1954 1/2 ton

-

DodgeGirl1954

Reaction score
I'm trying to switch over my 54 truck to disc breaks and power steering. I've gotten the parts to so the breaks but I'm not sure what kind of master cylinder to use. Has anyone put power steering on a truck this old? I'm getting conflicting information.

Flathead six? V8? Need more info please. The original power steering from that era was a power steering pump mounted on the back end of the generator and driven by the same belt. If you want to look original. And I think the original power brakes had a booster mounted under the cab on a frame rail but that was in cars and a truck might not be the same...

Yeah...! Getting a straight up answer on these conversions is a long shot, they don't tell you the whole story. I'm doing this myself, on a '38 Dodge pickup. As sad as this may sound, the easiest/cheapest route, it to go with a Mustang II set up, parts are readily available and cheap.

Mines bolted on a 78 truck chassis so parts are readily available. You said conversion. What parts are you using?

Attachments

• trucks004.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 106
I have a 318. In searching for information I found a site that suggested using the breaks from a ford probe which bolt right up with a brackett for the caliper. But I'm not sure on the master cylinder, I've heard that I will need a purporsioning valve to make the master cylinder work but I don't know which one.

-
Back