my straight-line braking. And the the throttle does a lot of rear steering, in addition to the low-pressure 295s which roll over the sidewalls in the turns.
But the issue remains; the brakes only make it worse once you are sliding past IDK, say 10 or maybe 20 degrees? At that point, I am desperate to re-establish traction. So I clutch it, or if I have enough room, I'll whack the steering out of the direction of the skid, to slow the front end down to let the rear get around,while gassing the chit out of it. Now sliding backwards, the brakes will work again. That maneuver has saved my alloy mags many, many, times. But it has to be practiced to make it instinctive, cuz if you have to think about it, it will never happen. I replace my rear shoes about three times as often as the fronts, so they are very hard workers; but to be honest, that 11/1 engine thru the clutch, is doing a lotta work too, under compression braking.

Last edited:
I measured the tread and they were 10" on a 14x8 wheel
From what I remember;
The G codes to 8.25;
Fs are 7.75,
Es are 7.35.
Ds are 6.95
IIRC Hs code to 8.75
I've never seen an I or a J, but
Ls and Ns yes; but I forget those tread-widths.
To have a 10" tread, flat on the road, and on an 8" rim that is fully 2 inches too narrow for it, would take a special design tire. I saw those in 1969 or 70, but at the time, they were junk tires that smoked up instantly, with a Ford 260 in a Falcon, or, I even saw a 283 in an 59 Impala do it. My hi-school chums installed them to do smoke shows in front of the school. IIRC those were branded "Atlas" but not sure. Maybe "Esso". Nobody ran those for traction cuz they were just smoking roller-skates. IMO, they didn't even look good. But they sure smoked! I couldn't run them on my Dart, on account of it was PantherPink, and I was already getting a bad reputation smoking the factory Polyglass tires, which was quite a feat in itself.

My Cooper/BFG 295s are 13.25 section width on a 10" rim, but the flat-to-the-road tread might be barely 10. That is the radial way. You can put those on a Duster/Demon/ Formula S no problem, but will probably need a custom back-space wheel. I had to narrow my 8.75 to the max , to fit 4.5bs, into the stock tubs, and I had to offset the springs.

Last edited:
Those were probably the square block "Pos-A-Traction" tires they sold at Silly Shops. They were very hard, and easily broke free but they actually looked good on the car, maybe these were later than 1970, Im thinking early 80's.
118545688_3480279092017487_2163012888474140169_n.jpg

Firestone Super Sport

They were rock hard and a bear to remove

20181103_194125_zpsid26vaac.jpg

Both 205s are mounted on the front 14x6 slots, they look good.

What is the torque for the lugnuts? 7/16" IIRC

I think 65 ft lbs?

I want to lower it to the ground and see how it sits

Last edited:
-
Back