1963 steering column to firewall seal

-

Mineallmine

Reaction score
I am getting near to the finish line on my 1963 Dart rebuild and went to put the redone steering column in and ran into a snag. The gasket for the firewall that I ordered that stated for 1963-66 dart is incorrect. The one I got is from DMT, which is usually good parts has only 3 holes while mine has 4.

Was there 2 different styles of columns in these cars? Has anyone else run into this issue and if so what did you do for a firewall seal. I have searched with no luck to find a match.

I am considering making my own at this point. I have ordered a roll of neoprene sponge foam to make my own. It is 1/8" thick which seems about the same as the gasket I recieved. Only difference is that the roll I ordered is black and the original was white. That's not a big deal to me, as long as it does the job I need it to do. Do you think this is a suitable material for this application or does anyone have any suggestions on a better material?

Thanks

The '65 and '66 mount plates and gaskets are different. I would guess the '64 and '65 gaskets are same, but it wouldn't surprise me if '63 uses another different plate and gasket; there were a lot of parts changed for '64.

Last edited:
The steering columns are interchangeable 63 to 65 except for the turn signal wiring plug, but the firewall itself is different and, as you've noticed, the 65 gasket has three holes, while the 63 has four. I don't even remember where I got the gasket for my 63, but I made one for my 65 back when it wasn't reproduced. But I can't remember where I got the material to make it. I do remember that it had a color pattern on one side, and the other was white. Not noticeable unless you look really close as only a little bit shows.

Anyway, I think your idea will work. Mostly the gasket is just sealing dust out; don't think much if any water gets into this area.

63 Valiant

20191115_135321.jpg

65 Barracuda

20200125_121619.jpg

Thanks. The stuff I am getting is good for waterproofing and noise as well as dust so I am thinking I should be good to go. Just have to make a template to match the column plate.

Do you have an original gasket or can you make a copy or template for a new gasket? I’m sure if you get it to DMT and talk with them they will make a correct one....they are great to deal with

Do you have an original gasket or can you make a copy or template for a new gasket? I’m sure if you get it to DMT and talk with them they will make a correct one....they are great to deal with

I agree they are great to deal with. Problem for me is that I am in Canada and they don't ship across the border. Everything I get from them has to go through their Canadian dealer. They are also great to deal with, just too complicated to get one done. I had an issue with the wrong foam in my heater kit (had later vent door foam sheet in it), and while they didn't think it could happen they sent me the correct foam no charge to correct it. It was the same issue Jim had when restoring his wife's 63 dart convertible. I got the same foam as he did.

As I'm not doing a show car restoration, just a hopefully really nice driver, I'm sure the foam I have ordered will work out just fine.

Thanks for all the input

Take the plate to Hobby Lobby. They have the material.

I have some foam I am going to try. Should work pretty good. If it doesn't or I'm not happy with it I might take you up on that offer. I really appreciate the offer. Thanks.

For my 1964 and 65 A's, I cut a gasket from the white plastic foam that comes electronics packaging. I've had some in the garage for decades and the material doesn't appear to degrade even in that heat. The rubber grommet on the round column was still fine. The baseplate clamps to the body over a layer of sound deadener, which serves as a gasket.

don't think i've ever bought a foam gasket for anything..always able to cut one out quickly for most everything requiring a simple foam gasket.

So, the roll I ordered came in and while it looked like it could work it was a lot thinner than the replacement gasket. Went to a craft store local to me (thanks for the tip RustyRatRod) and found a sheet that was the same as the roll I bought, only thicker...and wayyy cheaper. I bought one in white and one in black.

I decided to go with the black as I figured the white would stain easily or discolor. Used the gasket I bought as a template for the size of the hole and then slid it over the column and traced the rest and cut it out. Fit really nice and now my steering column is finally back in the car.

I'll post pictures later of the material I decided to use and the final install

Thanks all for the tips and advice

-
Back