1955 Ford F-100 w/ 67' 273 & 4 speed

-

who00knows

Reaction score
I just picked up my granpa's old truck. It has been sitting since 1980. I was told that it had 273 and 4speed that he swapped out of a wrecked 1967 barrcuda. How do I identify this motor? How do I determine if it is the "s" motor? What about the transmisson. I will start a thread soon so everyone (who wants to) can follow the project while I try to get it running.

Can you guys point me in the right direction?

The engines displacement is stamped below the drivers cylinder head but is hard to see, check the drivers side of the block for cast in numbers which should have the size cast into it.

On the trans, check the side pad for the numbers as to where it came from.

A 4spd has 3 levers and a 3 spd has 2 levers.

That is a good start. Pictures soon to follow. Will the stamp on the engine tell me if it is a 180 hp or a 235 hp version?

should be in the same spot i think oil fliter side has date starter side has size. hope that helps

P1011073.jpg

P1011074.jpg

A couple pics. I just got her unloaded. Gotta get some wheels with decent tires tomorrow so I can roll her into the shop. Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures.

IMG00010-20100602-1855.jpg

IMG00011-20100602-1855.jpg

IMG00006-20100531-2004.jpg

A couple pics. I just got her unloaded. Gotta get some wheels with decent tires tomorrow so I can roll her into the shop. Sorry for the bad cell phone pictures.

IMG00010-20100602-1855.jpg

IMG00011-20100602-1855.jpg

IMG00006-20100531-2004.jpg

It's got the Commando Valve covers and what appears to be a 4 barrel. Just might be 235 horse version.

To truly I.D. the engine and it's contents, the numbers that are stamped into the block at the cylinder head drivers side will or should tell you what you want to know.

I just picked up my granpa's old truck. It has been sitting since 1980. I was told that it had 273 and 4speed that he swapped out of a wrecked 1967 barrcuda. How do I identify this motor? How do I determine if it is the "s" motor? What about the transmisson. I will start a thread soon so everyone (who wants to) can follow the project while I try to get it running.

Can you guys point me in the right direction?
Nice choice in truck, espesh with a Mopar in there. My 56' F100, is gettin a warmed-up 70' 440/518 auto.

sweet!!! and please dont paint it lol. that is perfect patina i would love that exact paint job on my truck

sweet!!! and please dont paint it lol. that is perfect patina i would love that exact paint job on my truck

Maybe it's because I'm a New Englander, but I just don't get the whole "patina" thing.. whenever I see an old car or truck being lauded for it's "patina", all I can think is Boy, he better sand and prime that quick or he'll have a big problem next spring. Of course, since most of these come from places like California where rust hasn't been invented, that's not really true I guess.

I've spent the last couple months trying to eridicate the "New England patina" from my F150.
1fender3.jpg

:angry7:

Anyway, sorry for my digression.. your '55 Ford looks like a cool project; I'll definitely be interested in following your progress.

Maybe it's because I'm a New Englander, but I just don't get the whole "patina" thing.. whenever I see an old car or truck being lauded for it's "patina", all I can think is Boy, he better sand and prime that quick or he'll have a big problem next spring. Of course, since most of these come from places like California where rust hasn't been invented, that's not really true I guess.

Anyway, sorry for my digression.. your '55 Ford looks like a cool project; I'll definitely be interested in following your progress.

Ha ha ha, I hear ya. Living o the "Island" where people are demanding for serices there so overly taxed for and get none...LOL The roads here are salted super heavy. Just to make matters worse...for me...a salt depot is a mear 500 feet from me.

I have super clear roads 90% of the time. Half of the rest is clearing the rust outta the road way so I can drive it! LMFAO! :toothy10:

(Grooooooooan :angry7: )

I do like that truck though

The memories of those A-Bodies with the 235 HP 273 running around town, are still very fond ones.

They had that single large resonator, that made a sound like no other car, that could be heard for a very long distance. There was no mistaking that sound when someone had their foot buried in one.
I was a poor kid with envy, I had a 64 Barracuda with a 273 2 bbl. 4 spd. and the LA motor was so new, there weren't many parts around.

Pretty cool that one ended up in a Ford pickup, would have never dreamed it.

Oh, and the new "Patina" term is perfect, wish we would have had that for the last 30 years. It had me LMAO at the last couple televised auctions. Oh yeah, that is just pantina!

Got her in the shop yesterday. Got a new ignition switch in her and it didnt catch on fire, thank god!

It had A/C installed on it. Im not sure if it is an aftermarket bolt on kit or if it was out of the barracuda. It was a york compressor seemed the be in stock mounting locations.

Wonder if I could sell this? The A/C unit inside the truck said "GRANTS"...I guess that is the brand.

Can anyone send me a close up to show me how the alternator is supposed to mount? There are two potential holes that can be used to mount the alternator.....

It had A/C installed on it. Im not sure if it is an aftermarket bolt on kit or if it was out of the barracuda. It was a york compressor seemed the be in stock mounting locations.

It's an aftermarket.

Can anyone send me a close up to show me how the alternator is supposed to mount? There are two potential holes that can be used to mount the alternator.....

From the photos it looks like the alternator is in the stock mounting location.

There are two holes on the left head....Im not sure which one is the correct hole to mount the alernator from. They both seem to line up okay for the bracket...can someone post a pic to confirm?

I also need a factory oil dipstick tube...anyone have an extra laying around?

-
Back