1964 273 ci

-

Seansmopar

Reaction score
Hi I'm very lucky to find a site for my newly found Mopar love. I was lucky to find my 1964 barracuda in running condition..never having a Mopar before and not knowing much about it, I decided to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty, while I was fixing some oil leaks, I researched the engine to be a 246 casting meaning built in 1964 also a-2 at the end meaning second mold design for engine casting. However, I'm lost with the 4 barrel manifold, it shows to be a 246 casting but I read only used with 65 and 66 or did they install them on later 64's. Car does have push button automatic, I really love this car. It needs a lot of work but will be fun to do while I drive it..if anyone knows more about the manifold I would greatly appreciate the imput..thanks Sean

Ok i do not know any casting numbers right off but, the 4v head, and intake on a 273 are different from a 2v. Heres why, on a 2v head, and intake the bolt head is a 9/16 size, however on a 273 4v its 1/2. U are probley going "well so what" but the whole setup between the 2 are differnet with the angle of the bolt as well.

65+ was the year of the hi-po. The hipo was a 273 4v. I have seen a number of these cars in a 273 2v and also 4v.
I have seen a 64 with a 4v but im not sure if it was real. "meaning someone put that top end in it"

There is a lot of mistery as to what the early 64 barracudas were offered, it is likey if they did do a hi-po car in 64, it would be a later year, fender tag may tell no lies, as someone will chime in and lay it down.

Ok i do not know any casting numbers right off but, the 4v head, and intake on a 273 are different from a 2v. Heres why, on a 2v head, and intake the bolt head is a 9/16 size, however on a 273 4v its 1/2. U are probley going "well so what" but the whole setup between the 2 are differnet with the angle of the bolt as well.

65+ was the year of the hi-po. The hipo was a 273 4v. I have seen a number of these cars in a 273 2v and also 4v.
I have seen a 64 with a 4v but im not sure if it was real. "meaning someone put that top end in it"

There is a lot of mistery as to what the early 64 barracudas were offered, it is likey if they did do a hi-po car in 64, it would be a later year, fender tag may tell no lies, as someone will chime in and lay it down.

Correction the 64 was 2 bbl only 65 was 2 and 4 bbl the 64 and 65 heads both used a 5/16 bolt at a different angle than the 3/8 that started in 66 that is why your casting number for the intake comes back to 65.

Thank you for the quick reply, I'm going to predict someone had more than likely found a early 4barrel intake for this motor. the 246 #prefex on the manifold doesn't necessarily corresponds with 1964 like the engine block?

Thank you for the quick reply, I'm going to predict someone had more than likely found a early 4barrel intake for this motor. the 246 #prefex on the manifold doesn't necessarily corresponds with 1964 like the engine block?
Not a problem glad to have you as a member. I have learned ALOT here.

You can use a '65 4 bbl intake on your '64, assuming you still have the '64 heads. '65 4bbl intake casting number is 2465726.

4bbl heads and 2bbl heads are the same. There was no special 4bbl heads for the 273. 4bbl 273's used a domed piston to achieve the 10.5:1 compression used in these engines. The intake bolt angle and size changed for '66/'67, after which time the 273 4bbl engine was discontinued. '68/'69 273's were all 2bbl's and used a hydraulic camshaft, as opposed to the earlier engines using a solid lifter cam.

"chryslerfat" has got it right.

In the late sixties and early seventies it was fairly common to see a 4bbl manifold and carb setup for the '65 273 in a Plymouth or Dodge parts department. A few of the guys I knew with 64s went down and got the carb and manifold from the dealer parts department. I checked on the setup at my local Chrysler Plymouth dealer for my '64 Barracuda in 1970 but I couldn't afford such an expensive upgrade. He was going to make me a real deal as it had been sitting on his shelves for a few years but he still wanted $85 for the combo and that was out of my budget!!!
However, I think it was fairly common at the time for folks to upgrade their '64 or '65 2bbl motor to the factory 4bbl setup. Maybe had something to do with the reputation of the D-Dart.......

You can use a '65 4 bbl intake on your '64, assuming you still have the '64 heads. '65 4bbl intake casting number is 2465726.

4bbl heads and 2bbl heads are the same. There was no special 4bbl heads for the 273. 4bbl 273's used a domed piston to achieve the 10.5:1 compression used in these engines. The intake bolt angle and size changed for '66/'67, after which time the 273 4bbl engine was discontinued. '68/'69 273's were all 2bbl's and used a hydraulic camshaft, as opposed to the earlier engines using a solid lifter cam.

"chryslerfat" has got it right.

This information is absolutely correct and has been said many times before. Maybe we should have the specs and part numbers for the 273 4 barrell as a "sticky" at the top of the early-a section.

I think that's a good idea. I just got a book from US that Chrysler issued. I will bring out the numbers from there.

I just wanted to say thank you to all who replied, I am glad I was directed here. Sometimes a little extra help can put the puzzle together..thanks to all.. Sean

There are casting date codes on the major cast iron parts of the engine if you're curious as to the exact day and year of the part.

I don't have a 4bbl intake at the moment to look at, but if I remember correctly, it was right next to the part casting number. Sometimes they're hard to read depending on how good the casting job was. It kinda looks like a riveted tag......but isn't.

Thank you, I'm going to grab my flash light and get a closer look at it I'm curious and will get back to you when I find it...sean

Here's what the casting number and date should look like...yours will probably have a different date though....

Attachments

• 65-273IntCastNumber.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 183
-
Back