1964 Merc Comet

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been ready to sell down to 2 pretty much done cars, as at 74 I am about wore out, but then I made the trip to the cardiologist and he demanded I stay as active as I can. Yea right! I had 5 cars, I sold the 49 Dodge project and my 64 Saboy more than half done. Gone. Over the last 40 years I have done 99% all Mopar and only drug home a few 70s Vettes an a 67 Camaro to sit my the shop to flip. OK so many Mopars came and went. Today the fleet consists of a 64 more door Belvedere, a 62 Lancer, and a 75 AMC Hornet. Diversified! I have always admired some brand Z and X cars. I like affordable projects that I LIKE.

So, I am on the hunt for a 64 or 5 Comet. Why not the Ford brothers? I like the looks of the Mercs better, and CHEAPER!!! I have found 2 good candidates, 64 2 door post cars, l6 cars, decent Texas material. I goal will be to add a Ford SB, be it a 289 or whatever.

Way back about 87 or 88? maybe, a guy calls me upan asks if I was interested in a 66 or 67 Cyclone GT. I said, NO its not a Mopar! ha, but I have a bud that loves Fords, he might. Soild 390 car, runs/drives..$400. Wish the heck I was not predudiced back then! Well my bud goes to look, then beats the poor guy down to $350 and drives it home no issue. I felt bad for the seller! We take it to another bud there in the Mo. sticks that had a one man body shop (Critter's body and paint) , and they make it like new again. Then he sells the darn thing! end of story.

I know FABO has a lot of guys that are into cars other brands than good ole Mopar. Just wondering if any guys here are into 64-5 Ford/Merc. I do have one Mopar bud that is a long time Ford guy. If you are reading this Stephen, I will give YOU a call too!!
How bout you RRR you even had such?

if i could, i would buy a 66 fairlane gta. i got too many trucks and can't sell the 1 i have done and ready for cheap. i had a 66 gta when younger and a 64 falcon. if i was to get a car like you want, i would find a mustang and transplant the "everything" into it. GOOD LUCK .

It will get a Ford SB, Exploder 8'8, Smittybilt A100 style Bostrum style buckets, NEED no back seat, the Cyclone style hood. I will fab the scoops out of 20 ga. mild steel. The car will be just a fun driver. It will probably gonly as fast as a cheap motor will haul it!!! I'm not cheap just thrifty!! :poke:

<~~~~~~ '66 Ranchero 289 4spd first hot rod. Dad ordered it with the 275 horse 289 and 4spd :D . The addition of a Torker and a Crower cam really woke that little motor up :D. You know you did something right when the CHP officer stops you after burning the tires through the first 3 gears and says "Well, I seen ya before I heard ya." and let me go with a big grin on his face after.

My first car was a 49 Chevy dad gave me to get to school and my afternoon job at the A & P Grocery in 1964. It woreout quickly ( already woreout), and then I got a 64 Ford Custom 2 door 289 car that had already a lot of miles on it. Then I graduatd HS and started at a 2 year college about 1 hour away there in S W Ga. ABAC (Abraham Baldwin Ag College in Tifton) that was founded way back about 1888 or so. This was 1966 and it took me 3 years to graduate a 2 year college! I'd rather been training horses.

It was a suitcase college and everyone went home on weekends unless they lived too far away. IN 1966 thru 68 ther were lots of kids there with "muscle cars" you name it. I had some buds that were buds with a kid that had a 65 Mustang coupe, 289 4 speed. Did not even have a tach, he shifted by ear. He would run anyone for $100 on a back road quarter. He seldom lost to anything. $100 was a lot of money back then. He had a guy back in his hometown that "tuned" it every weekend. He claimed it was stock, but we figured it had a Shelby motor. Stock my ***.

My first car was a 49 Chevy dad gave me to get to school and my afternoon job at the A & P Grocery in 1964. It woreout quickly ( already woreout), and then I got a 64 Ford Custom 2 door 289 car that had already a lot of miles on it. Then I graduatd HS and started at a 2 year college about 1 hour away there in S W Ga. ABAC (Abraham Baldwin Ag College in Tifton) that was founded way back about 1888 or so. This was 1966 and it took me 3 years to graduate a 2 year college! I'd rather been training horses.

It was a suitcase college and everyone went home on weekends unless they lived too far away. IN 1966 thru 68 ther were lots of kids there with "muscle cars" you name it. I had some buds that were buds with a kid that had a 65 Mustang coupe, 289 4 speed. Did not even have a tach, he shifted by ear. He would run anyone for $100 on a back road quarter. He seldom lost to anything. $100 was a lot of money back then. He had a guy back in his hometown that "tuned" it every weekend. He claimed it was stock, but we figured it had a Shelby motor. Stock my ***.

Shelby 289's were 271 hp motors were an intake change and a Holley.

Shelby 289's were 271 hp motors were an intake change and a Holley.

Another true story. Way back in the early 90s, I worked for a seed co.there in Mo. I was out riding the country in the co. pickup. sorta lost. I stopped at a farmhouse on this blacktop becasue I saw a 65 Stang sitting beside a pole building and the guy was there. Thought maybe ther old be a Mopara bout! So we got to talking old cars and he ays, let me show yu whatI have in the shed. It was a 65 R model stang. That would have been a 289 I figure. He had found it sitting in a darn cow pasture in Kansas. He built it back to original. He said, he had it up to 160 and it was scary fast. Of course, that speed may well be fiction.
I was telling a Mopar bud about it in K.C. and he had a brother in Idaho big into the exotic Stangs. He told me if I could get him in contact with that guy, a big finders fee would he paid if it could be bought. Probably worth silly $ even back then. I tried to find that shed and when I did, it had burned to the ground. Never did see the owner again.
Go figure.

Another true story. Way back in the early 90s, I worked for a seed co.there in Mo. I was out riding the country in the co. pickup. sorta lost. I stopped at a farmhouse on this blacktop becasue I saw a 65 Stang sitting beside a pole building and the guy was there. Thought maybe ther old be a Mopara bout! So we got to talking old cars and he ays, let me show yu whatI have in the shed. It was a 65 R model stang. That would have been a 289 I figure. He had found it sitting in a darn cow pasture in Kansas. He built it back to original. He said, he had it up to 160 and it was scary fast. Of course, that speed may well be fiction...

They were really fast, 160 mph is in the realm of possibilities depending on gears. We built my brother Mark a 271 hp clone in a 65 Mustang coupe. I did not drive it much but it was very quick and fast.

-
Back