1960 Plymouth Valiant, Where to start?

-

ValiantGuy

Reaction score
As some of you around here know, a while back i was asking many questions about what stuff i should do or get for the engine. I now realize that i was thinking way to early about this stuff.
My question is now that im just going to sit down and start thinking about the whole car in general, where do i start with this restoration.
What to do and fix first?
Heres a little info..

) I have no keys (yet) for it so i do not know if the 170 engine in it runs.

)It is sitting on cynderblocks with no tires just rusty rims.

) Interior is rat infested, i already have taken out the seats and have stripped off the carpeting and started on taking off outdated soundproofing.

)Gas tank is gummed out.

)Windows are all intact

)For as much as i know the electrical is intact, as my dad and i have hotwired it previously the lights and windshield wipers run. But the engine, although does not run does turn over and try to start (I think a gas problem as gas just shoots out the accelerator pump)

So my question is, where do i start to get this rustbucket purring and rolling!

I would start by finding someone local that will work with you to get it running. Then I would get some brakes on it. And work in the body and interior from there.

any pictures?
Make a plan of what you want to do---race/modify-- or what----
then decide if it is feasable for you to do these things-.
60 valiant parts are not too available-- the aussie guys love them though-- good luck--- the manual for the 60 is very slim as is the 61 supplement--- suspension is 60-61 only on some pieces-- good luck ,Lawrence

i'd get the floor fixed first, that will give you some time to look for a used /6 that you know runs, they're pretty reasonable and plentiful, then find somebody to clean your tank. some radiator shops do this.
if you can hear it run you will be motivated.
getting a key made shouldn't be too big of an issue. call a lockout guy.

i'd get the floor fixed first, that will give you some time to look for a used /6 that you know runs, they're pretty reasonable and plentiful, then find somebody to clean your tank. some radiator shops do this.
if you can hear it run you will be motivated.
getting a key made shouldn't be too big of an issue. call a lockout guy.

I have a 225 that is sitting around. I plan to eventually take it to a machine shop and have it rebuilt, then putting on a dif camshaft intake headers and carburetor. For until then i am just going to wait and see what happens after i have a key made. I know the 170 has some life because it fires up running off primer but since the gas tank is gummed....

1st post. Love your score.

I think you can buy an ignition switch with keys already packaged with it and save yourself some money having a locksmith come out and key one to the car as it sits. Of course the key won't open your doors, but for your purposes now, to check if the engine runs, it would be cheaper and quicker.

The switches have been very easy to replace in my 63 Valiant [ thankfully as over the past 30 years I've lost my keys a couple of times....].

Sorry for being a newb and butting in like that, but hope it helped a little...

1st post. Love your score.

I think you can buy an ignition switch with keys already packaged with it and save yourself some money having a locksmith come out and key one to the car as it sits. Of course the key won't open your doors, but for your purposes now, to check if the engine runs, it would be cheaper and quicker.

The switches have been very easy to replace in my 63 Valiant [ thankfully as over the past 30 years I've lost my keys a couple of times....].

Sorry for being a newb and butting in like that, but hope it helped a little...

Already have the ignition and all the door/trunk locks out and in a box, The locksmith is in canada for summer vacation though... :angry7:
20 bucks for each key. Ignition matches the doors so only 2 keys are needed

Already have the ignition and all the door/trunk locks out and in a box, The locksmith is in canada for summer vacation though... :angry7:
20 bucks for each key. Ignition matches the doors so only 2 keys are needed
Oh; good.Thought you were completely without. But the waiting sucks when you want to get started.

That isn't a bad price for the aggravation you'll save not having to use 3 keys. Can't believe the car's been out for 50 years already. Amazing little machines

ive owned 5 of those,neat lil cars,lower balljoints are 60/61 only,rearend also but 62-72 same,7 1/4

DSCN0485.jpg

-
Back