1964 Convertble Dart Transmissions

-

ziemer5

Reaction score
Hey all, new to site. I have many burning questions but the first is about whether I am looking for an animal that does not exist. Does anyone know if the 1964 Dart Convertibles, with a slant 6 came with a 4 speed A883? I have seen coupes but never a convertible. That is the foundation of my dream car. Any assistance would be great. If anyone knows a good site where model specifications are that detailed would also be great. If it does not exist out there then I will look for the 3 speed and plan a swap. Thanks!

There was no difference in transmission availability in '64 Dart body styles. The column-shifted 3-speed was standard equipment and the floor-shifted A833 4-speed or the button-shifted Torqueflite automatic was optional on all models. I've seen and driven a '64 Dart convertible factory equipped with 225 engine and 4-speed transmission, and I've seen (but not driven) a '64 Dart 4-door equipped with that same powertrain.

Thanks for the help. I wanted to make sure I was not chasing after a mythical beast. My first ride was a 64 Dart Vert, auto. I am a standard transmission guy now, have a dream of replacing my first car (as most guys do) but want the 4 speed. Thanks again.

The Early A-Body A833's had a lower first than the standard and later A833's. Finding one with the Ball/Trunion drive-shaft attachment will get you as close to factory installed as possible.

I respectfully have to disagree. Its documented in more than than a few places that the 64-66 A-Body 833's had the 3.09 gear in them regardless of whether it was /6 or 273.

I was pretty sure I was right about that, but it looks (from the '64, '65, '66 FPCs) like I was wrong about that. Thanks for the correction!

-
Back