1963 Dart Wagon...broken auto tailshaft

-

HowardBishop

Reaction score
This is the place to ask a question.....a young Marine called me and asked if his tailshaft on his auto transmission could be replaced. He has a 1963 Dart Wagon....6 cylinder...push-button. He says the tail shaft on the trans was cracked for a long time. It finally broke. He says...What do I do now???
So...guys..help me help him.
He is in Vista, California...I believe. What is your counsel????????

Yup. It's replaceable. He'll have to find a 64 and prior transmission I believe to get the tailshaft off of. They were cable shifted. Shouldn't be too hard to come up with. It's not too tough of a job either......certainly not for a Marine.

I thought the 65 was different somehow? Wasn't 64 the last year for the pushbutton? I think the tailshaft was different in 65 because of that......I might be mistaken....

I also thought the push button shift went until 1965. My young Marine will be happy to know it can be fixed.....replaced. It will take a bit to find a tranny. Many thanks to the MOPAR guys. See how smart Marines are...This one chooses MOPAR!!!

I have a 1964 slant six pushbutton trans in a Valiant parts car. If you need the tailshaft or the whole trans PM me and I'll figure out a reasonable price for him. Jayson

If I remember right....the pushbutton's last year was '64. In 65 they went to column shift, but it was still cable shifted. I might be off base on those details...but I know there was somethin different about 65.

The differences between '60-'64 and '65 transmissions are in the valve body only; no problem swapping tailshaft, tailhousing, or any other component throughout the '60-'65 year range. And a '60-'64 trans can be used with the '65 lever shifters (or a '65 trans be used with '60-'64 pushbutton shifter) by swapping either the complete valve body or just a couple of parts in it.

1st question,,,,,how did his break?2nd general question,,,how would I ID the right tail housing.I might have what he needs.I have a coupla crates with all trans stuff.Is there a difference 'tween a 904 & 727 tail.If I do have one,I would GIVE it to the young marine:smilebox:

To anwser your first question, I believe that the U-joint on the rear drive line gave out, causing the tail shaft to break.Although I am not a SAE certified mechanic, that is my best guess.Second I do not know the difference between the 727 and 904 tail.I do know it is a 225, if that helps.I am also sure that all these dart fans can help out with that detail.

It's a 904 transmission you have.
To anwser your first question, I believe that the U-joint on the rear drive line gave out, causing the tail shaft to break.Although I am not a SAE certified mechanic, that is my best guess.Second I do not know the difference between the 727 and 904 tail.I do know it is a 225, if that helps.I am also sure that all these dart fans can help out with that detail.

Hay Dan, thanks for clearin that up. I knew there were some differences....I just didn't know what for sure.

Not 100% positive but I believe the only diffrence is the cables,the column shifted 65's floor mounted 65's ans pushbutton units all have diffrent lenght cables....that's the only diffrence I have ever found I have all three styles here.........Wagg's
The differences between '60-'64 and '65 transmissions are in the valve body only; no problem swapping tailshaft, tailhousing, or any other component throughout the '60-'65 year range. And a '60-'64 trans can be used with the '65 lever shifters (or a '65 trans be used with '60-'64 pushbutton shifter) by swapping either the complete valve body or just a couple of parts in it.

Thanks for your insight too, Curtis. Seems we all know a little piece of the puzzle.

Did someone come up with a tail for the Marine?????
Thanks for the follow up. I sent him the link to this site and the great response from all of the a body guys. I haven't heard back from him in a week. I'm used to that as he goes long periods of not being able to update me. Thanks for the inquiry.

Thanks for asking about the tail shaft. My young Marine found this website....got in touch with a couple MOPAR guys. Got what he needed. Got his car fixed.
That's the good news!!!!!
How about that...not only a Marine but a MOPAR Marine!!!
Thanks for the follow-up.
Howard

I have one here in So, Ca. I will give it to him for the shipping cost just pm me is address.

-
Back