1955 savoy Plymouth

-

swapdaddyxx1

Reaction score
I have found a 55 Plymouth Savoy 2 dr that still has the tranny (auto with shifter on the dash, a one year only feature) This was a V8 but the engine is missing. As I recall,this would have been about 260 cubes.
I am wondering if the poly 318, and for that matter the later LA engines
would bolt up to that tranny. Anyone know for sure?

we had a 55 plymouth with the auto on the dash when I was younger, and if I recall right dad bolted a poly 318 right to the transmission as the original engine had bad rings. was quite the car, only 1955 I have ever seen with factory power window, brakes, seats, door locks and it had a radio. had the books to prove it wasn't aftermarket either

A poly engine up to '61 should fit in there. '62 and newer A and LA engines have a shorter crank with a different flange but they probably make an adaptor for one somewhere.

All A series engines, up to 1962, share the same bellhousing and crank designs and are also the same as the EarlyHemi engines including the Poly engines that are based on the Hemi.
A 55 Ply would have used the 260 v-8 which is a Poly version of the Dodge Red Ram 241 Hemi.
Short answer: any A series, 1956 to 1962 will bolt to the trans but engine mounts will have to be fabricated. A straight 'bolt-in' will require use of a 55-56 Plymouth 241-260 or the 55 Dodge 270, either Hemi or Poly.
The stock trans will not stand for much abuse so don't go crazy...

-
Back