1964 Dart

-

DartVader64

Reaction score
Bought this Dart on EBay and drove out of state to get it. They said it ran, glad we brought a trailer. It had an old motor in the trunk and we barely got it up on the trailer. I don't know how they put that motor in the trunk. We took off the trunk lid and hoisted it out.

View attachment image-2564209758.jpg

Really nice to see pics starting from where the car sat when you picked it up. That car has found a good caretaker.

Sweet! 1964 Dart post cars rock!
I'm looking forward to see more.

Here is my GT. Just starting a 383 project.

_MG_0177L.jpg

Neat! I wouldn't mind if my trunk had a spare engine in it. Although I'd be using a hoist to get it out too.

Glenn

The motor in the trunk looks

View attachment image-307263115.jpg

like an old 170 and I honestly believe it is the original motor. the motor that is actually in the car now is a 225 and I've got to check the numbers but I think it is like a later like maybe late 60s early 70s 225 but I'm having problems with it overheating right now so i have to change the water pump.

Work Day

Attachments

• image-1909869393.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 196
  • image-2134870642.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 202
looks good! I'm partial to '64 Darts, I've had 2 of them.

Check that the engine was swapped properly, if you get a nasty vibration at high rpm it is likely a couple of things:

1. Oil pan is the later one, the later pan will sit on the k-member and vibrate through the car. It might also be rubbing on the steering drag link - that could cause the pan to wear through and leak. You can either shim the motor mount about 1/4 inch (cheap, quick solution) or swap to the original oil pan (better, since you have it in the trunk).

2. They might have bolted up the torque converter without the crank centering ring. This will cause a nasty high-rpm vibration and tear out the front pump seal/bushing in the transmission.

It's funny, as I look at your pics I realize that my old Dart was EXACTLY like that one. White/red 170 2-door with heater delete. Mine had power steering though.

-
Back