1964 a833 hard to get into first gear

-
Woah the throw outbearing should not be touching the pressure plate fingers. Is it a 3 finger Borg and Beck or a Diaphram type with no coil springs but a lot of small fingers. At rest, there should be a gap for proper adjustment. Also, if you are running a Diaphram type, you need to remove the return spring on the pedal linkage under the dash.

yes its the borg and beck style. so i guess am fucked never had problems with luk clutches what a bummer, yeah i noticed how i had to be contantly adjusting the adjuster rod, before i only adjust once for like 4 years lol

Like what? Does it grind? Stop dragging this out. We're having to pull teeth here.
THIS

I already posted the major causes. And don't forget a pressure plate and disk EITHER ONE can have problems that prevent "clean" release.

Might be time to yank it all out and inspect. Make CERTAIN the pilot bearing / busing is not binding, and part of that, is making certain the bell is not damaged or somehow tilted, say, from dirt or debri between the bell and engine block

Inspect the disk and pressure plate CAREFULLY. If possible, find a press and put the flywheel, PP and disk in the press with the T/O bearing and do a "trial" release and measure pp gap

I think you have a simple clutch adjustment issue.
i wish it was the clutch adjustment, the rod is adjusted way more than i like, if i took off the return spring on the bell housing it would still return the pedal. i guess i just gotta pull the motor with the trans out and inspect that pressure plate,Throw out bearing, and disc. I never had any luck pulling the four speed out from under the car.

i wish it was the clutch adjustment, the rod is adjusted way more than i like, if i took off the return spring on the bell housing it would still return the pedal. i guess i just gotta pull the motor with the trans out and inspect that pressure plate,Throw out bearing, and disc. I never had any luck pulling the four speed out from under the car.
Really? Why? I'm old and tore up and can have it out in 30 minutes.

I just hope my transmisson is fine, i mean it gets all gears when not running very easy, hoping its just a bad clutch set.

lol is there a step by step write up? because man on all my four speeds i pull them out with the engine and put them back in with the engine.
I don't know of one. I just get under there and do it. I'll pull a transmission by itself, but if I pull an engine, I pull both. It's just easier "for me". I wonder if you have the incorrect oil pan? That could hit the center link before there's room enough to get the transmission out.

When you are stopped ;
The driveshaft is not turning, so the trans mainshaft is not turning, so the synchronizer assemblies are not turning, but;
With your foot off the clutch, and the engine idling, ALL the other parts are spinning. There is no way under this circumstance to engage any gear; the brass rings would have to drag the engine down to ZERO rpm; that ain't gonna happen.
So, to select a gear, any gear, you have to step on the clutch, so as to disengage the running engine from the input gear. When you do this and all the stuff is working, the oil viscosity will drag the spinning parts down to near zero rpm, and then the brass can do it's job the rest of the way, and the slider can then couple the two parts together.
Occasionally, the brass works really well and sticks to the brake-cone surface, and the slider teeth may end up offset from the clutching teeth by a half a tooth, and then the slider bangs onto the clutch teeth and engagement does not occur. When this happens, you let the pedal up, the parts start spinning again, then pedal down the parts slow down again, and this time you don't wait for the gears to stop spinning, before you snick it into gear. That is one scenario.
Another is;
Occasionally, especially with thin viscosity oil, and a slightly dragging clutch, the guts refuse to stop spinning. There is no way, at zero mph, that the brass ring can synchronize the spinning parts when this is going on, no matter how well it actually works under other circustances.
Another is;
Occasionally, the strut springs are too weak, and the slider starts forward prematurely, and the result is grinding.
Occasionally, a brass-ring is not round, and bites the brake-cone in only two spots, so synchronization does not want to occur, so you increase pressure on the stick, the strut springs are over-powered and same as above, grinding occurs.
Occasionally, it has happened that a particular transmission does not like a particular oil, especially synthetics. Sometimes they are just too slippery for the brass to work the brakes; and/or the viscosity is too thin to drag the spinning parts to near-zero rpm.
Somebody rightly said that reverse is the acid-test for a dragging clutch; If/when the system is working correctly, you can select reverse nearly as soon as you have stepped on the clutch, with little or no drama. But if the guts won't stop spinning, it will grind every time and no matter how long you wait.
All these situations are for a stopped car at zero mph with the engine at idle.
Occasionally the engine idle is just too high. A833s are less sensitive to this cuz the guts are friggin' heavy, and don't want to be spinning in the first place.

If your trans guts are spinning for lack of departure, you need to fix this for another reason, namely;
Whenever your clutch pedal is on the floor; the TO bearing is pushing on the clutch fingers which is pushing on the clutch-frame, on the pressure plate, on the flywheel, on the crank, and on the Crank's Thrust bearing. The Mopar T-bearing surface is fairly robust, but you are putting a lotta strain on the system, in such a predicament.
If you have a dragging clutch, here are some reasons why, in order of most to least likely;
Lack of adequate departure,
a disc that is; warped, bent, fractured, or has a broken hub,
Clutch fingers not all set to same height,
crank centerline Not same as trans centerline,
Trans face Not parallel to Block rear face
Pilot bearing dragging,
Input gear dragging in back of crank,
Mainshaft seizing in back of input gear.

as for lack of departure, here are some reasons for that;
improper freeplay adjustment,
wrong pedal-ratio,
Wrong Z-bar
Incorrect working angles; The Z-bar should be parallel to the ground, and at a right-angle to the centerline of the car, and anchored on the outboard end so that it cannot travel transversely. The downrod should be more or less centered in the oval hole. The Clutch pushrod should be pushing more or less straight back and close to parallel to the ground. The TO fork should be centered vertically in the window, and close to the front edge of it with the pedal up.

Tips;
TO forks are BH and clutch-specific; you cannot just throw any fork into any BH.
BHs are somewhat body specific, in that the Z-bar mount is not always in the right spot.
The retainer-hole n the BH is somewhat transmission-specific.
The outboard Z-bar anchor, after the angles have been set, should be welded in place.
There is provision for an anti-rattle spring, down at the TO fork, which serves double-duty to pull the TO bearing off the clutch fingers. I highly recommend that you install one.
As for oiling, I have had very good success with a 50/50 mix of Dextron II orIII, and 80/90 EP gear-oil.

Happy Hot-Rodding

Last edited:
lol is there a step by step write up? because man on all my four speeds i pull them out with the engine and put them back in with the engine.
I agree with you. When I attempted to pull my 3 speed manual, I could not see or reach most of the top BH to engine bolts, 273 V8. After cutting the transmission tunnel (on my way to converting from a 3 speed manual to a 4 speed manual), I was able to loosen the four BH to gearbox body bolts. I removed the gearbox from under, and the BH with the motor from the top.

Do yall own any REAL tools? Like some LONG 3/8 extensions and universal sockets? I mean seriously.

Do yall own any REAL tools? Like some LONG 3/8 extensions and universal sockets? I mean seriously.

It's kinda like pulling the trans out of a Tri-Five Chevy, with all the extensions you need, the ratchet ends up by the end of the tail housing.

18 minutes that last time I had my trans out, and I was smoking a cigar at the same time. LoL. On a lift, on the floor takes about 15 minutes longer.

I run scatter shields and block plates. Only one way these come off. Linkage, then cross member / drive shaft and then the 4 corner bolts on trans.

Guess if your trying to pull the trans with a stock bell, and trying to pull the 5 bell bolts it could be a real PITA…

happy Hot Rodding

It's kinda like pulling the trans out of a Tri-Five Chevy, with all the extensions you need, the ratchet ends up by the end of the tail housing.
A tri 5 had no crossmember, and the stock bells had a big enough bottom the bell did not need to be removed. I could have the gearbox out of a 55 "back then" in about 5 minutes. And that was without any fancy jacks or creeper

A tri 5 had no crossmember, and the stock bells had a big enough bottom the bell did not need to be removed. I could have the gearbox out of a 55 "back then" in about 5 minutes. And that was without any fancy jacks or creeper

Being a Mopar guy even then, it'd take me about 15 minutes IIRC. :lol:

Guess it doesnt really matter which way you do it as long as it gets done. For me i rather be standing on my feet installing my flywheel torquing my pressure plate and aligning my clutch and installing my a833. Rather spend the extra time, verses lying on my back and doing all that.

I have one 48" extension I use sometimes, along with a 36", 24" and a few shorter. so I don't need them "all". Either you wanna work on cars or not.

-
Back