1964 plymouth valiant with 225/60/15s for the front

-

64whiteghost

Reaction score
Hello guys. Thanks for all the help

I know this subject has been spoken of here but i wanted to start my own thread to hit on my specific set up

So i have a full QA1 upper and lower suspension along with the QA1 Strut Bars. I am running wheel vintique big bolt pattern 15x6 with 4.25 backspacing. I mounted my bfgoodrich 225/60/15s and they clear at full lock each way and at full suspension pushed up. See the picture attached.

Im wondering if i can make it clear more before modifying the lip on my fender. I want 225s so no thanks if you will suggest 215s. Im looking for advice on how to maintain the 225s i want.

Would the QA1 adjustable strut rods and being able to adjust the Camber help ?

Thank you !!

20231011_125303.jpg

20231011_124834.jpg

Last edited:
so if they clear lock to lock and at full compression what's the issue?

Ive read how
so if they clear lock to lock and at full compression what's the issue?
Ive read how when turning or hitting a bump it may move the wheel?

I guess also just want to know if doing a negative camber would help it out more for aggressive street driving ?

20231011_124812.jpg

Last edited:
Ive read how

Ive read how when turning or hitting a bump it may move the wheel?

I guess also just want to know if doing a negative camber would help it out more for aggressive street driving ?

View attachment 1716154963
that's closer than i'd want it, and likely to cause a logistical issue between the tire fender.

turn it out about full lock and compress the suspension and see if the tire contacts the fender anywhere-- likely it will-- then make adjustments from there: rolling lips, ride height, etc.

i had to be extra cautious when i was running 225's on my 69 cuda on entering driveways or divergent approaches. i had some rubbing in the center of the fender that i alleviated by partially rolling the lip and raising the ride height a smidge. and that was with the cavernous area of that body. so i'm guessing you're gonna be trimming somewhere.

that's closer than i'd want it, and likely to cause a logistical issue between the tire fender.

turn it out about full lock and compress the suspension and see if the tire contacts the fender anywhere-- likely it will-- then make adjustments from there: rolling lips, ride height, etc.

i had to be extra cautious when i was running 225's on my 69 cuda on entering driveways or divergent approaches. i had some rubbing in the center of the fender that i alleviated by partially rolling the lip and raising the ride height a smidge. and that was with the cavernous area of that body. so i'm guessing you're gonna be trimming somewhere.
So it doeant rub at all. But when its halfway through its turning cycle the tire comes 1/8 from the corner of the lip and when the wheel is straight it is 1 3/4 from the lip.

Would negative camber help?

I dont plan on having the car low. Looking stock height

I'm assuming that pic is the front edge of the wheel well (hard to tell with the car covered in paper).
I'm not sure about the '64 Valiant specifically, but most A bodies have a fender brace going to that corner of the fender lip- many times you can gain additional clearance by lengthening that brace by 1/2, 3/4, or even a full inch. Play with it to see what works for you. Extending it by an inch or less isn't even noticeable appearance-wise. If your car doesn't use fender braces in that location, it might be a good excuse to add them.
1697585485894.png

(Pic stolen from @72bluNblu )

I'm assuming that pic is the front edge of the wheel well (hard to tell with the car covered in paper).
I'm not sure about the '64 Valiant specifically, but most A bodies have a fender brace going to that corner of the fender lip- many times you can gain additional clearance by lengthening that brace by 1/2, 3/4, or even a full inch. Play with it to see what works for you. Extending it by an inch or less isn't even noticeable appearance-wise. If your car doesn't use fender braces in that location, it might be a good excuse to add them.
View attachment 1716155003
That was gona be my other question. Ive seen that. But no my car didnt come with that. Where can i buy those ?

View attachment 1716155003
Oh wow I just realized he notched the little corner that is outlined!
Thats genius ! might give that a try.. Thank you !

Not all A-bodies had those bumper to fender corner braces, I don't think Barracuda's had them even on the '67-69 cars. They were stock on most of the other models, like they were on my Duster and my Darts.

Adding a brace like that might gain you some room, but I think the curvature of the wheel opening bringing the corner back in is probably the biggest issue.

I think the most helpful modification would be something like @mosleyme did to his Barracuda, with taking a small pie-shape out of the bottom of the fender to move the corner in and recontour the opening a bit..

1968 Barracuda Front Fender Modification for 26" Tires

You don't want to use the QA1 adjustable strut rods to push the tire back further as that will take away positive caster from the suspension, which you don't want to lose. And running more negative camber won't effect the clearance at that corner all that much.

Not all A-bodies had those bumper to fender corner braces, I don't think Barracuda's had them even on the '67-69 cars. They were stock on most of the other models, like they were on my Duster and my Darts.

Adding a brace like that might gain you some room, but I think the curvature of the wheel opening bringing the corner back in is probably the biggest issue.

I think the most helpful modification would be something like @mosleyme did to his Barracuda, with taking a small pie-shape out of the bottom of the fender to move the corner in and recontour the opening a bit..

1968 Barracuda Front Fender Modification for 26" Tires

You don't want to use the QA1 adjustable strut rods to push the tire back further as that will take away positive caster from the suspension, which you don't want to lose. And running more negative camber won't effect the clearance at that corner all that much.
Got it !

Yea. I went back to my car today and cutting that little bit ia very doable. I havent started on restoring my paint so what better time then now

to answer your question on camber: no, i don't think it will help with the situation here. besides, running too much camber is detrimental.

What brake setup do you have on the front of the car? I just put the 73+ spindle based disks on mine and it pushed the wheels out causing rubbing issues in the exact same spot on my 65.

What brake setup do you have on the front of the car? I just put the 73+ spindle based disks on mine and it pushed the wheels out causing rubbing issues in the exact same spot on my 65.
I have the A1 upper and lowers with the Dr Diff 11.75 disc brake kit.

Im most likely going to cutt the littlw corner that is pretty close. But I also read how your ride height can eliviate the rubbing

Forgot to ask where are you rubbing ?

I have the exact same brake kit. They push the will mount surface out a lot. Mine are rubbing in the same spot. More on the passenger side. I’ve tried raising and lowering the suspension but no luck. My tires are a little taller than yours also. Also mine is a 65 but has 64 fenders. I’m debating either shorter tires or ripping the brakes off and going back to the 9” spindles and Wilwood or Aerospace brakes. I hate how much these brakes move the hubs out.

IMG_8821.jpeg

IMG_8822.jpeg

I also tried with my 15x5.5 Steelies with 3.5” backspace and same tires (165/80R/15) and they rubbed in the same front corner.
BTW- I love the look of those BFGs on your car. That profile looks perfect. If the wheels had a little more backspace I think you’d be in the clear.

I have the exact same brake kit. They push the will mount surface out a lot. Mine are rubbing in the same spot. More on the passenger side. I’ve tried raising and lowering the suspension but no luck. My tires are a little taller than yours also. Also mine is a 65 but has 64 fenders. I’m debating either shorter tires or ripping the brakes off and going back to the 9” spindles and Wilwood or Aerospace brakes. I hate how much these brakes move the hubs out.

View attachment 1716157147

View attachment 1716157148
Thats weird. Mine doesnt sitt that close. Only when i turn the wheel. What other upgrades do you have ?

Your lip looks different than mine. It seems to ve bending back way more than mine.

The close up is the wheel turned. And as you can see my lip seems to not curl back like what yours is doing.

20231011_124832.jpg

20231011_124812.jpg

Mine touches on the passenger side only when I turn it in. The driver side clears when the car is set a little higher, but it’s close. I’ve tried trimming the corner of the pass side to get more clearance. I’m going to try a lower profile tire.

On my Dart, I just used a baseball bat in between the tire and inside of the fender lip to push the fender lip outward a little to get more clearance. Basically folded the inside lip against the outside of the fender, and it makes a difference. I'm running 225/50R16s with no rubbing. The clearance modifications are hardly noticeable; you might be able to figure out that I did something if I parked it next to another '66 Dart.

On my Dart, I just used a baseball bat in between the tire and inside of the fender lip to push the fender lip outward a little to get more clearance. Basically folded the inside lip against the outside of the fender, and it makes a difference. I'm running 225/50R16s with no rubbing. The clearance modifications are hardly noticeable; you might be able to figure out that I did something if I parked it next to another '66 Dart.
When I read the first nine words "On my Dart, I just used a baseball bat...", I thought 'Here we go, I've felt like that some days too'- but as I read the rest of it I realized that you did a legitimate modification. Good job, although I must admit to a bit of disappointment, as I've always had that urge on bad days.
:lol:

-
Back