1964 Plymouth Valiant Signet 200 Convertible

-

theFightingFew

Always Learning/1975 Valiant Custom/1974 Valiant
Reaction score
[[[ POST UPDATED AS HELPFUL MEMBERS POINTED OUT IT IS A 63 ]]]

The other weekend I made a 5 hour roundtrip journey in my 75 Valiant to go check out this 63 (not 64) convertible. The gentleman who currently owns it bought the building it is in on a tax sale. It is packed in there with a few other cars that also came with the building.

From initial pictures I saw I was hoping to make a deal on it but after getting there and inspecting it more closely I have to face the hard truth I’ll (probably) have to pass on making an offer (though I'm still thinking about it) so I’m sharing it with you guys.

It will need far more work than I had hoped to get it on the road and though I’m fully confident I could tackle the job (thanks FABO) but unfortunately don’t have the space required to work on it the way it needs to get worked on.
  • The rust damage is more comprehensive than I had hoped. Obviously the quarter panels have issues. There have been some spots that have already been patched with fiberglass - and those were the only ones I could see. More concerning, there are some areas of the frame that are quite questionable. There seemed to be some sort of distortion in the rear passenger side floor pan but it was hard to see if it was rot or some sort of other damage.
  • The 170 Slant six that is in there could be original to the car which is pretty awesome but when I pulled the dipstick there was a pretty strong smell of gasoline which could be a number of things of course but I’m sure that the motor will need most likely to be rebuilt/refreshed - which is probably why that “newer” 225 slant six is sitting on the floor which he did say he’d throw in with it. There didn't seem to be water in the oil.
  • I also suspect that the gas tank is leaking which may be why those pans are sitting back there under it and taking into account the other items the fuel lines will need to be replaced.
  • Obviously the tires are shot.
  • Exhaust line from the engine back is toast.
  • Driveshaft would need an overhaul. Couldn't see the transmission or rear end condition.
  • Rust present on the undercarriage (k-frame, control arms, spindles) I'm suspecting the brake lines and brakes themselves will all need to be completely rebuilt/replaced. The master cylinder looks pretty chewed up.
  • Shocks, struts and leaf-springs need to be replaced
  • Wiring looked whole from what I could see - as in no rodent damage.
  • The interior looked decent considering the age. Top looked decent.
  • He is working through getting the title.
It is a beautiful car and deserves to get back on the road. My dreams of rag top rambling are crushed… but maybe yours don’t have to be.

I would be happy to try coordinate a discussion with the current owner if anyone is interested and wants to PM me about it.

IMG_20210307_124127.jpg

IMG_20210307_125238.jpg

IMG_20210307_124717.jpg

IMG_20210307_124657.jpg

IMG_20210307_123900.jpg

IMG_20210307_124706.jpg

IMG_20210307_123759.jpg

IMG_20210307_123747.jpg

IMG_20210307_124611.jpg

IMG_20210307_124633.jpg

Last edited:
Yes all, sorry it is a 63 - not sure how to edit the title!?

I actually realized that when typing this up but forgot to go back and edit. Owner thought it was a 64, I appreciate the correction :)

Last edited:
-
Back