1964 Plymouth Valiant Project

-

SettinTrendz

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm a new member here and thought I'd share my wife’s 1964 Plymouth Valiant Convertible project.
Karalin, my wife, wanted an "old car". She loves and sees the beauty in most all classics, but when it came time to choose a car for herself, she narrowed it down to mid-sixties compacts. She just didn’t want a full sized "boat", as she calls even the smallest of the full size classics. We decided on a Dart. After searching locally for a decent candidate without much success, we put the idea on the back burner.
While visiting a customers ranch to help with a few odds and ends on his custom, I noticed what looked to be a fatter version of a ‘Cuda bodyline peeking it’s nose out of a barn. But this “Barracuda” had a grill that just didn’t belong. He invited me to take a look… Yea, this was no ‘Cuda. I had no idea what it was. After being thoroughly amused at the puzzled looks on my face, he filled me in. 1964 Plymouth Valiant.
This would be perfect for Karalin. Compact. Two door. Two-owner. 26k original miles. Push button shift. Convertible. And best of all… Very Different! We struck a deal and I brought it home as an early Christmas present in mid-December 2005. I then put it out in the storage yard while I opened up a spot at the shop for it.
“A couple months, tops.” I told her. “Then we’ll get crackin on it.”
Famous last words. Hahaha. A couple months turned into about five and a half years. We both seemed to get the itch to get it going, so after locating it under four-foot-tall weeds and digging it out, we dug in.

As it sat in 2005 after pulling out of the barn of the previous, and second owner…
100_1110.jpg

100_1109.jpg

100_1112.jpg

After pulling it outta the weeds 5.5 years later. Cleaned it up, and got her running. First drive with my two little cuties...

228057_2070455367889_3741108_n.jpg

Rendering of the goal...

kara800x618.jpg

Not as radical in the wheel department, but I have a head start on you. Now it also has the Signet side trim and a white top.
DSC00091.jpg

Thanks guys. Glad to be here!

Gary- Your car looks fantastic!!! Very similar to the color we landed on. Just a hair lighter. I love it :thumbup:

Kara's car had some poor bodywork done on one quarter, and a little bit of rust, but nothing too major on the main body. I did replace 4 small sections of floor as well before sealing and coating it. All-in-all, a good car to start with.

Tear down begins...

IMG_20110603_155111.jpg

Only two small areas of rust had to be replaced...

IMG_20110605_124321.jpg

IMG_20110605_125655.jpg

IMG_20110605_123921.jpg

A little mud work...

IMG_20110606_180115.jpg

IMG_20110606_180148.jpg

I skipped all the pics of the blocking, priming, and more blocking and priming.

Jambs gettin a new coat!

IMG_5056.jpg

IMG_5057.jpg

IMG_5062.jpg

IMG_5061.jpg

IMG_5060.jpg

IMG_5059.jpg

IMG_5058.jpg

I think I saw a citicar in the back of one of the pics. My brother has a red citicar he bought back in the early 89s

That belt line molding look awesome in the pic, was never a fan of those front fender lines but that rendering makes them look Kool, keep up the good work.

That belt line molding look awesome in the pic, was never a fan of those front fender lines but that rendering makes them look Kool, keep up the good work.

Thanks! Its funny, I actually love the front fender bullet bodylines. I'm actually looking for those chrome belt line moldings. Thatss one of the few things that was missing. Didnt know it was missing them till we uncovered all the holes, bondoed over. If you know where I might find some, let me know.

-
Back