1963 Pushbutton Valiant 904 - oil leak

-

AussiePlymouths

Reaction score
g'day, hope someone might be able to help me with a transmission oil leak. I am sure that I have read on here (or maybe /6 forum) that someone had a similar problem. Can't find anything in the tech articles
I have a '63 Val with the pushbutton 904, /6. The tranny was covered in oil and I cleaned it with degreaser and then checked it. It "appears" that the leak is starting at the point where the park cable is attached to the car floor with a clip. Does that seem right? I thought that the oil would have to come out of the case somewhere, but when I looked it appears to be running down from the cable where it clips on to the floor and then dripping off near the park cable cover. The cover itself and the cover gasket are dry - just oil all over the black outer cable??? Seems weird to me, but surely someone else has had this issue? Appreciate any feedback, thanks!
Also posting on /6forum, I know some of you blokes look at both.
Thanks in advance
Regards
Gary

OK, it's been like half hour since my post and I did manage to find a couple of old threads for cable leaks.
I think that they may have answered my question, but if anyone wants to sling an answer - thanks!

You've probably already seen the tips but here are the two I've used with success. Coat the cable housing(s) with the rubber dip stuff for tool handles or get some electrical wire shrink tube insulation to do the same thing. Just make sure the cable housing is clean and dry befor you attempt either one.

Gees, haven't heard of that rubber dip stuff being used Mark.
I'll have a look at our hardware store and see if they have it - sounds like a good idea.
Thanks

also liquid electrical tape-- comes with a small brush, I used it to coat the rubber insulator tips that had been painted over. Lawrence

-
Back