1964-65 Barracuda question

-

ValiantMike

Reaction score
My friend just called me to ask about a 1964-65 Barracuda. He said it had a 150mph speedometer and a factory tach. It has a 273 with commando on the air cleaner and dual exhaust. Is this car anything special, or just a routine Barracuda? I know that a few high performance models were produced in these years, but I'm not sure if this could be one of them. I told him to check and see what rear is in it, because I heard that the hipo cars had an 8 3/4. If anyone has more info on this I would appreciate it. Thanks Mike

Sounds like it could be a Formula S, with the particular options you mentioned. Or, it could have simply been optioned with those particular goodies. Checking the VIN would be the only sure way to tell one way or the other.

You can check here for VIN decoding info:
http://www.earlycuda.org/tech/vin.htm

If it's a '64-'65 body style it would have to be a '65. Factory tach & 150 mph speedo weren't available on '64. Neither was a Commando engine. Dual exhaust would be aftermarket. It wasn't offered by the factory. Check for the cutout area for the tailpipe on the left side of the rear valance. Also, if it's a Formula S, I think it should have quick ratio steering (3 1/2 turns lock to lock) if it has a manual box. If he's interested in parting it out, I'd like the steering box.

Thanks Cuda, I couldn't find any designation to the Fomula S package on the serial number. Only in 1966 it shows a high performance 273. Actually my friend is looking at car to buy. He says its in nice condition in and out. I'm just trying to get him some facts on the early A Barracudas. Would you know what rear the car would have had if it were a Fomula S car? Thanks Mike

The 150mph makes it a 66 and ONLY a 66 with a Commando 273 (Formula S or not). There will be no cutout in the valence because there isn't a valence. The rear axle also will not tell the story because most of the 66s still had the 7-1/4. The VIN won't tell you anything, either. Only the fender tag and broadcast sheet will tell and I don't have the codes handy.

Thanks Jim and Jeff. The plot thickens. My friend just called again and said there was no valence under rear bumper(1966), and said there was no fender tag, just the two holes where it goes. Right now the car is locked so he cannot check for the broadcast sheet. He also stated it has a 8 3/4 rear and and regular exhaust manifolds. He also said it has a front sway bar and not a rear, and that the torsion bars looked to be thick. I told him to call me with ID number and broadcast sheet(if there) and I would ask you guys for more info. Mike

Since you could practically get every option that the Formula S came with, it can be very difficult to determine without the fender tag or broadcast sheet.

Although from my experience, one is more likely to find a Formula S vs. a car that has been heavily optioned to the point of being a Formula S. - would others agree?

Some thoughts:

-The 8 3/4 could be non-original
-As mentioned, dual exhaust is not original
-front swaybar could also be non-original
-The fenders would have come with an emblem towards the front with in this case either one that said 'commando V8' or 'S' (designating a formula S).
-The 150 speedo and tach is very hard to find - I consider myself very lucky to have found one on ebay for a descent price.

Thanks Jahsh, I called my friend and told him to look for the Commando V8 or S insignia. He's supposed to meet with the owner tomorrow and check car out better and get more information. Mike

Actually in 66 the V8 or Commando emblems are low on the fender behind the wheel opening and the "S" emblem is under the Barracuda script on the front of the fender. And, yes it is more common to find an "S" than a heavily optioned non-S like I used to own. There used to be two that I knew of that ran around the bay area, but I never heard what happened to the other, which was ordered brand new by the father of the owner that I knew 20+ years ago. The other car had an auto and did not have the tach. It also had drum brakes because the stupid salesman told the buyer that they weren't available.

My four speed car had a 7-1/4 in it until I broke an axle in 1981. I already had the 67 3.23SG a-body 8-3/4, though.

I agree that you're more likely to find an S car than a heavily optioned non-S car.

There's other things to look for to verify Formula S or not --> http://www.earlyabodyforum.com/board/messages/394/407.html

A factory sway bar will look like this attached photo where it's connected to the K-frame.

3 1/2 turn fast ratio steering (16:1) was an option, not a Formula S feature. 8 3/4 rear was optional, so it could be the original rear, but who cares? An 8 3/4 rear is more desireable anyhow.

If it's not rusted out, grab that Fish man!

swaybar.jpg

I concur with all the posts, have your friend go to my cardomain site below, if the front end does not look like mine then its a 66 if it has the same rear window. Some other tell tale signs are how is it shifted? I didn't see if it was MT or AT in the posts. If its an auto and shifted on the floor you may have something. If it is on the column chances are someone built up a 6cyl car.

Depending on price and how good the body is snatch it up. If you friend decides to take a pass send me the pictures if you don't mind, I may pick it up.

Looking for my next resto now that my 64 is done.

Rick

Jim Lusk said:
There used to be two that I knew of that ran around the bay area, but I never heard what happened to the other, which was ordered brand new by the father of the owner that I knew 20+ years ago. The other car had an auto and did not have the tach. It also had drum brakes because the stupid salesman told the buyer that they weren't available.

Hey Jim, Tell me more about this missing '64-'66 barrracuda. I'm in the bay area and I know of a few running around, one of which is in my driveway. What color/ motor/year/options/ etc.

It was a 66. Ray Choi, Sr. took delivery Christmas eve. 1965. His son (Ray Choi, Jr.) obtained the car from his dad around 1982-83. They lived in the East Bay somewhere south of Oakland. The last time I saw him was around 1985.

The Barracuda was light green with a Commando 273, auto trans, handling package, drum brakes, vac guage, and console. Ray had added the then-new nylon braided hose sleeves and other "dress-up" goodies of the time to the car. I seem to recall that it had aftermarket wheels on it, too (Centerlines, maybe). I've got pics somewhere.

-
Back