1963 gt slant 6 turbo install and good ideas

-

manny619

Reaction score
i have a 1963 slant 6 gt that i started to turbo here are the pic do you see anything wrong with it any good ideas in mounting thing better so far im going bit bye bit to get things right i still need to do my timing i was going to go with a msd 6 btm to control the timing under boost what do you think fellow mopars i jetted the one barrel carb it had a #53 on the jet so i put on a#63 the car starts right up run good so far the turbo spools great and good ideas on timing,fuel jets, :read2:

Attachments

• 456.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 613
  • New Image.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 46367.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 616
  • photo (2).JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 615
  • photo.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 597
Any pictures on how you attached the turbo flange to the manifold?

the turbo flange was welded by RPM welding in california they did a great job on the cast iron weld it looks like it stock turbo manifold

Let us know how it works? I'm either going to turbo mine or put in a V8. But I've been worried of trying it with a Carb. Friend of mine tried that experiment on his twin turbo 440 for awhile and finally went to EFI to keep it from running to lean....but again this was a twin turbo 440 and not a /6.

I'm running a Weber 32/36 carb on mine...so maybe that would help due to the number of jets available...turbo sure would be coool.

Your's looks like a good clean setup.

Now about them brakes...:)....looks like you might have an out of control missle on your hands....go go....stopppp...as a mater of fact my friend updated his brakes after getting the turbos sorted out.

Have you got a wideband installed yet? For now lock the timing at 20* and sort everything else out first. Later
Ryan

Looks really cool I have been trying to get some work done on my /6 (http://www.projectplato.com/cars/bigredhome.html) trying to do what this person accomplished on his /6 but I cannot find anyone in my area to do any machine work for me. actually I looked out of state and no one wants to touch the manifold. So if anyone knows anyone who is willing to accomplish this task please let me know.
Thanks sorry for trying steel your post again it really cool.

Nice clean simple install you got going on there!

What kind of Turbo is that??

How much boost are you throwing at it. I notice the Boost Controller on the inner fender well.

Soooooooooooooo you don't trust yourself with it mounted under the dash......Kind of like a Crack addict hiding his dope and pipe!! haaaaaaa:-D

mad dart hahahahah yea im a boost addict i dont want to send the piston to the moon, im omly planning on 5 pound for now hahahaha ones i get everything tuned in its on , for turbo 66 valiant yes i also installed a wideband, once i get the turbo set up right im going to need some brake work done any idea anyone

mad dart hahahahah yea im a boost addict i dont want to send the piston to the moon, im omly planning on 5 pound for now hahahaha ones i get everything tuned in its on , for turbo 66 valiant yes i also installed a wideband, once i get the turbo set up right im going to need some brake work done any idea anyone

I sent you a PM.

You come out and help me with the Turbo on mine and I help you with the brakes..:)
I put 73-76 Disc brakes on mine with a dual master cylinder and they work great. Still need to upgrade the rear brakes. I really should do this...it would be a cheap project ..I already have the parts. But the turbo project sounds like more fun.

i think im going to use msd 6 btm for the timing control

I have one of those on my '72 Valiant (Vortech S-trim, V-1) and it works great. Ideal setup for the street.

BTW, I really like the way you're going about this project, and as far as the exhaust system goes, I would bet that with that super sano way your stock exhaust manifold dumps into your turbo, I would bet that tubular headers wouldn't make significantly more power. You have a really nice layout and I am impressed!

I caan't wait until you open that intake tract up for some more flow, with a big 2bbl or a small 4 bbl! That thing is gonna storm!!!

Keep us apprised of your progress; I LOVE cars like this!!! :cheers:

Nice clean simple install you got going on there!

What kind of Turbo is that??

How much boost are you throwing at it. I notice the Boost Controller on the inner fender well.

Soooooooooooooo you don't trust yourself with it mounted under the dash......Kind of like a Crack addict hiding his dope and pipe!! haaaaaaa:-D

"I'm gonna be a different kinda crack dealer, Im gonna say something like hey buddy hows your day? Wanna buy some crack?"

first of all i would like to thank everone that has commented and given me great ideas for my turbo build on my slant 6 your help has made it alot simpler for me but i ran into a little speed bump here what i have the timing is set at 20*, the fuel jet is #64 the stock fuel jet has #56 stamped on it, and i installed a wideband sensor to see if its running to lean, all the vacuum that goes to the blow off valve, and wastegate our mounted to the itake manifold see in pic . this is what going on having the car parked if i rev the engine and let go of the trottle it shuts off it will not go to a idle , if i take the bonnet of and let the carb be open with no bonnet on and rev it, it will go back to a great idle, but like this it will not get boost. when i drive it down the street being careful with it and i give it a little gas it will start to boost read boost 5 psi but it hesitates and will start to back off and it not even with the trottle all the way open and again ones i let go of the trottle coming to a stop sign it will shut off. what do you think it is i have my thinking cap on but it might be backward lol help me out here here some updated pic with some changes here my number if you would like to call and help me out 619-888-7084

Attachments

• iphone Picture 151.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 432
  • iphone Picture 152.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 495
  • iphone Picture 153.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 478
  • iphone Picture 154.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 480
  • iphone Picture 155.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 473
Your wastegate line that you have to the intake after the carb should be hooked to the PRESSURE/Boost side before the Carb in the intake tract off the Turbo/intercooler.

Hook the line from the boost controller to the side of the carb hat. You will not be able to adjust your boost the way that it is. It is actually sucking the Diaphragm closed the way you have it.

Looks good! Though I would suggest a air filter.. The way you have it set up now: one little pebble and you would have a VERY bad day!

I may have missed this somewhere, but do you have your regulator boost referenced? I noticed you are using a hat of some other car for the carb. Do you have the vents to the carb vented to atmosphere or into the pressurized hat? Sounds like its a carb issue for sure, I have found on blow thru carbs that the hat can make driveability a real pain.

i pick up a 4 barrel manifold and a 390 cfm douple pumper fuel pump fuel regulator here some pic one barrel got to go and a 1963 A833 4 speed type ball and truino style transmission the insides looks in great shape.

PICK UP FOR $

USED TRANS A833 $100

NEW MANIFOLD $120

REBUILD 390 CFM 4150 DOUBLE PUMPER $225

NEW FUEL PUMP 140GPH WITH REGULATOR $60

I THINK THE PRICES FOR THE ITEMS WHERE GOOD TIME TO PUT IT ALL TOGETHER ALL I NEED WOULD BE A GOOD CLUTCH, AND SHIFTER KIT HURST FOR THE TRANS

thank you all who have help me in this build all your info has been great

Attachments

• iphone Picture 216.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 332
  • iphone Picture 219.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 350
  • iphone Picture 220.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 342
-
Back