1964 Dart Owner - In Over My Head

-

fzromen

Reaction score
So I was driving by this sweet looking 1964 Dodge Dart everyday on my way to and from work that was for sale. Kept telling my wife how much I would love to own an awesome old classic like that.

One day she convinced me to stop and check it out. Next thing I know I'm now the owner of this car.

I'm an accountant by trade and never been very mechanical but I'm willing to do my best. The car is in really good shape and runs great. It's just got a few issues.

None of the gauges work except for the aftermarket tach and the alternator gauge. The tail lights only work as turn signals. I have no parking lights or brake lights. The right passenger window won't roll down. When I put two full size adults in the back seat, the oversized tires on the rear rub their sidewalls on the fenders.

I've got the service manual for the 64 dart and have started working on some of these issues.

Here's my question. I'm having a hard time finding sites that stock parts that are truly for such an old Dart. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!

First off, Welcome! Congrats on becoming an early A owner. You have the key ingredient required for satisfaction with an old car by stating your willingness to do your best. This site is a great place to find help and to locate parts. Just post your needs or specific requests for help or info. Pictures are a great help and are appreciated.

Here's the ride I'm working with.

So a couple of my concerns that I'm working on at the current time.

Best way to start working through the tail light issue? (I can live with the other wiring and gauge issues for the time being.)

I can't fill the tank up fully because the gasket where the filler neck goes into the tank is weeping when it's full. Is this a simple fix by replacing that gasket? I imagine I can drop the tank slightly to get the tank to slide clear of the filler neck and just replace that gasket?

Also, where's the best place to go looking for the door lock assemblies for the doors? The locks don't work and when I took the trim off to look about working on it, the linkage to the ferrule isn't even there. The locks in the doors are froze up so probably best to just replace all of it.

18575882_10100764765756589_611677944_o.jpg

Classic Industries will carry the fuel system grommets and gaskets. That's where I got all my rubber from when I redid the tank on my '64 Dart.

Here's my question. I'm having a hard time finding sites that stock parts that are truly for such an old Dart. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated!

Welcome. First off don't let it overwhelm you. Take an issue (let's say lights) and start a thread in the appropriate forum and I'm sure you'll get some help. Work through that, and move to the next.

Nice car!

Really nice car....if you can make it run as good as it looks you'll be very happy!!

treblig

WOW, Sweet ride. I agree with Bad Sport. Just tink on one item at a time. If you get mad at something just walk away for a day. Best part about having these old cars is they don't have to be on the road to go to work on Monday. Come back with a fresh mindset and work it through. Obviously the rear lights are a safety issue so I would start there.
Start with checking bulbs, then make sure wiring is in tact. Check for blown fuse? Enjoy it, I love the color scheme on this thing.

Nice car welcome to the site

WELCOME -- From Pa. -- You've come to the right place for info, and help.

Oh. I do like that color comb.
My later mother in laws family hails from Grafton.
If it only has "a few issues" you did alright.
Otherwise it could test your patience as a newcomer to this stuff.

The good news it is not a Mustang or Camaro.:thumbsup:
And you are here.

So I was driving by this sweet looking 1964 Dodge Dart everyday on my way to and from work that was for sale. Kept telling my wife how much I would love to own an awesome old classic like that.

One day she convinced me to stop and check it out. Next thing I know I'm now the owner of this car.

I'm an accountant by trade and never been very mechanical but I'm willing to do my best. The car is in really good shape and runs great. It's just got a few issues.

None of the gauges work except for the aftermarket tach and the alternator gauge. The tail lights only work as turn signals. I have no parking lights or brake lights. The right passenger window won't roll down. When I put two full size adults in the back seat, the oversized tires on the rear rub their sidewalls on the fenders.

I've got the service manual for the 64 dart and have started working on some of these issues.

Fzromen,

Welcome, I'm in a similar situation FABO is awesome. I can't answer any of your questions but you'll find them here. Sweet ride .

65Cudafix

Well here's a list of the issues that I know of in order of severity or desire to get fixed:

1. Tail lights not working properly (Seeing as the turn signals work and it's new bulbs. I'm betting it's a fuse or wiring issue on the front half of the car.)
2. Fuel leak at the filler gasket. (Looks like this is an cheap fix if everything cooperates.)
3. Rear tire rub when cornering and loaded down with adults in back seat. (I'm wondering if another leaf spring or a spacer would suffice to correct this issue.)
4. Gauges not working: The cause of these is various and will take a while to get corrected.
5. Door locks don't work. (Just gotta find a junkyard or site that sells the parts.)
6. Small leak in windshield rubber. (Some epoxy might stop that now.)
7. Get some exhaust fumes in cabin. (I think it's the manifold gasket's got a leak, but I mean who doesn't like smelling like the exhaust of these old cars. :) )

But worst of all, tonight while I was working on it I accidentally brushed up against the side of the car and scraped my pocket knife down the side of the car. I wound up with a gash in the paint that went all the way to the metal! ***SOB*** I've got a can of spray paint that is paint matched but it'll be a lot of work to get it blended in...

Sorry to hear about the scratch. Share some more about your car....engine details, transmission, rear axle..... We're all photo junkies here.....

First off, Welcome! Congrats on becoming an early A owner. You have the key ingredient required for satisfaction with an old car by stating your willingness to do your best. This site is a great place to find help and to locate parts. Just post your needs or specific requests for help or info. Pictures are a great help and are appreciated.
Great car!!!
I had to smile when the Grim Reaper did the welcome.....Great start to an already good lookin car!

Here's the ride I'm working with.

So a couple of my concerns that I'm working on at the current time.

Best way to start working through the tail light issue? (I can live with the other wiring and gauge issues for the time being.)

I can't fill the tank up fully because the gasket where the filler neck goes into the tank is weeping when it's full. Is this a simple fix by replacing that gasket? I imagine I can drop the tank slightly to get the tank to slide clear of the filler neck and just replace that gasket?

Also, where's the best place to go looking for the door lock assemblies for the doors? The locks don't work and when I took the trim off to look about working on it, the linkage to the ferrule isn't even there. The locks in the doors are froze up so probably best to just replace all of it.

View attachment 1715056092

My Son lives in Shinnston..He sent me pictures of that car..Good buy...I have a 64 I been working on for a while but due to medical issues I MIGHT just sell it. Keep changing my mind but just not sure. Like everybody says just take one thing at a time and work on it until fixed.

The factory service manual is a good start, but being new to old cars, you will want to get the other two books in this thread as quickly as you can; they're worth their weight in gold.

See here for leads on parts sources.

1. Tail lights not working properly (Seeing as the turn signals work and it's new bulbs. I'm betting it's a fuse or wiring issue on the front half of the car.)

No tail lights and no brake lights, but yes rear turn signals, probably means a couple of problems at the same time. Could be a faulty headlamp switch (which controls the feed to the wires that go to the dim filaments in the rear bulbs) and a faulty brake light switch (which is the first switch that controls the feed to the wires that go to the bright filaments in the rear bulbs), or a faulty headlamp switch and a faulty turn signal switch (the brake light feed goes through the turn signal switch, which sends either steady power from the brake light switch or pulsed power from the turn signal flasher to the bright filaments of the rear bulbs -- this is how you get your combination brake/turn lights in the back). Your no-tails problem could also be a blown fuse caused by a short circuit in the wires to the dim filaments, sometimes as simple as that wire chafing on the socket body at the lamp itself. Time to do some diagnosing.

2. Fuel leak at the filler gasket. (Looks like this is an cheap fix if everything cooperates.)

Which filler gasket are we talking about here? The one from the filler pipe into the top of the tank, on the floor of the trunk?

3. Rear tire rub when cornering and loaded down with adults in back seat

Rear tires on your car are considerably larger than the biggest ones envisioned for use on this car when it was designed. If the previous owner was bound and determined to use those wheels and tires, the right way to do it would have been to have the rear axle narrowed—an expensive proposition, which is probably why it wasn't done. You may well wind up going to narrower wheels/tires to address this.

4. Gauges not working: The cause of these is various and will take a while to get corrected.

Which gauges aren't working? Fuel and engine temperature gauges are controlled by a voltage regulator built into one of the gauges. This is not the same as the voltage regulator in the engine compartment that controls the vehicle's line voltage; the instrument cluster voltage regulator (ICVR) provides 5 volts to run the fuel and temp gauges. Best way forward if your ICVR has failed is to proceed per this page (using the electronic regulator the linked company offers). Note that the ICVR can fail in two ways: open (no power) or closed (full vehicle line voltage). If it fails open, installing a working ICVR will probably bring the gauges back. If it fails closed, the gauges will peg and then burn out (they're getting about 13 volts and they run on 5...), so replacement or rebuild of the gauges will be necessary.

Other potential causes of nonworking fuel and temp gauges include faulty fuel and temp gauge senders (fuel sender at tank, temp sender at engine), or faulty wiring between sender and gauge.

If your third gauge, the ammeter, is not working, that's a different matter; if the car's electrics work at all (even if some of them don't), but the ammeter doesn't register, it's either because the ammeter itself is faulty or someone has bypassed it.

5. Door locks don't work. (Just gotta find a junkyard or site that sells the parts.)

New door locks for the pre-'66 cars are difficult and costly. You can upgrade to the easy-and-cheap-to-buy '66-up locks without much difficulty; see threads here and here. New pair of '66-up locks is here. Gary Goers has the lock-to-door gaskets; he's listed at the parts-sources link given above. If you want the ignition and doors to take the same key as they did from the factory, you'll want to take the ignition lock to a good locksmith once you've got the new door locks, and have the locksmith rekey the one to match the other two.

6. Small leak in windshield rubber. (Some epoxy might stop that now.)

These cars are sort of infamous for water leaks up front. Sometimes they come from the windshield gasket itself—don't use epoxy or you'll hate yourself in the future when it comes time to replace the glass and/or gasket. If you've determined it really, truly is the windshield gasket that's leaking, and the gasket and glass are in basically good shape, take the car to a good auto glass shop and have them strategically apply urethane or butyl windshield sealant compound under the gasket.

But a very common leak that acts just like a windshield gasket leak is water coming in past the windshield wiper shafts. There's a kit available with all the seals and bits needed to fix this. It's not expensive and it's not terribly difficult to install. I have one of these, new in package, on my shelf and I'm not going to use it (sold my '64); I'll send you a PM.

7. Get some exhaust fumes in cabin.

There are lots of holes in the firewall of these cars. Most of them have stuff running through them, but not well sealed. Get a package of strip caulk from the hardware store and go on a mission to find and plug holes. It helps to have bright light on one side of the firewall and deep darkness on the other. Also take a careful look at the hood-to-cowl seal; make sure it's present and intact and in good shape. You can get a new one from Gary Goers (info above).

Also, make sure the engine's PCV (crankcase ventilation) system is correctly configured. If the hood scoop and "340" callout are to be believed, this car has had an engine swap. There should be a breather cap on one of the valve covers, and on the other cover there should be a PCV valve with a hose running to the carburetor. If there isn't, if instead there's another breather cap, that's going to have you huffing crankcase fumes pretty much nonstop, even with good hood/cowl and firewall seals. If it's actual exhaust, then yes, manifold gaskets are where to start. It is very much worth your while to get the good Remflex gaskets.

I accidentally brushed up against the side of the car and scraped my pocket knife down the side of the car. I wound up with a gash in the paint that went all the way to the metal!

Sooner or later all of us wish we had a time machine that would take us ten seconds into the past like this.

Have a look at this thread for ideas what to do once you've got the car's immediate needs squared away.

Last edited:
taillights are probably the easiest to fix, they are a straight shot into the headlight switch (black wire to R terminal). trace them out. too fat a tire in back? Sell them here and buy some skinnier ones. everyone is looking for decent fat 14's. Window regulator is simple once you get the inner panel off and eyeball it, Probably a broken pin somewhere.

Which filler gasket are we talking about here? The one from the filler pipe into the top of the tank, on the floor of the trunk?

It's the gasket from the filler pipe into the tank.

Rear tires on your car are considerably larger than the biggest ones envisioned for use on this car when it was designed. If the previous owner was bound and determined to use those wheels and tires, the right way to do it would have been to have the rear axle narrowed—an expensive proposition, which is probably why it wasn't done. You may well wind up going to narrower wheels/tires to address this.

I really like the look. Can I not just stiffen the leaf springs to raise the body up a bit? It really seems it's a bottoming out issue.

Which gauges aren't working? Fuel and engine temperature gauges are controlled by a voltage regulator built into one of the gauges. This is not the same as the voltage regulator in the engine compartment that controls the vehicle's line voltage; the instrument cluster voltage regulator (ICVR) provides 5 volts to run the fuel and temp gauges. Best way forward if your ICVR has failed is to proceed per this page (using the electronic regulator the linked company offers). Note that the ICVR can fail in two ways: open (no power) or closed (full vehicle line voltage). If it fails open, installing a working ICVR will probably bring the gauges back. If it fails closed, the gauges will peg and then burn out (they're getting about 13 volts and they run on 5...), so replacement or rebuild of the gauges will be necessary.

Other potential causes of nonworking fuel and temp gauges include faulty fuel and temp gauge senders (fuel sender at tank, temp sender at engine), or faulty wiring between sender and gauge.

If your third gauge, the ammeter, is not working, that's a different matter; if the car's electrics work at all (even if some of them don't), but the ammeter doesn't register, it's either because the ammeter itself is faulty or someone has bypassed it.

The only gauges that are working are the aftermarket tach, the temp gauge, and the "alternator" gauge which I believe you are calling the ammeter.

These cars are sort of infamous for water leaks up front. Sometimes they come from the windshield gasket itself—don't use epoxy or you'll hate yourself in the future when it comes time to replace the glass and/or gasket. If you've determined it really, truly is the windshield gasket that's leaking, and the gasket and glass are in basically good shape, take the car to a good auto glass shop and have them strategically apply urethane or butyl windshield sealant compound under the gasket.

But a very common leak that acts just like a windshield gasket leak is water coming in past the windshield wiper shafts. There's a kit available with all the seals and bits needed to fix this. It's not expensive and it's not terribly difficult to install. I have one of these, new in package, on my shelf and I'm not going to use it (sold my '64); I'll send you a PM.

My leak is at the top of the windshield on the passenger side. It's not a terrible one but when I got caught in a light shower, it did drip through right there.

There are lots of holes in the firewall of these cars. Most of them have stuff running through them, but not well sealed. Get a package of strip caulk from the hardware store and go on a mission to find and plug holes. It helps to have bright light on one side of the firewall and deep darkness on the other. Also take a careful look at the hood-to-cowl seal; make sure it's present and intact and in good shape. You can get a new one from Gary Goers (info above).

Also, make sure the engine's PCV (crankcase ventilation) system is correctly configured. If the hood scoop and "340" callout are to be believed, this car has had an engine swap. There should be a breather cap on one of the valve covers, and on the other cover there should be a PCV valve with a hose running to the carburetor. If there isn't, if instead there's another breather cap, that's going to have you huffing crankcase fumes pretty much nonstop, even with good hood/cowl and firewall seals. If it's actual exhaust, then yes, manifold gaskets are where to start. It is very much worth your while to get the good Remflex gaskets.

It's funny you should mention the hood scoop and 340 callout. It's got a slant six under the hood.

I appreciate your input and will definitely be putting all of it to use very soon!
18641566_10100764773660749_958506636_o(1).jpg

18641612_10100764773695679_499148110_o.jpg

Welcome from PA. Seems like most of your questions are answered, get helper shocks for the rear (coil over shocks) They are usually listed for towing that way you do not have to lift the springs and change the stance, Like Dan said a Factory service Manual is you best friend.

Ah, a Slant-6, that's the best kind. :) Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread, and carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Your PCV hookup looks correct, but you'll want to make sure it's actually working -- pull the PCV valve off the rear of the valve cover with the engine idling and put your thumb over the inside end of it. Does your thumb get immediately and firmly sucked onto the end of the valve? If so, great. If not, you've got some maintenance to do.

Extra-stiff rear springs might reduce the tire/car contact, but probably won't eliminate it all the way until you've made the springs so stiff that the car is unpleasant and/or unsafe to drive.

Now with links, it is very much worth your while to get the good gaskets for the manifolds-to-head, intake-to-exhaust, and manifold-to-headpipe junctions to seal up the exhaust leaks.

The previous owner's air cleaner modification (cutting off the body of the lid that used to drop down over the sides of the air cleaner element) was not as clever as he thought. All it does is make the engine louder—without any (other) benefit.

The single-pot brake master cylinder speaks of original (underspecified) brakes. Hit that last link in my previous post in this thread sooner than later.

Welcome, nice car! No big belt buckles or dangling keys or tools from your belt when working on car. Sweat pants in the winter in garage and nice soft shorts in summer, that should reduce the chance of scratching the paint :) Best of luck

Well the good news was the tail light issue was a quick fix of some shoddy wiring and a blown fuse. So I have tail lights and a dome light.

By the way the part of the door locks that I don't have is the rod that connects the lock knob and the key lock all together. I'm sure I could get the door lock cylinders out and work on them to get them to work again. Suggestions on where to find the rod piece?

Wow. That is one sweet Dart. Love the color too. Had I been in your position to drive by it for a while, it likely would have followed me home....

It can help when doing a search to type in "Valiant" since now "Dart" gets you stuff for the new Dart. For mechanical parts which your Dart would share with the Valiant.

-
Back