1963 Dodge Dart Wagon drum to disc Brakes

-

Aubrey G Stapleton

Reaction score
what years and models interchanges to get power disc brakes or is it better to buy the kit with everything there...any info would be greatly appreciated

I would suggest go to the search thread and hunt. There are probably 1 million threads on this topic and as many different solutions!!

A complete kit is the way. New parts, all the little things you will need. Will need to convert from single line so now is the time for all new lines.

Yeah, if you can afford it, the whole shebang. The whole ball of wax. The whole shootin match. The whole enchilada.

‘73+ A body, plus all the F/M/J cars and some of the B/R body cars too for the spindles and out parts.

Problem is that very few of those cars are in the yards anymore. The ones that are usually are either stripped or complete trash. And even if you do find stuff, all I usually keep is the spindles and caliper brackets anyway. The yards charge as much or more than the core charges for the calipers, and they usually need a rebuild or replacement. Hoses are usually shot, I always replace the bearings, the later cars don’t interchange the UCA’s so you still need those or adapters etc. Ten years ago you could find all that stuff in the yards and get it cheap enough for it to be worthwhile, but in the last 5 years or so the supply of the donor cars you need to find have really dried up in the yards. I’m not saying it’s impossible to find that stuff, but it’s not easy or cheap enough anymore to be worthwhile IMO.

Which is why everyone says to buy a complete kit. You get new parts, you get everything you need in one spot, and you don’t spend weeks looking for parts, a day pulling them, only to find someone spun a wheel bearing 30 years ago and boogered up the wheel bearing surface on the spindle.

@DoctorDiff can help you with the conversion kits, he has everything you need and is an excellent source of information.

10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

The most important safety system on any car. Never cut corners on safety. If your budget doesn't let you do it all at once, start with what you can do.
Make a list of what you need to do and just check it off as it gets done. Eg.. brake lines, wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware, drums, etc...
Eventually you will have a safe, trouble free system you can rely on. Safety first.

-
Back